Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Saw David Bowie there right after the "Young Americans" album release. I believe he played there 5 nights straight. I also saw Tim Buckley there, on one of the worst snow days Detroit ever had. I think a total of 5 people came out. Tim and his band showed up. He looked around and said, "well, if you guys showed up, we're gonna play". Put on one hell of a show. A friend spun @ the Aorta. Spent a lot of time there too. I'm surprised no one mentioned Lansdowne or Ginnapolis, 12 & Middlebelt.
    Or Jamie's [[Coe) on 7 mile & Middlebelt - what a blast!

I know this is a Detroit thread but I used to bounce at The Nectarine Ballroom, which used to be Chances Are, the The Second Chance, now I believe its called The Necto. Its still there on Liberty St but not nearly as big as they scuttled the first floor. I was there in the late 80s and on Sundays we had Black Night as we all called it. The Wizard AKA Jeff Mills would spin the shit out of that place and everybody from the city would come down to dance and party, everybody dressed up and driving these crazy ass cars. This was the late 80s when drug money was everywhere and all the crazy shit that goes with it. The Wizard was truly amazing and I had a couple of his mixed tapes that I wish I still had. His bodyguard Tyrone saved my ass one night out front from being mobbed. I was the only straight white guy who would work both gay night and Sundays "black night"
    Lots of good and bad memories working there.

Before that when I was a teen it Was Spankys in Waterford. I didnt get down to Detroit till College where City Club and Bookies were the scene. The original Bookies on 6 mile not that whatchamacallit on Cass.

I got into Uncle Sam's with false ID back in 1978. You know, when your'e invincible? My late Mom was NOT happy about my going anywhere-even at age Twenty two! lol. The Firebird advertised itself on the radio in '79 as an Alternative to the Discos. Disco was starting to suck around then, and when it went down, the whole recording industry almost did WITH it. All those gals in the Disco Dresses. I still have a Firecracker Glass from Uncle Sam's. The Sin Drome was up the street from them.

Uncle Sam's had the coolest drag racing video game back then [[mid 70's) - you actually sat in the drivers seat, watched the Xmas tree countdown, revved engine with the gas pedal, then shifted gears on a hurst shifter.

I remember the weekend dance parties on the Boblo boats

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I remember the weekend dance parties on the Boblo boats
    And, of course, the Moonlight Cruise. How about the "Battle of The Bands" @ the pavillion on the island?

I remember Uncle Sams and Chances Are. Chances Are in 1976 the night before the Michigan/Ohio State game. I wish I could remember the name of the band that played that night, but alas it has been too long ago. Good times were found in Flint back then as well.

Great thread. Had my first underage drink at Coral Gables in Taylor. I remember when Kraftwerk played Uncle Sam's. Awe-some!

I DJ'ed at a bunch of places in the 80's and still have the vinyl to prove it:
    Sabatini's on Plymouth, Gangster's on Telegraph and Joy [[till it burned down), Club Mayhem I think was on Grand River, Shot's on Southfield in Allen Park, the Bob-Lo boat in '84, Tangerine Room/River Place [[88-90), the Warehouse downtown, Ortheia's Place on 8 Mile, Van Dyke's Lounge, Club UBQ, Sud's Factory in Ypsi, and my favorite: Gibson's Lounge!

What was the name of the place that was on Telegraph in Dearborn [[Heights?) that was pretty awesome looking from the road? I never went in there but I remember driving by it a zillion times and it looking pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Great thread. Had my first underage drink at Coral Gables in Taylor. I remember when Kraftwerk played Uncle Sam's. Awe-some!

I DJ'ed at a bunch of places in the 80's and still have the vinyl to prove it:
    Sabatini's on Plymouth, Gangster's on Telegraph and Joy [[till it burned down), Club Mayhem I think was on Grand River, Shot's on Southfield in Allen Park, the Bob-Lo boat in '84, Tangerine Room/River Place [[88-90), the Warehouse downtown, Ortheia's Place on 8 Mile, Van Dyke's Lounge, Club UBQ, Sud's Factory in Ypsi, and my favorite: Gibson's Lounge!

What was the name of the place that was on Telegraph in Dearborn [[Heights?) that was pretty awesome looking from the road? I never went in there but I remember driving by it a zillion times and it looking pretty spectacular.
    Actually Gangsters became the first Club Mayhem. It was located right next to Ashley's where Benny and the Jets were the house band for years. After it burned it moved to GR and US-24. After the fire, the old location's sign read "We are too hot for this location, go to Grand River"!

