Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Megabus cancelled Detroit-Cleveland-Pittsburgh route

I'm surprised this was never mentioned in the media around here. When it first commenced, it certainly was. I was looking to go to Cleveland soon to visit a cousin and realized it. This is too bad...

http://www.mlive.com/business/ann-ar..._non-chic.html

Doesn't all of the MegaBus service to Detroit go through Ann Arbor? So, there is no more MegaBus service to Detroit anymore? Did I interpret this correctly?

On May 6, MegaBus will no longer provide services from Ann Arbor to Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland or Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Doesn't all of the MegaBus service to Detroit go through Ann Arbor? So, there is no more MegaBus service to Detroit anymore? Did I interpret this correctly?

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    It looks like buses are still running from Detroit -> Ann Arbor -> Chicago

Aggghhhhh I was going to visit my friend in Pittsburgh at the end of the summer for the Pennsylvania Pinball show! The way the article and release word things makes it sound like they were just discontinuing the Ann Arbor -> Pittsburgh route, but its basically "Yay you can only go to Chicago" now. I do not want to go to Chicago. That's where all the people I didn't enjoy moved.

Default cutbacks in Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm surprised this was never mentioned in the media around here. When it first commenced, it certainly was. I was looking to go to Cleveland soon to visit a cousin and realized it. This is too bad...

http://www.mlive.com/business/ann-ar..._non-chic.html

I notice the Megabus has cut their service from Chicago to Detroit& back; the company may be in trouble.
    Last edited by Chicago48; June-12-14 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    The two times I traveled to Pittsburgh, I never went through AA, just Toledo and Cleveland.

Getting out east without a car continues to be hard for us Detroiters. The Amtrak to NY from Toledo leaves in the middle of the night...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    The two times I traveled to Pittsburgh, I never went through AA, just Toledo and Cleveland.

Getting out east without a car continues to be hard for us Detroiters. The Amtrak to NY from Toledo leaves in the middle of the night...
    You know how the pseudo-free-market people say, "We don't need passenger rail--just run buses down the Interstates!"

Yeah.

Good call. Because if/when the trains quit running, then we can convert them from "Rails To Trails".
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-12-14 at 01:32 PM.

If you don't want to drive, then why not fly? Flights to major airports in the Northeast are usually under $200.

If you don't have a car, you can rent one for $20 a day, and a tank of gas will take you to the Clevelands and Pittsburghs of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If you don't want to drive, then why not fly? Flights to major airports in the Northeast are usually under $200.

If you don't have a car, you can rent one for $20 a day, and a tank of gas will take you to the Clevelands and Pittsburghs of the world.
    How is flying is comparable to a $1-20 bus ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    How is flying is comparable to a $1-20 bus ride?

Because that's called megaPLANE Sparty....

Where are these $200 flghts and $20/day rentals you speak of? What year is it?

Disregarding Spirit's B.S. [[with limited schedules), I have not purchased a NYC-DTW flight for under 300 in at least four years. It generally pushes 350-400.

I have a hard time envisioning sufficient demand to Ohio, or even the lovely city of Pittsburgh. Does Greyhound have such routes covered?

I love flying but it has to be justified. Going through security for a 60-90 minutes flight that may be delayed and paying "$200" for it is not justifiable.

I actually love road tripping, but that assumes there's more people with me. If it's just me paying for gas, I'd rather take a bus or train.

Had to check a flight to JFK...$298 with a layover in Charlotte. Direct to LaGuardia was $329. Boston was $203 but with a layover in Philly, direct was $303. Dulles was $314, direct and up. I would say the average of all the flights I'm looking at is between $350-500. Flying, even close, is not cheap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I have a hard time envisioning sufficient demand to Ohio, or even the lovely city of Pittsburgh. Does Greyhound have such routes covered?
    Greyhound does have routes, but Megabus is geared toward the young, professional, and tourist crowds and that's who I encountered the most. I've never been on Greyhound but I am guilty of judging a book by its cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Yes but it stops at every podunk between here and Pittsburgh. It takes the better part of a day.

