Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 75-store Outlet Mall planned near Metro Airport

June 04, 2014 1:56 PM

Outlet shopping center planned near Detroit Metro Airport

A new, open-air outlet shopping center is headed for Romulus near Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

Newton, Mass.-based New England Development plans to construct the Outlets of Michigan as a 325,000-square-foot outlet center on Interstate 94, opposite the airport.

When open in 2016, the center will feature about 75 of “the best brand names in retail,” shaded pedestrian concourses and Detroit-inspired architecture, the developer said in a news release.

The location planned for Outlets of Michigan is ideal, Douglass Karp, executive vice president of New England Development, said in the news release. It is right across from a major airport that serves 32 million passengers each year, on the major highway between Detroit and Chicago and will be the closest outlet center in Michigan to the Canadian border, he said.

New England Development’s growing portfolio includes outlet centers in Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida and centers planned for Arkansas and Iowa.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...h_75_reta.html

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-metro-airport

Last edited by artds; June-04-14 at 04:02 PM.

METRO DETROIT: Still trying to replace traditional downtowns ... and failing in the most embarrassing way possible.

1. There's already a topic for this.
    2. I have a feeling this may eventually put Fairlane, Southland and Westland all out of business [[that's a bit unlikely, though).
    Last edited by mtburb; June-04-14 at 03:53 PM.

Ehhhhhh...yeah, no. Just because it's close to the border doesn't mean Canucks are going to flock to it. Great Lakes is an ideal shopping destination for them because it's a huge complex. It's also "on the way" to Somerset and the Woodward suburbs, for dining and more shopping. This is the complete opposite of town, unless they're going to IKEA.

There's shops we still don't have here, but for the most part Metro Detroit is pretty well served by the retail industry. And we're plenty served by the outlet malls.

Good luck, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Yeah sorry. I started making this thread then took a phone call, then by the time I finished and submitted it someone else had already posted the news 7 minutes prior.

Take a ride to the outlets at Birch Run any weekend out of the year and count the Canadian plates in the lot. You'll be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Ehhhhhh...yeah, no. Just because it's close to the border doesn't mean Canucks are going to flock to it. Great Lakes is an ideal shopping destination for them because it's a huge complex. It's also "on the way" to Somerset and the Woodward suburbs, for dining and more shopping. This is the complete opposite of town, unless they're going to IKEA.

There's shops we still don't have here, but for the most part Metro Detroit is pretty well served by the retail industry. And we're plenty served by the outlet malls.

Good luck, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    1. There's already a topic for this.
    2. I have a feeling this may eventually put Fairlane, Southland and Westland all out of business [[that's a bit unlikely, though).
    Fairlane is about 1.5 million sq ft. This place is about 1/6th its size. I doubt it can take down two malls. Might as well worry about westland or briarwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    METRO DETROIT: Still trying to replace traditional downtowns ... and failing in the most embarrassing way possible.
    The most shameful example I've seen is in my neck of the woods, "The Village of Rochester Hills". http://thevorh.com/

It's too bad people can't find anything else to do with themselves but "shop". How much more crap do you need, and why would you think the latest batch of crap will somehow do for you what the last two batches of crap couldn't?