Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Historic Marker for Negro League Baseball Park

A Michigan historical marker will be erected at Roesink Stadium in Hamtramck this summer. This park was built for the Detroit Stars and is one of a few remaining Negro League stadia. Ty Cobb, apparently, threw out the first pitch when the Stars played their first game here.

http://detroit1701.org/Roesink.html

If true, the Ty Cobb thing is a little odd, since he was known as a redneck racist a-hole, talent notwithstanding.

GUSHI Guest

Isn't redneck a racist word, does your above comment imply that you are a racist?

GUSHI Guest

The term Redneck is chiefly used for a poor rural white person of the Southern United States. It can be a derogatory slang term[1][2] similar in meaning to cracker [[especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly [[especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash [[but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]

GUSHI Guest

Cracker, sometimes white cracker or cracka, is a derogatory term for white people,[1] especially poor rural whites in the Southern United States. In reference to a native of Florida or Georgia, however, it is sometimes used in a neutral or positive context and is sometimes used self-descriptively with pride [[see Florida cracker and Georgia cracker).[2]

Ty Cobb was not known to be a great friend to African Americans, regardless of wording. Therefore I find it quite odd that he would throw out the first pitch in a park dedicated to Negro League play.

GUSHI Guest

I agree he was a known racist, my thing is this if you would of substituted derogatory slang term for a African American, this board would of erupted, but do to it was toward a white person, it's no big deal right? I'm just trying to point out the double standard in society, and if it was a derogatory slang term for a homosexual, it might of got a little buzz, Donald Sterling says he doesn't want black at his game, he is forced to sell his team, Kobe uses derogatory slang term for homosexuals, no big deal-keeping on dribbling Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    I agree he was a known racist, my thing is this if you would of substituted derogatory slang term for a African American, this board would of erupted, but do to it was toward a white person.

It's "would have", not "would of", you dribbling idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    I agree he was a known racist, my thing is this if you would of substituted derogatory slang term for a African American, this board would of erupted, but do to it was toward a white person, it's no big deal right? I'm just trying to point out the double standard in society, and if it was a derogatory slang term for a homosexual, it might of got a little buzz, Donald Sterling says he doesn't want black at his game, he is forced to sell his team, Kobe uses derogatory slang term for homosexuals, no big deal-keeping on dribbling Kobe.
    I speak only for myself, and not the world, but words do not generally bother me. Donald Sterling isn't a racist ass because he said some insulting things about black people. He's a racist ass because he wouldn't rent apartments to minorities. Actions speak louder than words. People are free to have their own thoughts in their head, and say whatever they please, however horrible their sentiments may be. It is when one does bad things that it becomes problematic. The Clippers players are right to not want to play for such an awful owner; they are hypocrites, though, because his bad behavior was documented and well known before his recent comments. They had no problem cashing checks from the man who was known to have mistreated black and hispanic people. But when he said that he didn't want his prostiut- um, girlfriend- to bring black people to games, THAT was the straw that broke the camel's back? They were just covering their asses. I think they don't actually care what an 80-year billionaire doddering weirdo thinks. And, yes, Kobe and many other players have said bad things about various groups of people. And I don't care. I might not want to hang out with them, but their comments don't bother me [[not against gay people, black people, white people, religious people, etc). When players shoot people, slap their wives around, neglect child support payments, get arrested for DUI or drug possession, those things do bother me. Saying bad things? Well, I still believe that sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt. If they hurt you, grow a set. Life is too short to be offended by everything. Save the hurt for the terrible stuff and get on with your life. Rant over.

GUSHI Guest

Thanks for the correction, what why the name calling? Lowlife, sob.
    Quote Originally Posted by d'oh View Post
    It's "would have", not "would of", you dribbling idiot...

