Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default West Jefferson Traffic Light and Street Light Question

How old are the traffic lights along West Jefferson Avenue in River Rouge, Ecorse and Wyandotte? I'm thinking they must be at least 20 years old [[mostly). Also, how old are the curved-head street lights themselves along Jefferson in River Rouge and Ecorse? I need to know what could be seen on that street around 1989.

I would call the DPW's and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    How old are the traffic lights along West Jefferson Avenue in River Rouge, Ecorse and Wyandotte? I'm thinking they must be at least 20 years old [[mostly). Also, how old are the curved-head street lights themselves along Jefferson in River Rouge and Ecorse? I need to know what could be seen on that street around 1989.
    You mean cobrahead lamps?

I would say that most of the cobra head streetlights were probably there. The 8"-lens signals were probably installed in the early 1980s [[They are first-generation plastic signals manufactured by Eagle Signal). Any of the 12"-lens signals that are there now were probably 8" signals back then- either aluminum signals or plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    *an Outer Drive-related story from the 1970's or 1980's*
    Appropriately enough, this video begins right along the part of West Jefferson we're talking about here-how old is this video? Every street sign appearing here has since been replaced. Even the Harbor Theater has been torn down and replaced by a church-which was later ironically torn down as well for a vacant lot that was supposed to be a CVS that never came to fruition. At 0:53, this is actually along the Allen Park/Dearborn limit-you see a brief glimpse of another long-gone landmark-the old VA Hospital. Plus, you can also get a brief glimpse at a Kmart sign a few seconds earlier-that's now a megachurch.
    Last edited by mtburb; June-05-14 at 02:52 PM.

I think 1983 or so?? Pretty funny piece by Erik Smith. Thought you guys would enjoy.

I would say that most of the cobra head streetlights were probably there. The 8"-lens signals were probably installed in the early 1980s [[They are first-generation plastic signals manufactured by Eagle Signal). Any of the 12"-lens signals that are there now were probably 8" signals back then- either aluminum signals or plastic.
    Were they all already hung from span wires back then or were some still hung from the suspended mast arms?

Anything aluminum would have been mast arms. Plastic signals were all hung by span wire on that stretch of Jefferson as far as I can tell. I'll post 2 links, one of an aluminum signal and one of a plastic signal.

Plastic signal: Aluminum Signal:

Plastic signal: Aluminum Signal:
    I don't see anything...