Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Emergency Managed DPS loses out on millions in federal funding....because reasons.

So DPS lost out on some money. Blame the EM.

So for all the money DSP has lost out in the past... was it all the EM.

Expecting perfection from the EM is a mistake. They are an emergency manager after all. Its an emergency. Sometimes patients in hospital emergency die. They miss opportunities because they are having open-heart surgery.

Detroit is having open-heart surgery. Some things will get missed as the patient recovers.

I might feel that way, Wes, if every time Lansing meddled with DPS it didn't drive it deeper into debt. EMs have been an unqualified financial disaster for the school district. If the board were doing the things that Lansing's overlords have, it wouldn't have been allowed to skate like this ...

Your title is misleading. The article clearly states "but district employees encountered technical difficulties with uploading the information".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Your title is misleading. The article clearly states "but district employees encountered technical difficulties with uploading the information".
    In other words... District employees failed to upload the deadline to their brains, eh!

Just as it was racist to expect John Conyers to collect the proper signatures, it will be deemed racist to expect DPS to submit the proper form.

There is no acceptable reason that this happened. "Technical issues" are complete BS. Did all the other school districts have technical issues? Nope. So why is one of the largest school districts in the country unable to file?

There is only one reason, incompetence at multiple levels.

It also states
    In recent months, DPS, which is run by an emergency manager,...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It also states

State appointed Emergency Manager Fails Detroit Students.

I agree, the EM should have gone to each and every employee and made sure they were competent @ their jobs. [[or had calendars or something) So, yeah, it was the EM's fault.

=Jimaz;439482]It also states

In recent months, DPS, which is run by an emergency manager,...
    So the EM should fire all the incompetents and replace with competent people? Yea right. That is probably half of the staff or better.

I agree, the EM should have gone to each and every employee and made sure they were competent @ their jobs. [[or had calendars or something) So, yeah, it was the EM's fault.
    It works both ways. Had there been GOOD news to over hype, the EM would have been given the credit for "leadership". This falls under the EM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
    So the EM should fire all the incompetents and replace with competent people? Yea right. That is probably half of the staff or better.
    I don't know what the EM "should" do. Telling the EM what to do is not my job. The EM is supposed to know what to do. That, I thought, was the entire rationale for emergency management as a solution to the problems of financially-distressed units of local government. The problem, we were told, was the result of the electorate making poor decisions about who to put in charge, and the solution was to impose someone competent and remove any mechanisms of public accountability that might interfere with them doing their competent thing.

If the consensus pro-EM reaction to a story like this is to argue that hey, EMs are only human and it's a tough job and the institution is dysfunctional from top to bottom and there's only so much they can do, well...that's kind of what critics of the EM law have been saying all along? I mean, if the emergency manager is just going to pass the buck and make excuses, how is that an improvement over regular elected leaders doing the exact same fucking thing? The EM law was supposed to be an extraordinary measure justified by its extraordinary effectiveness at solving the problems of dysfunctional institutions. That justification doesn't really seem to be holding up.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I don't know what the EM "should" do. Telling the EM what to do is not my job. The EM is supposed to know what to do. That, I thought, was the entire rationale for emergency management as a solution to the problems of financially-distressed units of local government. The problem, we were told, was the result of the electorate making poor decisions about who to put in charge, and the solution was to impose someone competent and remove any mechanisms of public accountability that might interfere with them doing their competent thing.

If the consensus pro-EM reaction to a story like this is to argue that hey, EMs are only human and it's a tough job and the institution is dysfunctional from top to bottom and there's only so much they can do, well...that's kind of what critics of the EM law have been saying all along? I mean, if the emergency manager is just going to pass the buck and make excuses, how is that an improvement over regular elected leaders doing the exact same fucking thing? The EM law was supposed to be an extraordinary measure justified by its extraordinary effectiveness at solving the problems of dysfunctional institutions. That justification doesn't really seem to be holding up.
    Well, it seems that the EM has a good excuse to clear some of the deadwood starting with the staff members that lost a few million bucks. Let's see what he does.

Well, it seems that the EM has a good excuse to clear some of the deadwood starting with the staff members that lost a few million bucks. Let's see what he does.
    To quote Mr. Kilpatrick, "why that's a drop it the bucket".

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    ... The EM is supposed to know what to do. That, I thought, was the entire rationale for emergency management as a solution to the problems of financially-distressed units of local government. The problem, we were told, was the result of the electorate making poor decisions about who to put in charge, and the solution was to impose someone competent and remove any mechanisms of public accountability that might interfere with them doing their competent thing.
    Increased authority must come with increased responsibility. Detaching authority from responsibility would be insane. Unfortunately we seem to be currently headed in that direction.
    Last edited by Jimaz; June-11-14 at 09:25 PM.