WHO rents a car for $20 a day? When I was in Detroit last year, the cheapest rental was $61 a day.
    Please let me know the source for cheap rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    You know how the pseudo-free-market people say, "We don't need passenger rail--just run buses down the Interstates!"

Yeah.
    Nice try. At least you can still get your taxpayer subsidized Amtrak direct train to Pittsburgh! Oh, wait, you can't. I forgot. There is no regular passenger train that ever leaves Michigan that enters the state of Pennsylvania [[or Ohio). Megabus is much cheaper. And Megabus pays taxes, it doesn't eat them. Also, since Megabus isn't locked into government worker contracts, they can alter their service to meet demand. For example, I would bet you that the Detroit-East Lansing-Grand Rapids run returns when MSU kids return in the fall. If Amtrak loses money on a run [[every single route in non-coastal states bleeds money), they just keep on keeping on. Don't let failure alter your plans! Please, also, don't forget that another interstate private bus carrier, Greyhound, does in fact serve even more destinations than either Amtrak or Megabus [[athough they are not as nice as Megabus, they are still cheaper than Amtrak, with much more frequent service). Greyhound is at this moment moving more Michiganders than Amtrak will move all week. And did I mention that they are cheaper, more frequent, serve more cities [[and sometimes multiple stations in a single city or metropolitan area?).

And, just to remind you, Ghettopalmetto, I am strongly in favor of passenger rail, where density and frequence of use justifies the investment. That ain't here. Amtrak service in the midwest serves a snobby few who look down their noses at buses. Liberals talk about the 1%. How about the .1%? I can justify spending tons of money on transit that serves a ton of people. Michigan Amtrak service would only be super popular if it were super free.

Greyhound employees are really cheering about Megabus transportation cuts. Corporations have ways to eliminate its competitors in the name of money.

Screw you, Megabus! Stay out of Michigan.

I'm going to go a bit off the thread topic here and I think there is some other thread
    about traveling by Amtrak from the Detroit area to Ann Arbor. I would use Amtrak from Dearborn to Ann Arbor for the occasional day trip if it were practical. I enjoy being a passenger. I like trains. The fuel used per passenger is much less with trains as well.
    I know that there are many, many daily Detroit area commuters to Ann Arbor as well but
    these never seem to take Amtrak, they just blast along M-14 at or above the speed limit.
    Once in Ann Arbor the bus systems are quite usable for getting around there, many people
    use them there, so really there should be more demand for Detroit to Ann Arbor rail than
    there is.
    I've checked into taking the existing Amtrak runs for this. It was impractical. Amtrak's fares were expensive relative to car travel and that's with the higher price of gas and with
    Detroit car insurance. Its trains were infrequent and always Chicago bound. Last but not least Amtrak fares had the bad habit of going up if you waited until the last minute to book.
    Amtrak might work to go to Chicago if you can't take the plane to Chicago, but doesn't work for Ann Arbor commuting at all, for snobs or anyone else, and I do think there is more demand for it than what it seems based on actual Amtrak usage.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Nice try. At least you can still get your taxpayer subsidized Amtrak direct train to Pittsburgh! Oh, wait, you can't. I forgot. There is no regular passenger train that ever leaves Michigan that enters the state of Pennsylvania [[or Ohio). Megabus is much cheaper. And Megabus pays taxes, it doesn't eat them. Also, since Megabus isn't locked into government worker contracts, they can alter their service to meet demand. For example, I would bet you that the Detroit-East Lansing-Grand Rapids run returns when MSU kids return in the fall. If Amtrak loses money on a run [[every single route in non-coastal states bleeds money), they just keep on keeping on. Don't let failure alter your plans! Please, also, don't forget that another interstate private bus carrier, Greyhound, does in fact serve even more destinations than either Amtrak or Megabus [[athough they are not as nice as Megabus, they are still cheaper than Amtrak, with much more frequent service). Greyhound is at this moment moving more Michiganders than Amtrak will move all week. And did I mention that they are cheaper, more frequent, serve more cities [[and sometimes multiple stations in a single city or metropolitan area?).

