Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Work on the Metropolitan Building?

It would be great to see this lovely little ruin restored and re-purposed. Although there seems to be a consensus on this forum that it is doomed to be torn down, I spotted workers on the roof today. Let's hope this is the start of restoration and not the alternative.

Curbed noted the workers too, but doesn't have any real info.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-via-crane.php

It's protective netting to prevent damaged masonry from falling. It's the same type of netting that covered the Statler in its last days because the facade was crumbling

I wouldn't get excited. This is merely an interim solution for life safety reasons.

Anyone who attended the most recent DDA Board meeting would know that the building is currently under a hold-letter with a local development group that is working on a redevelopment proposal for it. Part of their obligation to the DDA under that hold-letter is to ensure that the facade is adequately secured to avoid any further incidents. The work being undertaken relates to that obligation.
    ^ Copied from Curbed. Veracity unknown. Would fit with wolverine's post, though.

http://staging-degcv3.cirrusabs.com/...ilding-facade/

Eric Means, CEO of Means Group said, “We have a project team with strong experience in historic restoration and urban redevelopment, so we are very confident we can restore this building.”

“We don’t take safety lightly,” he added. “We are making a substantial investment to protect the public while we take the necessary steps to close a deal.”
    The Metropolitan Building was built in 1925 and for many years was the location of jewelry businesses. Its highly decorative façade is comprised of terra cotta, granite and brick, which has been deteriorating since the building was vacated in 1977. Metropolitan Development Partners plan to create 61 high-end apartments in the building, along with commercial space and retail on the lower floors.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I am going to put a "I will believe it when it starts work" here, so no one else has to. Exciting news that I will get excited about when they begin work!

Edit - also take note that we have updates on the Woodward/MLK site, news of a buyer of the Old Wayne County building and yeah, probably more than that. Unfortunately Curbed doesn't work at my work...
    Last edited by motz; July-10-14 at 03:38 PM.

Demonstrates a culture change of sorts with DEGC. If only the Lafayette Building and Hudson's had received the same treatment!

Relatedly, should this give us at least a little hope regarding what the arena development plan may have in store for the two old hotel buildings up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Demonstrates a culture change of sorts with DEGC. If only the Lafayette Building and Hudson's had received the same treatment!

Relatedly, should this give us at least a little hope regarding what the arena development plan may have in store for the two old hotel buildings up there?
    Exactly what I was thinking. At least they appear to be seriously considering trying to save the building. Given the city's prior track record, this is a breath of fresh air.

It's up to Dan Gilbert if he wants to save the Metropolitan Building or destroy it.

Wasn't this under the control of the DDA? If so, another example of the DDA's path of demolition by neglect. Maybe with Demolition George Jackson out of the picture, the rubber stampers on the DDA board have decided to try a different approach.

Apparently there is an actual development plan

http://www.freep.com/article/2014090...tting-makeover

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    Apparently there is an actual development plan

http://www.freep.com/article/2014090...tting-makeover

surprised to see this didn't get more attention on here. if it was announced it was going to be demolished people would've [[rightfully) flipped out..

this is a HUGE win.. high end apartments to boot? love it

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    surprised to see this didn't get more attention on here. if it was announced it was going to be demolished people would've [[rightfully) flipped out..

this is a HUGE win.. high end apartments to boot? love it
    Was there ever a real announcement about this project, with any hard facts and details? I don't recall any, which is why I think its not getting much attention so far. Where is the splashy press release for DYes'ers to pick apart?

Well Bedrock isn't involved, that's why. They do a press conference with days of teaser headlines for a salad bar. I digress. This is wonderful to see. Pending the results of environmental testing, I think this building and it's venerable location/view will go to the top of my list of places to buy. Hope they offer at least a few condo deals in the mix.

beyond thrilled about this. now if something could happen with the wurlitzer you could have one of the most dynamic blocks in the entire city.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Was there ever a real announcement about this project, with any hard facts and details? I don't recall any, which is why I think its not getting much attention so far. Where is the splashy press release for DYes'ers to pick apart?

well this was a press release, with announced plans, and workers are currently power washing the building.

there's even a video of them power washing it and cleaning it up from two days ago on that free press article linked. pretty obvious this is real change and the building is moving forward.

i don't think they would waste the money to be cleaning it up if it failed any environmental tests

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Different marketing strategies nothing more. Some movies say "coming summer 2015" some say "starting Friday". This is fantastic news, the bringing back the vacant is really hitting a stride in the downtown.

So glad this restoration has started. Now let's get the Wurlitzer renovated and wow, that quadrant of downtown will be an amazing historic preservation success story!

I think part of the reason we haven't heard as much regarding this is that a lot of the facts seem to be less than concrete. With Bedrock, you know what they say will most likely happen. Most other developers usually wait for the big reveal until things are TRULY ready to go, hence why they might be holding off. Efforts seem to be aimed at preservation and getting the structure stabilized first, which is more than I ever expected to see happen

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I think part of the reason we haven't heard as much regarding this is that a lot of the facts seem to be less than concrete. With Bedrock, you know what they say will most likely happen. Most other developers usually wait for the big reveal until things are TRULY ready to go, hence why they might be holding off. Efforts seem to be aimed at preservation and getting the structure stabilized first, which is more than I ever expected to see happen
    Exactly. usually a sign goes up with a "Coming Spring of:[insert at least one year from placement of sign]" and nothing happens....until the sign itself weathers and falls off.

It's a refreshing turn to see the cleaning and stabilization happening BEFORE the totally made up completion date sign goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Exactly. usually a sign goes up with a "Coming Spring of:[insert at least one year from placement of sign]" and nothing happens....until the sign itself weathers and falls off.

It's a refreshing turn to see the cleaning and stabilization happening BEFORE the totally made up completion date sign goes up.
    And more importantly to me, before the plans get some huge press conference and we all circle jerk about how this is the third coming of Urban Renewal Jesus and blah blah blah. Hopefully we hear more details, but I welcome the change of not announcing a huge development right now.