Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

slow_motion Guest

Default Do Palmer Woods, Indian Village, etc. have different personalities?

Wondering if Detroit's remaining tony neighborhoods have subtle differences that are sought out by people. Are people in this bracket house shopping or do they choose one of these neighborhoods for specific reasons? Thanks.

*I guess Boston Edison, West Village and perhaps Berry/Gold coast too?

I would think Indian Village is maybe a tad more "artsy" than Palmer Woods.

Boston Edison is more of a fringe buy than the Livernois-area nice neighborhoods [[Palmer Woods, Green Acres, University District, etc.) and Indian Village, so probably attracts a slightly different buyer.

I always get the impresion that the "Detroit establishment" [[African American professionals with some social prominence) are very heavily concentrated in those Livernois-corridor neighborhoods [[so your typical city-living judge, law partner, physican, academic or city manager will be more likely to live there than in other places).

But I don't live there, and many DYes posters do, so they will have better real-time advice.
    Last edited by Bham1982; June-05-14 at 09:37 AM.

Palmer Woods and Indian Village tend to be slightly older, buttoned-up types that nonetheless believe in the city. You won't find many hipsters like you would in Midtown, Corktown, or Woodbridge [[a weird mix of hipsters and middle class people raising families that wouldn't be caught dead in a - gasp - suburb). West Village, adjacent to Indian Village, is attracting slightly more hipster types, but it's still more the kind of people that would aspire mainly to live downtown or in Indian Village.

Palmer Woods and some of the adjacent neighborhoods are definitely where the greatest concentration of wealth is in Detroit's black community, except for some neighborhoods in and around Grand River on the outskirts of the city. You'll also find buttoned-up whites in those areas, too.

I would prefer, Indian Village over all. It is older, nicer, and near downtown and the river.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Palmer Woods and Indian Village tend to be slightly older, buttoned-up types that nonetheless believe in the city. You won't find many hipsters like you would in Midtown, Corktown, or Woodbridge [[a weird mix of hipsters and middle class people raising families that wouldn't be caught dead in a - gasp - suburb). West Village, adjacent to Indian Village, is attracting slightly more hipster types, but it's still more the kind of people that would aspire mainly to live downtown or in Indian Village.

Palmer Woods and some of the adjacent neighborhoods are definitely where the greatest concentration of wealth is in Detroit's black community, except for some neighborhoods in and around Grand River on the outskirts of the city. You'll also find buttoned-up whites in those areas, too.
    Indian Village is changing. Lots [[20+) young couples, all college educated, mostly non-black, and from suburbs or out-of-state, raising their kindergarten and early elementary school-aged children there. And the "old guard" of Indian Village is very welcoming to them and anyone else who is interested in owning and taking care of the neighborhood.

Most of the city's leadership live in Palmer Woods or North Rosedale Park. And, of course, Hamilton and Fairway around the DGC, which are really the city's most exclusive neighborhoods.

Indian Village has always been a little more mixed economically, with a fair number of residents who are not really wealthy but just love fixing up, maintaining, and living in beautiful old houses. We had a couple of lawyers and a doctor on my block, but we also had several teachers and professors, a couple of cops, some people who worked for the newspapers, managers at downtown stores, city employees, a minister, and autoworkers. My next door neighbor was a cab driver who also owned a few cabs. There has also always been a quiet, but consistent, gay presence in the Village and West Village. And now, as corktownyuppie says, there is an influx of young families again.

By contrast, I spent a fair amount of time in Palmer Woods and knew a bunch of people who lived there, and all of them were doctors, lawyers, auto executives, and high city officials or their children.