And, just to remind you, Ghettopalmetto, I am strongly in favor of passenger rail, where density and frequence of use justifies the investment. That ain't here. Amtrak service in the midwest serves a snobby few who look down their noses at buses. Liberals talk about the 1%. How about the .1%? I can justify spending tons of money on transit that serves a ton of people. Michigan Amtrak service would only be super popular if it were super free.
    Greyhound is so successful, that is has been cutting stops left-and-right for the past ten years. But hey, let me know when they start maintaining the roads they use, and then we can start having an apples-to-apples conversation.

Amtrak ridership is at record levels. The only reason ridership isn't higher is because there are so few trains in most of the country. For the paltry $1 billion a year that our federal government invests in passenger rail, I'd say Amtrak does a pretty bang-up job.

Megabus, on the other hand, doesn't quite have the ridership that you think they do. It's hard to pay taxes on revenue you're not generating.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    For the paltry $1 billion a year that our federal government invests in passenger rail, I'd say Amtrak does a pretty bang-up job.

Megabus, on the other hand, doesn't quite have the ridership that you think they do. It's hard to pay taxes on revenue you're not generating.
    Amtrak moves tens of thousands of people everyday. Mostly in the Northeast. You know, where Boston-Providence-New York-Newark-Trenton-Philadelphia-Newark, Del-Baltimore-DC is massively heavily travelled. Operationally, Amtrak is a wreck, as Amtrak itself admits. Rail stock and rail line infrastructure is very under-maintained. Again, Amtrak says that. Also, Amtrak runs on lots of freight-owned rail lines, which causes huge delays over which it has no control. Amtrak should be freed of it's unfortunate legal obligation to provide it's [[very limited) service to low density parts of the country. States and localities could then choose if subsidizing lightly used passenger rail in their area justifies spending their own money. The Obama administration should spend the money they are currently spending on pretend high-speed rail projects on crucial rail infrastructure & bridge maintenance. But that would be a responsible expenditure of federal transportation money.

AMTRAK unfortunately operates at a loss. Except for the NE corridor, AMTRAK operates over freight tracks. If they keep their schedule, AMTRAK trains get priority by the dispatcher. If they fall behind schedule because of a station delay [[loading a wheel chair, slow loading of baggage) then they are the dispatcher's "red headed step child" and every single freight train takes priority over them.

I have travelled via Amtrak twice this year in upstate New York. Both days had excellent weather. One day, Albany to Buffalo was 25 minutes late. The other time, on the same trip, it was nearly 2 hours late. Weekday, midday travel. My mistake in not taking the bus. I do enjoy rail travel. Just not sure my riding preference warrants the subsidy Amtrak receives.

By the way, my train car was never more than 1/3 full.

I took the train to Chicago once and unless you are going solo, you are better off driving. Tickets are $200 roundtrip and it literally took 7 hours to get there. They seriously need to find a way to cut the time a couple hours.

The removal of the Detroit-Pittsburgh service seems more of an indication of the partial failure of the Pittsburgh hub. The Wikipedia article on Megabus notes that 3 of the 7 original Pittsburgh routes were dropped in 2012. The removal of those routes [[and service cutbacks) made it impossible to connect in Pittsburgh without staying there overnight. The number of buses to Detroit was cut at that time as well. Although they did not sell tickets to connect, I had friends go from Detroit to both New York and Toronto through the Pittsburgh hub in 2011, by buying individual segments.
    After the Detroit cut, the Pittsburgh ¨hub¨ only has service to DC, NYC and Philadelphia.

It should be noted that Megabus has expanded recently with service from New York to Chicago without a change of buses [[and stops only in Toledo, Cleveland and State College PA). They also now have service from Cleveland to Atlanta with no change of buses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast