Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kwame and Krew on CNBC American Greed tonight

If you haven't had enough of the Kwamster.... starts off with comparisons to his presidential potential and we all know how it ends

http://www.cnbc.com/id/18057119

Now we the world will get to see the Black Godfather KING KWAME Kilpatrick. From his Mangoonian Parties to the Pejury from the Text Message Scandal.

He maybe a playa, But he was your mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Now we the world will get to see the Black Godfather KING KWAME Kilpatrick. From his Mangoonian Parties to the Pejury from the Text Message Scandal.

He maybe a playa, But he was your mayor.
    Glad to see ya back on the boards Danny!

Please don't give this guy any more ink than he deserves. We all know he hosed us all.

Agreed. He left Detroiters to ourselves, so let's not entertain this.

For those of you that have watched the show 'Arrested Development,' this program reminds me of 'Scandalmakers.' LOL.

Hopefully the message that everyone will be left with is that the voting public and media needs to vet candidates running for office with a far more critical eye....Likeability and qualifications are two completely different considerations when delving out the power, unfortunately carisma usually rules the day in an election!

i like this shows' previous episodes.

although usually they catch people with sports cars and mansions and extravagant things. did anyone catch kwame with any of that? the feds never recovered anything of what they said he extorted ?

Default American Greed; is Aptly Named

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i like this shows' previous episodes.

although usually they catch people with sports cars and mansions and extravagant things. did anyone catch kwame with any of that? the feds never recovered anything of what they said he extorted ?
    Agreed, typically American Greed showcases criminal enterprises – the few episodes that I've actually watched.

Kwame Kilpatrick was a man that went afoul of the law and couldn't avoid the trappings and power that came with being the mayor of a major American city. Prior to that, Kilpatrick’s resume is clean and perhaps impressive.
    1. Kilpatrick attended Cass Tech
    2. He graduated from Florida State with a Bachelor of Science degree
    3. Received a Juris Doctor degree from the Detroit College of Law
    4. Elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 1996 – @ 26 years old
    5. In 2001 Kilpatrick was elected mayor - @ the ripe age of 31 years old
    Kilpatrick was a family man – ran on that premise – had twin sons and a beautiful wife. Kilpatrick has steadfastly denied any and all charges, and to this day proclaims his innocence and refuses to accept any responsibility. The citizens of Detroit will probably never get the answer to the question – why; why would an otherwise straight laced man, who is intelligent and highly educated, blatantly violate the law, over and over again, to the point he will spend decades in a Federal prison.
    Perhaps it is nothing more than arrogance and greed…

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Kwame Kilpatrick was a man that went afoul of the law and couldn't avoid the trappings and power that came with being the mayor of a major American city. Prior to that, Kilpatrick’s resume is clean and perhaps impressive.
    The same could be said of Bernie Madoff. He was clean and entirely respectable for 80% of his career. The last 20% were a nightmare. Makes for compelling TV.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The same could be said of Bernie Madoff. He was clean and entirely respectable for 80% of his career. The last 20% were a nightmare. Makes for compelling TV.
    What Bernie Madoff did was far worse. He destroyed peoples lives leaving them penniless, people committed suicide behind Madoff's scam. Kwame just destroyed himself.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-05-14 at 12:44 AM.

slow_motion Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Agreed, typically American Greed showcases criminal enterprises – the few episodes that I've actually watched.

1. Kilpatrick attended Cass Tech
    2. He graduated from Florida State with a Bachelor of Science degree
    3. Received a Juris Doctor degree from the Detroit College of Law
    4. Elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 1996 – @ 26 years old
    5. In 2001 Kilpatrick was elected mayor - @ the ripe age of 31 years old
    Kilpatrick was a family man – ran on that premise – had twin sons and a beautiful wife. Kilpatrick has steadfastly denied any and all charges, and to this day proclaims his innocence and refuses to accept any responsibility. The citizens of Detroit will probably never get the answer to the question – why; why would an otherwise straight laced man, who is intelligent and highly educated, blatantly violate the law, over and over again, to the point he will spend decades in a Federal prison.
    Perhaps it is nothing more than arrogance and greed…
    His mom & dad were crooks. He went to Florida A&M, a historically black university with a *10* percent 4-year graduation rate -- I believe that's worse than Wayne State's. Detroit College of Law was a joke back then, even so, his mom probably got him in with what had to be an extremely low LSAT score. Anyone that remembers his early days recalls how unpolished and unbearable he was to listen to. He got better in his 30s. I think most people predicted the shenanigans very early in his career. And everybody in town knew him and his dad were scamming while he was in office. The problem was Detroit was so corrupt and nobody ever went down for it, so whether or not he'd be caught was the only question.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_motion View Post
    His mom & dad were crooks. He went to Florida A&M, a historically black university with a *10* percent 4-year graduation rate -- I believe that's worse than Wayne State's. Detroit College of Law was a joke back then, even so, his mom probably got him in with what had to be an extremely low LSAT score. Anyone that remembers his early days recalls how unpolished and unbearable he was to listen to. He got better in his 30s. I think most people predicted the shenanigans very early in his career. And everybody in town knew him and his dad were scamming while he was in office. The problem was Detroit was so corrupt and nobody ever went down for it, so whether or not he'd be caught was the only question.