GUSHI Guest

I usually don't let words bother me either, I'm just sick of the double standard
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I speak only for myself, and not the world, but words do not generally bother me. Donald Sterling isn't a racist ass because he said some insulting things about black people. He's a racist ass because he wouldn't rent apartments to minorities. Actions speak louder than words. People are free to have their own thoughts in their head, and say whatever they please, however horrible their sentiments may be. It is when one does bad things that it becomes problematic. The Clippers players are right to not want to play for such an awful owner; they are hypocrites, though, because his bad behavior was documented and well known before his recent comments. They had no problem cashing checks from the man who was known to have mistreated black and hispanic people. But when he said that he didn't want his prostiut- um, girlfriend- to bring black people to games, THAT was the straw that broke the camel's back? They were just covering their asses. I think they don't actually care what an 80-year billionaire doddering weirdo thinks. And, yes, Kobe and many other players have said bad things about various groups of people. And I don't care. I might not want to hang out with them, but their comments don't bother me [[not against gay people, black people, white people, religious people, etc). When players shoot people, slap their wives around, neglect child support payments, get arrested for DUI or drug possession, those things do bother me. Saying bad things? Well, I still believe that sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt. If they hurt you, grow a set. Life is too short to be offended by everything. Save the hurt for the terrible stuff and get on with your life. Rant over.

Racist is one of many ways to describe Ty Cobb: a megalomaniac, who was just as eccentric as he was dangerous and violent. I don’t think he liked anybody; his best friend was a Colt .45 caliber pistol.
    Just prior to his death, Cobb entered a Georgia Hospital; bringing with him a paper bag with over $1 million in bearer bonds, and his best friend – that dumb gun that he carted around everywhere – less than a month later he was dead.
    Cobb got into innumerable physical confrontations with black men [[for undoubtedly running his mouth). However, some say Cobb mellowed in his later years; I liken the mellowing to George Wallace when he ran for president. Wallace claimed he was a different man during his run for the presidency, he abandoned his slogan – segregation now, segregation forever – and naively thought Americans would forgive, forget, or believe him as he stood in front of a school [[as governor) refusing to allow children of color to enter.
    Cobb was a great baseball player – he was “the Georgia Peach” – complete with a convoluted logic, laced with cruel stinging remarks, and razor sharp cleats.
    History has judged both of them

The home that Cobb lived in circa 1911 still exists in Woodbridge.

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2008...till-standing/

"Detroit is filled with forgotten treasures like this one. For anyone on a trip through the city this summer, I recommend taking an extra five minutes to see this little gem. The home is located at 4117 Commonwealth Street just north of Grand River Avenue and east of 12th Street. Your goosebumps will thank you..."

You holier-than-thou pinheads have a LOT of balls judging people who've been dead for years. [[IE, Ty Cobb and white southern people in general)
    Any student of human anthropology can tell you that it is NOT human nature to be accepting of others who are different from your perceived group. That is a learned behavior.
    There is, and always has been animosity, for lack of a better word, between, Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals, Spartans and Trojans, Romans and Mongols, Poles and Albanians, Black and White.
    So, your Mama taught you to be accepting of everyone different from you. Good job, Mom! But you have no right to judge others from other generations and PRETEND you are superior to anyone.

GUSHI Guest

Spartans and Wolverines?

Detroiters and suburbanites?

Not a day goes by when one doesn't hear someone talking about the Albanian-Polish wars. Oh, wait. They've all gone by without it.

GUSHI Guest

I have never heard of the Albanian polish wars, I know albanian got in fights with poles, when they first came over, 60s And 70s, to Detroit,

i know Albanians and Ottomans got into fights, 500 years of occupation, country going from majority Christian to majority Moslem.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    A Michigan historical marker will be erected at Roesink Stadium in Hamtramck this summer. This park was built for the Detroit Stars and is one of a few remaining Negro League stadia. Ty Cobb, apparently, threw out the first pitch when the Stars played their first game here.

http://detroit1701.org/Roesink.html
    This thread got way off track, but thanks for letting us know about this event. I hope to be in attendance when it takes place.