Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Favorite radio stars [[dj's and sports) from the 80's and 90's

Hey there, trying to jog my childhood memory. Who are the names that stand out for you? Obviously, there was Al Kaline and Ernie Harwell, as well as Bruce Martyn.

What about the music DJ's? Which was the most popular Motown/Oldie's station from that era?

I know Howard Stern was briefly around, as well.

Lee Alan & Joel Sebastian

Charles Johnson and Ernie...

Mojo. And no, not Mojo in the mornin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Mojo. And no, not Mojo in the mornin'.
    Wasn't he the "Electrifying Mojo"?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Yep. He took the art to a new level for a while.

Mark Scott... he was the best.. a tinfoil-hat-wearing-black-helicopter-fearing persons dream....

he would be having a ball commenting on today's state of affairs in government

Who were the regular announcers on WJR, the sports station, when the game wasn't on?

And what about the oldies station. Anyone remember those names?

WJR had of course, JP McCarthy for years in the AM. Morning has broken [[but JP can fix it)....

Who hosted "Night Flight 760"? Radio program on WJR which started I think...at 11:30 pm with the sound of a jet taking off... Jay Roberts?

Oh my...Jimmy Launce, Warren Pierce

Yes! The Midnight Funk Association.

thats who i said lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Yep. He took the art to a new level for a while.
    he was great. I think he was the first DJ in Detroit to play Kraftwerk and Devo, too.

Who were those DJs on that early-80s "new wave"/post-punk station?

Famous Coachman and Harvey Ovshinsky [[father of WDET's reporters and son of one of Detroit;s most innovative men ever). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_R._Ovshinsky His dad invented batteries, the LED screen, writable CDs, the hydrogen fuel cell, and solar roof shingles!

Who was the WNIC guy? Allen Almond? Music to put you to sleep!

Dick Purtan from CKLW

For me, the greatest was and always will be Mike Halloran.

Dick Purtan went from being a lovable jester to a hateful, hard-right, union-hating, bitter old man. By the time he went off the air, he was an embarrassment.

Alan Almond,LisaLisa,The Electrifying Mojo,Dick Purtin,Jim Harper,Mason,&Delilah [[though I don't know if I ever knew her last name) were a few favs of mine over the years.
    Last edited by trotwood; May-30-14 at 05:57 PM.

18. Default

David Newman, an intellectual conservative, a now nearly extinct species.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Alan Almond,LisaLisa,The Electrifying Mojo,Dick Purtin,Jim Harper,Mason,&Delilah [[though I don't know if I ever knew her last name) were a few favs of mine over the years.
    I totally forgot about LisaLisa! When the dance music format of WDRQ started I was only in 6th/7th grade but it was the ONLY station I listened to until the format changed to DougFM when I started college. I remember going to a club and finding out LisaLisa was the DJ and feeling like I was among royalty. What a nerd.

David Newmann. J.P. McCarthy. T.E. Mojo. Ralph Valdez [[though he was mostly 2000s) Bruce Williams [[syndicated)

Also - the guy who was on in, literally, the middle of the night on CBC radio. He'd play non-stop for hours, sometimes playing every song by a particular artist in alphabetical order all night.

Lol! I thought LisaLisa was the best thing going back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    I totally forgot about LisaLisa! When the dance music format of WDRQ started I was only in 6th/7th grade but it was the ONLY station I listened to until the format changed to DougFM when I started college. I remember going to a club and finding out LisaLisa was the DJ and feeling like I was among royalty. What a nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    For me, the greatest was and always will be Mike Halloran.
    Mike Halloran's Radios In Motion show on WDET was really good. I coulda woulda shoulda been a great Detroit DJ but no one would hire me. The closest I came was at WWWW FM when it was a rock station. They offered me a gig but later rescinded after the GM said they needed a minority hire. Mark McEwen got the job and would go on to be the weatherman on the CBS morning TV show. I took a job at a rock station in Honolulu. Sun, surf, sand and string bikinis wasn't too shabby. Thanks W4 for not hiring me.

Dick the Bruiser, George Swell and the gang.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe0yZ2Kqz_c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwH8ptT0wjc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4POj4UuJvU

My dad told me that the real Dick the Bruiser was also an english teacher at U of D.