How many years has DPS been under the control of an EM? How much longer are they supposed to get a pass?

To quote Mr. Kilpatrick, "why that's a drop it the bucket".
    Hmmm.... A few million here, a few million there, another few million over there, and to quote Everett_Dirksen, "pretty soon we are talking about real money"! Though he was talking about billions at the Federal level.

Oh well, it is Detroit and you seem to expect and/or like that sort of thing. If you like this sort of stuff, I understand, BUT please stay out of the rest of Michigan's pocket while you embrace it.

Afterall, it is only Detroit's children that are the losers in all of this as you quote Mr Kilpatrick with, "why that's a drop it the bucket"

BTW... Did you vote for Mr Kilpatrick? Just curious.
    Last edited by FlyOnTheWall; June-11-14 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    How many years has DPS been under the control of an EM? How much longer are they supposed to get a pass?
    How many years did DPS have to screw it all up? Just curious. I usually find that it takes longer to fix something than to do it right in the first place. Oh well.

As initially appointed under Granholm, continued with Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by trstar View Post
    State appointed Emergency Manager Fails Detroit Students.

Well for sure you cannot wait until the last minute [[week, days or hours) to file applications online or otherwise. Absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    There is no acceptable reason that this happened. "Technical issues" are complete BS. Did all the other school districts have technical issues? Nope. So why is one of the largest school districts in the country unable to file?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    So DPS lost out on some money. Blame the EM.

So for all the money DSP has lost out in the past... was it all the EM.

Expecting perfection from the EM is a mistake. They are an emergency manager after all. Its an emergency. Sometimes patients in hospital emergency die. They miss opportunities because they are having open-heart surgery.

Detroit is having open-heart surgery. Some things will get missed as the patient recovers.
    is is done by design to steer the rest of the so called unwanted people out of Detroit through making the school system so unfunctional for the children that the Parents would want to move their children to a school system out of Detroit. This is also part of the dumbing down of inner city mostly underprivileged children

Hmmm.... A few million here, a few million there, another few million over there, and to quote Everett_Dirksen, "pretty soon we are talking about real money"! Though he was talking about billions at the Federal level.

Oh well, it is Detroit and you seem to expect and/or like that sort of thing. If you like this sort of stuff, I understand, BUT please stay out of the rest of Michigan's pocket while you embrace it.

Afterall, it is only Detroit's children that are the losers in all of this as you quote Mr Kilpatrick with, "why that's a drop it the bucket"

BTW... Did you vote for Mr Kilpatrick? Just curious.

Pssst.... You're barking up the WRONG tree! First of all, my post, quoting Mr. Kilpatrick, was sarcasm. That was his reply when confronted with taking $9 mil of City funds, using it as hush money to cover up his texts. It seems you didn't get it, my apologies. I don't condone, expect, or like "these kinds of things", but it seems "these kinds of things" keep happening over and over in the COD, no matter who's @ the helm. This isn't the first time a story was printed about a monetary opportunity missed. That leads me to believe that there's a deeper, underlying problem. I don't know when you've looked @ a map last, but Detroit is squarely located within the State of MI, making it everybody's problem. There has been no annexation that I'm aware of. Living here, as I have for 53 years, I am very familiar with Detroit's children being on the losing end of the stick, from neglecting, non-caring parents, growing up in dangerous, bombed-out neighborhoods, to dealing with incompetent, bungling, beaurocrats. And finally, yes, I did vote for Mr. Kilpatrick the first time around, as so many other duped voters did, until the peeling onion revealed what was underneath. Another lesson learned. I hope I've explained things for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post

Where's the chain of command? What procedures are in place? If someone is having "difficulties with technical issues", you contact your manager, or IT, or someone, who's supposed to find a fix for the problem. You don't shrug it off as "oh well". You also don't wait until the last minute to file for something as important as millions of dollars of funding.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    is is done by design to steer the rest of the so called unwanted people out of Detroit through making the school system so unfunctional for the children that the Parents would want to move their children to a school system out of Detroit. This is also part of the dumbing down of inner city mostly underprivileged children
    The secret plan I see is one where the forces of evil who were holding our Detroit children hostage in a massively dysfunctional jobs factor for the incompetent are able to get fools to believe that the problem is the Emergency Manager who is saddled with trying to dig their way out of hell with a spoon.

I am always stunned by the idea that things were better before EMs. All we need is a return to the old ways. Things were so wonderful for the kids before Granholm appointed these EMs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast