Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sarah's Restaurant on Mack

Hi, folks! I'm new to this board, let me introduce myself. I was born and raised in Detroit, grew up on Newport between Mack and Charlevoix. I moved to Texas back in the 80's. My family and friends have either passed away or moved on, and I haven't been back to the old place for years. According to Google Street, my childhood home and most of the others on the block have long since been torn down, just vacant land now. I remember many businesses on Mack, including A&P, Kresge's, Bank of Commonwealth, Walker Chevrolet, etc. I also remember some small, independent businesses, including a tiny, hole-in-the-wall type place. It was a small restaurant, run by a woman named Sarah. The official name was Wimpy's, but everyone called it Sarah's. I remember she was a large woman [[at least she seemed large to me as a kid), with white hair always in a bun, and a bright face and bright blue eyes. Does anyone else remember her? Her business just closed one day, like most along that area. According to my grandfather, her husband was a disabled WWI vet who lived in the upstairs apt. So....does anyone else remember this place? Anyone know the story of Sarah, where she came from, where she went after closing her business? Just something that I'm curious about......thanks!

Whereabouts on Mack, would the restaurant be located? Newport?

In 1954 it was at 14206 Mack near Newport.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-History/page3

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    In 1954 it was at 14206 Mack near Newport.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-History/page3
    Thanks! That list is a true treasure, gives a complete list of all the businesses along Mack! Now to start to find "Sarah", anyone else here remember her? Also, this list includes "petite Flower and Gift Shop" we always called it Lillian's, because the owner was Lillian. She lived in a small apartment in the back of the shop. Rumor had it she was a concentration camp survivor. She always wore long sleeves. We kids would try to catch a glimpse of her arm to see if she had a prisoner number branded, as it was rumored. She had a thick, German accent, but my mother said she was Dutch. I've also always wondered about her background and eventual fate. Anyone remember her? Oh, BTW, I'm talking about Mack between Newport and Lakewood, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
    Hi, folks! I'm new to this board, let me introduce myself. I was born and raised in Detroit, grew up on Newport between Mack and Charlevoix. I moved to Texas back in the 80's. My family and friends have either passed away or moved on, and I haven't been back to the old place for years. According to Google Street, my childhood home and most of the others on the block have long since been torn down, just vacant land now. I remember many businesses on Mack, including A&P, Kresge's, Bank of Commonwealth, Walker Chevrolet, etc. I also remember some small, independent businesses, including a tiny, hole-in-the-wall type place. It was a small restaurant, run by a woman named Sarah. The official name was Wimpy's, but everyone called it Sarah's. I remember she was a large woman [[at least she seemed large to me as a kid), with white hair always in a bun, and a bright face and bright blue eyes. Does anyone else remember her? Her business just closed one day, like most along that area. According to my grandfather, her husband was a disabled WWI vet who lived in the upstairs apt. So....does anyone else remember this place? Anyone know the story of Sarah, where she came from, where she went after closing her business? Just something that I'm curious about......thanks!
    There was a Wimpy's bar someplace else on the east side. I think it was on East Warren near Alter. I think it was open up until about 15 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think we're talking about the same place. Sarah just closed up shop one day, I think sometime in the late 60's. She did have a steady business in the 50-60's, then I guess business just declined all along the Mack area.

It was on Mack between Newport and Lakewood.

Hi Suzy and welcome to the board.

Softailrider- Wimpys was on East Warren, by Outer Drive. Before that it was Sabre Lancer

Also, does anyone remember Lillian's? Officially known as Petite Flower and Gift Shop on Mack between Newport and Lakewood, from back in the 50's--60's. It was a trinket type store, crafts, cards, etc.