Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Big Ten to keep Football championship in Indy

through 2021, at least. And basketball mostly in CHI and INDY.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...gh-2021-season

Looks like any hope for either event in Detroit won't happen until at least the next decade.

I assume the B1G is satisfied with having a bowl game at Ford Field.

Like why all the love for Indy? Detroit can offer what Indy offers...

I did a quick search for events at Ford Field:

http://www.levyrestaurantsnpo.com/fo...CHEDULE%20.pdf

Good number of non-Lions events.

I believe their is a religious convention this weekend which will draw very large numbers. Correct?

I assume the 10 Lions games is less than 1/3 of the total number of events at Ford Field.

A few of those being the High School Football Games which are not a large draw, but still bring some people. Even the MAC Championship....which only had two concession stands open in the entire stadium.

Only Major events would be 3 Concerts, 1 Bowl Game and 3 Truck/Bike Events.

This weekend they are calling for over 40,000 people?? Now that is a large event. We need more of those.

Such B.S. that there isn't a true rotation. For bball they will do Verizon in DC but not Detroit?! You kidding me?! And as much as I hate Ohio, Columbus should get to host one too, or Cleveland, if we're trying to keep these away from a school's home venue. That's all good if they want to rotate it to the east coast, but how can they skip Detroit?

As to football, give me one good reason why it shouldn't rotate through all the prominent stadiums, domed or otherwise.

Because the economy of Indianapolis would fall apart if they weren't hosting some kind of Big Event every weekend? Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Such B.S. that there isn't a true rotation. For bball they will do Verizon in DC but not Detroit?! You kidding me?! And as much as I hate Ohio, Columbus should get to host one too, or Cleveland, if we're trying to keep these away from a school's home venue. That's all good if they want to rotate it to the east coast, but how can they skip Detroit?

As to football, give me one good reason why it shouldn't rotate through all the prominent stadiums, domed or otherwise.
    It is their game. Other than holding your breath till you turn blue, what can you do about it? Poutrage doesn't get you very far.

Indy is the most centralized city for the Big 10, the domed stadium is the newest, best stadium in the Midwest, and the stadium is directly connected to many thousands of hotel rooms, the convention center, and a shopping mall, all linked by skywalks. You never have to step outside.

Also, who cares? These sports events do little for the economy. Real cities aren't groveling for some stupid amateur sports event to fill their hotel rooms, they have actual consistent hotel demand from businesses and visitors.
    Last edited by Bham1982; June-06-14 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Indy is the most centralized city for the Big 10, the domed stadium is the newest, best stadium in the Midwest, and the stadium is directly connected to many thousands of hotel rooms, the convention center, and a shopping mall, all linked by skywalks. You never have to step outside.

Also, who cares? These sports events do little for the economy. Real cities aren't groveling for some stupid amateur sports event to fill their hotel rooms, they have actual consistent hotel demand from businesses and visitors.
    I'm a equalitarian so as Indy and Detroit both have indoor stadiums, why not.

And by the way, the geographic center of the B1G has been moving eastward [[hmmm, PSU, Rutgers, and Maryland).

Indy is so 1990s... B1G has changed in the last couple years. Right, Bham?

[[BTW, I think Detroit is 'fairer' to MSU, UofM, Ohio State, PSU, Rutgers, and Maryland.

And I think Indy is 'fairer' to... the rest. ).

Like no brainer. Rotate between those two cities.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-06-14 at 10:15 AM.

Name:  artsgarden.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  75.8 KB

Crowning piece of the skywalk, the Artsgarden; a large glass dome that hangs over the intersection of Washington and Illinois Streets…

Real cities aren't groveling for some stupid amateur sports event to fill their hotel rooms, they have actual consistent hotel demand from businesses and visitors.
    What does this even mean? The Pac 12 basketball tournament is in LA and the Big East basketball tournament is at MSG. Are they not real cities? Do you not think at least someone there made somewhat of a push to get those events in those cities because - while there is yearlong demand - it still is a net positive for them?

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    A few of those being the High School Football Games which are not a large draw, but still bring some people. Even the MAC Championship....which only had two concession stands open in the entire stadium.

Only Major events would be 3 Concerts, 1 Bowl Game and 3 Truck/Bike Events.
    You are factually correct, but remember 9K at a MHSAA FB championship is 1/2 of a Wings' game.

MACC [[MAC championship FB game) draws say 15 - 20K, mostly out of towners.

Originally Posted by Bham1982 Real cities aren't groveling for some stupid amateur sports event to fill their hotel rooms, they have actual consistent hotel demand from businesses and visitors.

Wow, that isn't my take...

Cities kill for the NCAA Final Four, the BCS championship game [[and now the College Football Playoff championship game) and, of course, pro events like the Super Bowl and all-star games.

The NCAA championship events ARE good for the economy but prestige is a big, big thing.