Where's your sources about F A&M's graduation rate? Now Kwame may have been a DB, but to say he was dumb and things were given to him by privilege is disingenuous. Kwame was very intelligent be it misguided. "Sounds like to me you're throwing things against the wall, hoping it sticks".
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-05-14 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Where's your sources about F A&M's graduation rate? Now Kwame may have been a DB, but to say he was dumb and things were given to him by privilege is disingenuous. Kwame was very intelligent be it misguided. "Sounds like to me you're throwing things against the wall, hoping it sticks".
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...es-ammons-famu

While I firmly believe that the "traditionally black" colleges and universities have done an admirable job over the years of their existence, FA&M has had severe problems in management, finances, discipline, and academics in recent years.

Default kwame

I thought it was a very good program. How much of the mango brothers can we believe

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...es-ammons-famu

While I firmly believe that the "traditionally black" colleges and universities have done an admirable job over the years of their existence, FA&M has had severe problems in management, finances, discipline, and academics in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    What Bernie Madoff did was far worse. He destroyed peoples lives leaving them penniless, people committed suicide behind Madoff's scam. Kwame just destroyed himself.
    Kwame destroyed the City along with himself.

FAMU is the #1 rated historically black school in the country. 10% 4 year grad rate means 10% graduated after four years. Many students take longer to complete a bachelors due to economic or family matters. They retain 80% of their freshmen students. FAMU has had it problems but they, administration, faculty and students, are strong and continue to improve everyday. My source?? some may ask.....I don't work for FAMU but have worked closely with them for the last 20 years. Been with them thru thick and thin and this white grandma loves FAMU! So rich with tradition, so full of determination, and always looking up and forward.
    Last edited by mercyme; June-05-14 at 12:44 PM.

The graduation rates of Wayne State University, as well as FAMU, are higher than 10%.

http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/

Re: FAMU: this from an article published in January this year:
    The new chairman of the Florida Board of Governors on Thursday criticized the graduation rates at both Florida A&M University in Tallahassee and Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. FAMU's six-year graduation rate is 39 percent, while FAU's rate is 40 percent. The rate is 86 percent at University of Florida.

There are many factors in graduation rates. You can't narrow it down to one thing. UF is our flagship school. It is THE school for those who are fortunate enough to be able to go there without working or scrounging to figure out how to pay their tuition, living expenses, etc.......It is also the school with all the research grants which draw students and also allows those who need to draw a stipend for working on the projects with their professors.FSU follows very closely second. FAMU and FAU are both much smaller schools and, while good schools, are not benefited with the same considerations as other, presumed more worthy, schools by state funding as well as endowments by individuals. Besides who gives a flip if it takes a kid 6 years to graduate? They have furthered themselves and stuck with it. More power to them.

What that the "comeback" ?

I wonder when a TV movie will eventually be produced. I predict that it will happen. If it were to happen now, I guess Anthony Anderson could play the main character.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Re: FAMU: this from an article published in January this year:
    The new chairman of the Florida Board of Governors on Thursday criticized the graduation rates at both Florida A&M University in Tallahassee and Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. FAMU's six-year graduation rate is 39 percent, while FAU's rate is 40 percent. The rate is 86 percent at University of Florida.
    I graduated from FAMU. Took me five years. I seem to have turned out okay though...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Kwame destroyed the City along with himself.
    With all due respect, Detroit was on it's way to insolvency without Kwame's help.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-06-14 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I wonder when a TV movie will eventually be produced. I predict that it will happen. If it were to happen now, I guess Anthony Anderson could play the main character.
    Nah, we had Forrest Whitaker as Kwhyme, as long as he'd agree to full-frontal nudity...since that could not be avoided in this role.

I couldn't find the numerous threads we had on it, but got close with this one.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...thug-KK-s-book

Cheers,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast