Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 10 up-and-coming neighborhoods around the USA - Detroit's Midtown Listed

Not a big surprise to us, but all positive news about Detroit is welcome. I'm not sure it qualifies as the heart of the city however.

Detroit: The heart of the city, Detroit's Midtown is rapidly developing into a surprisingly well-rounded residential area while featuring an abundance of restaurants, galleries, community gardens and markets. Dedicated local entrepreneurs have made Midtown an attractive hub for small businesses with high-end shops like Hugh and Nora, eateries like Maccabee's at Midtown and Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Company and Shinola, which makes American-made bicycles, watches, leather goods and journals. Midtown is at the core of the city's M-1 Rail development and non-motorized transportation plans will soon connect the district to Eastern Market and other neighborhoods via greenways and bike paths.
    USA Today Article

In before snark!

Paging Bham1982 and windsordave, I need something to say besides "That article's description of Midtown's current state is fairly accurate".

Here's what they said about Hamtramck 16 years ago: #12 of North America's Hippest Communities

http://www.utne.com/arts/hip-hot-spo...#axzz34A9HjRZV

Hamtramck is still pretty hip, I'd say. The fact that it refuses to be truly trendy is why it's hip.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Paging Bham1982 and windsordave, I need something to say besides "That article's description of Midtown's current state is fairly accurate".
    I am fairly certain I saw a cesspool in one of those pics!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    In before snark!
    Ha ha. How true!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Here's what they said about Hamtramck 16 years ago: #12 of North America's Hippest Communities
    Hamown is still #1 in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Hamtramck is still pretty hip, I'd say. The fact that it refuses to be truly trendy is why it's hip.
    Yeah, Hamtramck is a pretty notable enclave of artists of all types. It's definitely still up there.

Also how many up-and-coming points do homeless pee-puddles add? I'm curious about their math. For davewindsor's sake, obviously.

lol ironic that Atlanta is listed nowhere on that list....

I like any positive publicity for Detroit [[or Michigan), but I think we're sometimes a little misdirected. The thing to celebrate is that Detroit is improving, in a thousand ways. Not making the list. People in our area [[including on this board) can sometimes have an inferiority complex, and seek validation by national rankings or surveys or whatever that says something nice. If you were to win an Oscar for a movie you made, the accomplishment is the movie, not the statue.