Desoto's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Alvin's on the north end of the WSU campus was having its day during that timespan. I closed out that place more than once.
    I'm friends with Alvin these days. I email him the occasional update on his former place. He's not much on emails though and won't join facebook. Basically I see him once or twice a year when he's in Detroit area. He's good friends with my next door neighbor is how I know him actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Alvin's on the north end of the WSU campus was having its day during that timespan. I closed out that place more than once.
    I remember going there Tuesday nights for Open Mike, and seeing some woman named Thornetta Davis singing a song or two.....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Actually Gangsters became the first Club Mayhem. It was located right next to Ashley's where Benny and the Jets were the house band for years. After it burned it moved to GR and US-24. After the fire, the old location's sign read "We are too hot for this location, go to Grand River"!

Desoto's.
    Yes, I remember the fire well. A guy that I DJ'ed with back in the Gangsters days called me when he saw it on the news and we drove down there. I still have the pictures of the remnants. Then when Greg [[the guy who owned the place) moved to Grand River and I worked there for a while but it just wasn't my scene. Didn't he change the name to "Grand River Rock Cafe" or am I thinking of another place?

Thanks for the Desoto's flashback. Couldn't remember the name and never did make it in there.

After Uncle Sam's it was NITROS and then MAXIE'S I believe. Used to go underage when it was Nitro's [[kinda a teen hangout) I-Rock and Harpo's, Shelter, State Theater Bar [[actually one of the last concerts I seen was there awhile back, Disturbed and Drowning Pool.) Backstage [[Woodward)

In the suburbs definitely Jamie's on 7, Jamie's on Ford Rd., Tremor's, Simon's [[Downriver), and a bunch of others...lol

Oh yea... Blondies on 8 mile.

Detroit cover bands I remember besides Bittersweet Alley are, The Look, Halloween, Adrenilin, Seduce, The Rockets, Wally Jackson [[Mustang Lounge, Inkster)

The Red Door which is now Avalon Bakery. That was the 90s but a great place to suck some balloons and have a good time.

What was the name of the bar on the east side of Telegraph south of 5 mile. They had bands there. I think the building is not there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Oh yea... Blondies on 8 mile.

Detroit cover bands I remember besides Bittersweet Alley are, The Look, Halloween, Adrenilin, Seduce, The Rockets, Wally Jackson [[Mustang Lounge, Inkster)
    cover bands? I seem to remember BSA, the Look, Adrenalin and the Rockets doing some covers, but a fair number of originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I remember going there Tuesday nights for Open Mike, and seeing some woman named Thornetta Davis singing a song or two.....
    The Chisel Brothers featuring Girl Thornetta. Whatever happened to the Chisel Bros.?

The Freestyle at Telegraph and Joy had bands several nights a week, mostly originals, sometimes "new wave" or punk. Up Telegraph a bit was The Ranch, which was not unlike Freestyle.
    As far as dance clubs, even though I never went, I remember Cheeks on 8 mile as being pretty trendy in the 80's. Always saw lines of limos coming and going from their parking lot.

Wooley Bully's was on Kelly in the 80's.

Talk about bringing back some great memories... Uncle Sams's was THE place in the mid-70's for sure... I saw Son Seals at Alvin's... sat at the first table from the stage... Remember it being so loud that I couldn't hear for days, but also didn't care... What was the name of the 2-story bar on the east side of Telegraph, between Ann Arbor Trail and Joy Rd? I believe it was in the location where the Belle Tire store is now...

What was the name of the 2-story bar on the east side of Telegraph, between Ann Arbor Trail and Joy Rd? I believe it was in the location where the Belle Tire store is now...

Desoto's, mentioned earlier. And yes, The Ranch was the one I was thinking of by Telegraph and 5 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    In the suburbs definitely Jamie's on 7, Jamie's on Ford Rd....
    Just wondering, anyone know if Jamie's on Ford Rd in Garden City is still open? Jamie's house band is still playing at local bar gigs [[Jamie Coe Band).

I was the DJ at JL Seagulls and Maxies/Nitros also a club on Joy Road called Dimples. Very cool telephones on the tables. Many great times in these historic clubs. DJ Robbie Knight

There was the Ritz with Confetti's at Gratiot and Frazho, New York New York at Hoover and 11 mile, Traxx on Gratiot near 7 Mile, and The famously grungy Main Act theatre over on the East Side along I-94.

Saw Toby Redd at NYNY and Ritz many times...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast