Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Autoshow

Living in the Detroit area, I always remembered the Autoshow as being the highlight of the year. While it was fun to check out the new models and concept cars, I liked going for the "stars." Back then, the autoshow wasn't as high profile [[or even called international), but I remember seeing the local sports players from the Lions [[like kicker Eddie Murray) and the Tigers, as well as a lot of Motown musicians playing there, like the Spinners. Any other star sightings? Also, when did the non-American automobile companies start to participate? Or were they always there? I don't remember them having a big presence in the 80's.

Keith Crain, owner of Automotive News, et al, was the driving force behind creating the North American International Automotive Show. It did raise the profile of what was primarily a regional showcase put on by the local automobile dealers association.

Thanks, Ronald. Do you know when that happen? From my memory, I don't remember seeing Japanese, German, Swedish or Italian cars there in the 80's. Maybe British?

Quote Originally Posted by Chungs View Post
    Thanks, Ronald. Do you know when that happen? From my memory, I don't remember seeing Japanese, German, Swedish or Italian cars there in the 80's. Maybe British?

The idea of expanding the auto show and giving it an international flair started in 1987. Blame it on the dealers – it was these men that had the vision and foresight that made the auto show what it is today. It wasn’t until 1989 that several dealership owners actually made the trip to Japan and Europe and invited those automobile manufacturers to participate in the newly renamed auto show.

http://www.naias.com/about/show-history.aspx

Thanks, according to the link, there were some foreign companies, but I think it was a very small presence. At least that was my memory.

The first year international auto manufacturers displayed their vehicles at the Detroit Auto Show, Domestic models from the Big Three now shared floor space with Volvo, German Isetta, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar and Porsche.

How successful has the transition to a truly major show been for Detroit? I have a friend who works for autobild.de, and he says that if they could only go to one auto show, almost everyone he knows would pick Detroit. Over Frankfort, Geneva, Paris...