Just ask Jerry Jones down in Texas about hosting those events.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    What does this even mean? The Pac 12 basketball tournament is in LA and the Big East basketball tournament is at MSG. Are they not real cities? Do you not think at least someone there made somewhat of a push to get those events in those cities because - while there is yearlong demand - it still is a net positive for them?
    The point is that these cities aren't groveling for scraps. NYC is trying to demolish and relocate MSG, because the arena harms the area's economic vitality, and they want to replace with skyscrapers and expanded transit. SF, Boston, LA, DC, Philly, Seattle, Portland, Chicago and other healthier cities generally don't do this nonsense either. None of these cities have vitality-killing sports domes.

Indy is a small, unappealing city. They won't attract visitors otherwise, so built a perfect setup for sports and conventions. Their downtown is still a joke though. You can't subsidize vitality and desirability.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Just ask Jerry Jones down in Texas about hosting those events.
    Right, ask Jerry Jones. He has to fill his dome. But don't ask Texas economic development officials, who probably knows these events are nonsense in terms of economic development.

You kidding me? Bloomberg and Christie and leaders of smaller regional cities like Jersey City and Newark just went crazy over the last SB, each boasting publicly about how they were the hosts, and each trying to get in on the action with hotel deals, media days, etc etc.

These are some pretty real cities.

Hermod, I am complaining as a fan who would like to access these games on occasion, and moreover, from a position of pure logic, as much as I like to see Detroit in the spotlight. For the bball, they are rotating, but selectively and without regard to centrality of location. And then for football, they are choosing not to rotate at all. I simply don't get it. It is, you must admit, a bit capricious.

The point is that these cities aren't groveling for scraps. NYC is trying to demolish and relocate MSG, because the arena harms the area's economic vitality, and they want to replace with skyscrapers and expanded transit. SF, Boston, LA, DC, Philly, Seattle, Portland, Chicago and other healthier cities generally don't do this nonsense either. None of these cities have vitality-killing sports domes.

Indy is a small, unappealing city. They won't attract visitors otherwise, so built a perfect setup for sports and conventions. Their downtown is still a joke though. You can't subsidize vitality and desirability.
    BHAM, when is the last time you were in Indianapolis? I'll admit, it isn't Detroit, isn't Ann Arbor, isn't Birmingham. However, it isn't gosh, Iron River. The NCAA is there...lots of sports type relations. Have a steak at St. Elmos, go to the Art Museum.

You kidding me? Bloomberg and Christie and leaders of smaller regional cities like Jersey City and Newark just went crazy over the last SB, each boasting publicly about how they were the hosts, and each trying to get in on the action with hotel deals, media days, etc etc.
    Nonsense. First, the Superbowl is about 1000x bigger deal than some college athletic event. Second, the Superbowl took place in the swamps of Jersey, because NYC, as a real city, would not benefit from an urban stadium taking up space and empty 90% of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    BHAM, when is the last time you were in Indianapolis? I'll admit, it isn't Detroit, isn't Ann Arbor, isn't Birmingham. However, it isn't gosh, Iron River. The NCAA is there...lots of sports type relations. Have a steak at St. Elmos, go to the Art Museum.
    I've been to Indy many times for work. It's fine. But it's totally blah and generic and not a tourist destination. They have a convenient setup for conventions and meetings, with all the hotels connected to the stadium and convention center.

No, that was not your point. You claimed that "real cities" don't bother with these amateur sports events and evidence was shown to prove you wrong. So feel free to take the discussion in another direction [[as you did above regarding the legitimacy of building a stadium downtown), but your declaration that "real cities" don't bother is factually wrong.

i think I am going to start writing a book similar to Mao's Little Red Book, but filled with your completely uninformed, illogical, conceited, arrogant, ignorant, and stupid thoughts. In contrast to Mao's cute little pocket edition, your book would be as large as a phone book and very handy to stand upon in order to see over the ever mounting steaming pile of bovine scatology you leave around this forum.

oh yeah, instead of red, your tome would be brown.

And please don't bore everyone with the stunning retort, that this forum is just a collection of opinions. While in part that might have a fleck of truth, the larger truth is that your ideas are meritless. Boring. Pompous. Foolish drivel.

Now, you may think I am being needlessly harsh. That I am attacking your character. Not so. It is your ideas that are ridiculous. Fix your ideas and then you won't have your delicate feelings all ouchy.

You are welcome.

Excuse me first but, Fuck the big10! It sounds a lot more like "we just locked up the best hotel rooms in Indy for our own privileged asses for the next decade" instead of making good decisions. They make money hand over fist off the backs of college kids and they can't even spread the wealth around other cities in states that support football programs in the conference besides Indy? Fuck those assholes who run the big10. They represent educational institutions? What a joke.

If you don't think big events don't cram cash in the local economy... You have never been to NO, Vegas, Atlanta or Indy. Every tax payer in the state of Michigan who pours 1 billion+ EVERY year into U of M and MSU should be saying WTF? Regardless of how anyone feels about football & basketball we are getting screwed by college administrators and all they care about is if they are "hooked up".
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-06-14 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    If you don't think big events don't cram cash in the local economy... You have never been to NO, Vegas, Atlanta or Indy.
    Vegas, Atlanta, and NOLA are nothing like Indy, and sporting events are basically irrelevant to all three. Obviously Vegas and NOLA are enormous tourist centers and Atlanta is a huge business center.