Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Red Hook Cafe

Default Red Hook Cafe

Well it looks like Red Hook will not open it's West Village coffee shop this month as promised. The opening had been delayed for the second time until fall.

The good news is Coffee & [[_______) on Jefferson re-opens tomorrow as planned, Deep East caffeine addicts rejoice!

Seriously Red Hook would had completed the Agnes strip. Why did Coffee and ? close anyway?

I believe that going from pop-up to permanent required getting the space "up to code", as well as some upgrades to the kitchen. I'm looking forward to checking it out, the pastries were always very good there.

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    I believe that going from pop-up to permanent required getting the space "up to code", as well as some upgrades to the kitchen. I'm looking forward to checking it out, the pastries were always very good there.
    What concerns me is that many coffee shop owners had said that they had to go through a lot of red tape dealing with the city of Detroit even when everything had met the codes. A coney island restaurant or a bar could open in a more timely manner than a cafe or anything that is good for the community. I am not knocking sports bars but a strip bar could not meet standards and still open in a timely manner. In Detroit money greasing palms still get results

Yeah it sort of belies the 'easy startup' / 'no red tape' view of Detroit that is starting to bubble up and get us good press. Maybe for some businesses, but not others.

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post

I hope this time around she's learned to keep regular hours therefore increasing her business.

A city with no coffee shops is not 'up to code' for me. When we endlessly pass laws requiring this or that, this is the result. We need to re-think whether we are more concerned about things such as 100% barrier-free access to code or 100% access by other means.

I am not opposed to code enforcement -- but one look at most Detroit streets shows that we have bigger issues. Does it matter whether a new business has enough parking spaces per dining seat? Are signs of proper size? Is the door handle at the right height? is the bathroom door 36"? Every rule has a good reason -- but together a culture of 'NO' can result.

Certainly we want reasonable safety from fire. But we also don't want to make it nearly impossible for smaller businesses to open. Bureaucracy, red-tape, codes can become a barrier that only let big business pass -- and keep mom & pop from operating. Is that what we want?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    A city with no coffee shops is not 'up to code' for me. When we endlessly pass laws requiring this or that, this is the result. We need to re-think whether we are more concerned about things such as 100% barrier-free access to code or 100% access by other means.

I am not opposed to code enforcement -- but one look at most Detroit streets shows that we have bigger issues. Does it matter whether a new business has enough parking spaces per dining seat? Are signs of proper size? Is the door handle at the right height? is the bathroom door 36"? Every rule has a good reason -- but together a culture of 'NO' can result.

Certainly we want reasonable safety from fire. But we also don't want to make it nearly impossible for smaller businesses to open. Bureaucracy, red-tape, codes can become a barrier that only let big business pass -- and keep mom & pop from operating. Is that what we want?
    The city should enforce the same strict to the apartment buildings as they do small stores and businesses