Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Grosse Pointe waterfront

Got a couple questions from when I drove down lakeshore the other day. First thing, it seems like the homes that are on the same side as the lake do not have any boat hoists, or even boat wells, etc to tie up a boat for the people who live there. So I was wondering if Grosse Pointe will not allow the residents to do that? Secondly, why are there no canals in GP, all the canals start in St. Clair shores and everywhere north of that, but none in the Pointes?

1. The lake is very shallow at the shore. You would need a very long pier to support a boat lift at the end.

2. Historically, the ultra-rich in GP keep their boats at the yacht club.

3. If you want a boat house [[with lift) in the back yard, find a place along the North Channel/St Clair River in the Fair Haven/Algonac/Marine City area.

Without a proper seawall harbor, the docks and boats would get wiped out by the waves in bad weather. If you notice all the harbors are protected on the lake side. However it is obviously easier to build docks in channels and rivers as there is little threat from waves.
    Last edited by noggin; June-02-14 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Without a proper seawall harbor, the docks would get wiped out by the waves in bad weather. If you notice all the harbors are protected on the lake side. However it is obviously easier to build docks in channels and rivers as there is little threat from waves.
    The lifting effect of the lake ice in the winter would have more of a negative effect on the long piers and the boatlifts than would the waves.

In harrison twp, up by metro beach it seems like there are many boats docked or on lifts, right on the lake side out in the open with no seawall harbors etc.

Re: the riverfront in the Pointes... What is the speed limit? will you get followed if you don't live there?

I do not think they are disallowed. I think the preference is to keep the boat down the street at either the municipal parks or one of the sail/yacht clubs. I think a couple of the mansions on Windmill Pointe Drive have boathouses, but don't quote me.

The State of Michigan owns the property along Lakeshore on Lake St. Clair. At one time the old estates owned mineral rights out into the lake, but as the estates were sold the rights reverted to the state.
    Neither the Farms or the Shores allows boats to be permenantly moored on the lake between where Lakeshore meets the lake and the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club.
    Hypestyles, the speed limit on Lakeshore is 35 MPH, do not go over 38-40 especially in Grosse Pointe Shores as everyone speeding will receive a ticket in the Shores.
    Mackinaw, there are quite a few boathouses connected to houses that have property along the lake.
    In the late 19th century just about every farm or summer cottage had a boathouse or dock on the lake. At the time water was the best form of transportation as the roads were sparse.
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by p69rrh51; June-03-14 at 12:08 PM.

P69, great images. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    P69, great images. Thanks!
    YW Guideboat!

Having lived in a carriage house on one of the last waterfront estates near Cadieux Road during the early 1980s, some years the ice would smash in the concrete seawall onto the lawn. Yes, the water was shallow [[3 feet?) where we were but in other places near Neff Park the water [[then) was about 6 feet deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Re: the riverfront in the Pointes... What is the speed limit?
    30MPH, might be 25. DON'T speed.

will you get followed if you don't live there?
    Only if you are driving a car with something wrong [[expired tabs, broken lights, etc...) or are driving like a maniac.

IIRC you can park in the GP Academy parking lot and walk along the waterfront if you like. I used to ride my bike down there and walk around.

Most people keep their boats at the Yacht club or at the municipal parks. The water can get pretty shallow in spots near the shore, which is probably why you don't see too many boathouses.

The speed limit on Lakeshore Drive [[Jefferson) is 35. Do not go over it or you will likely get pulled over. I have been pulled over on Lakeshore for: going 4 mph over, having a tail light out and not appearing to wear my seatbelt [[I only had the lap belt on so they could not see it). And I live there. So it is not so much profiling of certain kinds of people but just really aggressive policing in general.

Could you build a dock that goes out a little further and install a boat lift? I'm just curious as I am looking into a few properties in this area and this would be a big factor on whether I would be purchasing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    Could you build a dock that goes out a little further and install a boat lift? I'm just curious as I am looking into a few properties in this area and this would be a big factor on whether I would be purchasing or not.
    The flats extend offshore for quite a distance along Lakeshore Drive. Why don't you pop your boat in and troll the shore in the areas that interest you? You seem like an experienced boater; I think you might avoid running aground and all.

Google "The Delphine Channel" for an interesting read on this very subject.

FYI the Army Corps of Engineers have called for a slight rise in the lake levels, but a lot of that water has yet to feed into LSC. Mind the levels now and most importantly..... think towards the future of your lakefront purchase and how the shoreline exists today.

I had a friend purchase a house on the canals of SCS. Two days later after he occupied there was a block community associate on his doorstep looking for thousands of $$ for the re-dredging of their canal. Yes, these things happen with our volatile lake levels.

I don't think the properties on Lakeshore extend out to the lake. As another poster said the shoreline is owned by the state. That whole stretch of Lake St. Claire gets pummeled by huge waves in the spring and fall, and ice floes in the winter. That's why all the harbors along that stretch are protected, the shore is buttressed by a metal seawall and big chunks of concrete along Lakeshore, and the rest of the shoreline is mostly metal seawall and concrete up to Metro Beach.

Your options are to buy right on the water and use a lift, get a house on canal, or park your boat in a marina. I think most of the houses to the east and west of Lakeshore drive that are on the water have lifts, and a few have boat houses.

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    Most people keep their boats at the Yacht club or at the municipal parks. The water can get pretty shallow in spots near the shore, which is probably why you don't see too many boathouses.

The speed limit on Lakeshore Drive [[Jefferson) is 35. Do not go over it or you will likely get pulled over. I have been pulled over on Lakeshore for: going 4 mph over, having a tail light out and not appearing to wear my seatbelt [[I only had the lap belt on so they could not see it). And I live there. So it is not so much profiling of certain kinds of people but just really aggressive policing in general.
    Where are you looking?

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Where are you looking?
    Looking along the lakeshore just north of the grosse pointe yacht club, and further down lakeshore to the south where lakeshore road meets houses on the eastside of lakeshore. Ideally would like to put in a dock with a boat hoist at the end of it.

Looking along the lakeshore just north of the grosse pointe yacht club, and further down lakeshore to the south where lakeshore road meets houses on the eastside of lakeshore. Ideally would like to put in a dock with a boat hoist at the end of it.
    you're in luck, there is a listing on the lake just north of the yacht club... not sure about boat storage but one hell of a mcmansion

http://www.freep.com/article/2013102...r-15-9-million

28,000 Square feet is not a McMansion! LOL

You guys must remember Dodge's Rose Terrace in GPF & the small boat dock in LSC for the Delphine.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    You guys must remember Dodge's Rose Terrace in GPF & the small boat dock in LSC for the Delphine.....?

It's still cruising the Med today after a total restoration not too long ago. http://www.superyachts.com/motor-yac...s-delphine.htm

It can be yours for $50,000,000. [[or 470,000 for a week charter ...excluding expenses)

Looks very similar to the SS Eastland:
    Name:  sseastman.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  7.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Re: the riverfront in the Pointes... What is the speed limit? will you get followed if you don't live there?
    Lakeshore is well patrolled. The speed limit, 35mph, is well-posted.

I lived at 2 Sycamore Lane in GP - we put in a boat hoist, but had to have permission from the Corps of Army Engineers before doing so. The subsequent owners took it out.