Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ccbatson Guest

Default Why is NJ corruption case not getting much press

It seems to me that this story is bigger news than it is getting coverage for. By contrast, a Harvard Professor locks himself out of his house, blows a gasket at a police officer to the point of being hauled in for disturbing the peace, and....Obama is talking about it on national TV [[on the wrong side of the argument, BTW).

What kind of priorities are these?

No Mikey Jackson in this story.

By the way, corruption in New Jersy is NOT news. It's business as usual.

Kinda like Detroit.

My aunt and uncle near Purdue U have collected the Perp Walk photo of all the handcuffed rabbis walking in a line. They showed it to us yesterday, a big above the fold photo in the Indianapolis Star.

Anyone that thought this story would get coverage is clueless.

No offense Batts, but that's the truth.

ccbatson Guest

OK Stashmoo, I'll bite....why?

We're paying more attention to the dip wad [[now former) Governor of Alaska. Good riddance, quitter.

ccbatson Guest

Thanks for the helpful, insightful, and mature answer Wash_man

That isn't it. Fox News didn't really cover the story either.

Quote Originally Posted by HitsvilleUSofA View Post
    Its because they are all democrats thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by HitsvilleUSofA View Post
    Its because they are all democrats thats why.
    so the corruption stuff in detroit was all republicans?

Rush didn't tell them to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    so the corruption stuff in detroit was all republicans?

this has gotten coverage. plenty of it from day one. stop being lazy and google rabbis and new jersey.

As America's most trusted anchor, Jon Stewart points out, the Sanford bad PR could have ended sooner if he handled it better. "God killed Michael Jackson to save you ass . . . and you gave another interview!" The end of the clip is great too.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...--mark-sanford

ccbatson Guest

Sanford, Gales...both examples of minor corruptions getting huge coverage relative to the importance. This NJ based scandal is gigantic and not in the headlines for more than 2 days.

sex is sexier than an organ transplant ring, now if they were talking tranplanting...

bats, in case you didn't know, sex sells. the profit-driven network and cable news go with what grabs people, and that is sex. sex scandals have always gotten more play, even in the 1800s. that is what happens when you have a society as sexually repressed as ours

News is obviously not considered a public service anymore. This is just one of the pitfalls of our extreme profit-based society.

Quote: "sex scandals have always gotten more play, even in the 1800s. that is what happens when you have a society as sexually repressed as ours"

Yeah Major corruption stories are largely ignored? Like Kwame? How about Watergate? That was like two years of omni-coverage. This story is being swept under the rug and isn't because it's not sexy enough. Oh "do a Google search"? Oh yeah, that's how the media carries a story, Google search. Where is the hype, the sensationalism, the breaking news alerts, the 15 commercial teasers? I'm disappointed.

CNN AND MSNBC Covered it. The Detroit News and FreePress are rightfully more occupied with local corruption.

I am surprised to find myself in the position of potentially defending the media coverage, but I think the NJ corruption scandal is, so far, primarily a local issue [[and everyone seems to presume that NJ politcians are corrupt anyway). This is compared, for example, to the size and extent of Madoff's scandal and Sandford being a state governor who had been touted for higher office.

The Wall Street Journal, though, has run at least one article a day on the events since the scandal broke. They are the second largest circulation newspaper in the US. Since I don't watch a lot of news TV news or commentary, I don't know how much coverage the story is getting there.

They are busy with Mike Jackson and HarvardCopGate. Stop asking questions that you know the answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "sex scandals have always gotten more play, even in the 1800s. that is what happens when you have a society as sexually repressed as ours"

Yeah Major corruption stories are largely ignored? Like Kwame? How about Watergate? That was like two years of omni-coverage. This story is being swept under the rug and isn't because it's not sexy enough. Oh "do a Google search"? Oh yeah, that's how the media carries a story, Google search. Where is the hype, the sensationalism, the breaking news alerts, the 15 commercial teasers? I'm disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Yeah Major corruption stories are largely ignored? Like Kwame?
    nationally, only occasional network coverage

How about Watergate? That was like two years of omni-coverage.
    and so far beyond any other corruption story in history. doesn't even compare.

This story is being swept under the rug and isn't because it's not sexy enough. Oh "do a Google search"? Oh yeah, that's how the media carries a story, Google search. Where is the hype, the sensationalism, the breaking news alerts, the 15 commercial teasers? I'm disappointed.
    it's hardly being swept under the rug. what do we have here, a bunch of closeted anti-semites? apart from the rabbis, it was a few minor Jersey players, Mayor of Hoboken is like Mayor of Inkster [[both around 30k population or so, similar economic groups)

Quote: "what do we have here, a bunch of closeted anti-semites?"

No just those of us who claimed this would get little media coverage and it hasn't. How is that being anti-anything? I mean, if I had to bet one way or the other, I would have loaded up on "little coverage".

A Religious Clergy involved in corruption, and this is not a story? If this were a group of Christian Preachers, the media would never shut up about it. Remember Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart? Huge National media coverage. Remember when a few guys recalled they were fondled as Children by their Preist? Did that get any media coverage?
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; July-28-09 at 11:40 AM.

It has gotten plenty of coverage. More coverage than the story about one leader of a right-wing church in New Mexico [[I think it was NM, could have been NC) getting busted with over 100 videotapes of him raping pre-pubescent girls. It is what it is -- a regional story with minor interest for the rest of the country

Not sure what case you're referencing Rb. There was one so-called church leader in Texas and another in Arizona [[don;t know their politics, doubt they really had any). I think the Texas guy had spent time here in NM, but can't be sure.

Our scandals here usually deal with financial misdoings and generally involve Democrats [[since they do and have controlled state government for awhile). They kept Richardson from being Commerce Secy and the put the last two state treasurers and assorted others in prison. Some of Richardson's appointments have brought great humor and sadness [[such as appointing a guy on trial for a DWI to lead the state's anti-DWI efforts, but at least he qithdrew when convicted).

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Sanford, Gales...both examples of minor corruptions getting huge coverage relative to the importance. This NJ based scandal is gigantic and not in the headlines for more than 2 days.
    Like I said above, this really isn't that big of a story. Certainly not 'gigantic'. It's just business as usual in NJ politics. I'm surprised it got any national attention at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast