Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by rartinian View Post
    I was the DJ at JL Seagulls and Maxies/Nitros also a club on Joy Road called Dimples. Very cool telephones on the tables. Many great times in these historic clubs. DJ Robbie Knight
    I remember Nitro, I think it is now a "throw back" club. JL Seagull's still stands, I think - I remember the "lighthouse" it had

Default The aorta was the place to be on thursday night sometime you with wait two hours to g

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned The Arorta Bar "The Main Vain Of Detroit" at 6 mile west of Woodward. Best music in town. Does anyone remember Bimbos on Woodward near 7 mile. Bimbos was a great dance club.
    Aorta bar was a great place to be on Thursday nights it was oldies night big fun

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Wooley Bully's was on Kelly in the 80's.
    Beach bucket margarita night at Wooly Bully's nearly brought about my premature demise.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Beach bucket margarita night at Wooly Bully's nearly brought about my premature demise.
    As well as upside-down kamakazi's. It really was a fun bar.

The Side Door on Telegraph, next to the giant whipped cream cans, was where I had my first date with my now husband.

Played a lot of foosball at the Aorta.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    As well as upside-down kamakazi's. It really was a fun bar.
    It was indeed. It was our hangout every Wednesday and Friday for a year or more. Also, I now know why folks say, "seems like just yesterday".

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Great thread. Had my first underage drink at Coral Gables in Taylor. I remember when Kraftwerk played Uncle Sam's. Awe-some!.
    OMG, I was at that concert. Remember Florian handing his "pocket calculator" controller into the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Getting held down laying back in the barber chair with 3 people pouring tequila, triple sec, and sour mix into my mouth, damn!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Red Carpet & Painted Pony were the first two that came to mind. I was at many others but....the ol' hard drive doesn't work as well as it used to.

Oh yeah...Uncle Sams too.
    Did I used to go and see Cheap Trick in the mid-70s [[1975-1976) at the Red Carpet, or did I just dream that? Too many Singapore Slings, perhaps? LOL

Name:  Aorta.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  28.7 KB

The Aorta? Heck, I was a regular! Harvey "Motown" Turner played the most spectacular dance music...rock, Motown, you name it......if it was danceable, it got played. Harvey also had a side biz that did security for Harpos. He and I are still in touch via Facebook. Great times!

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    It was indeed. It was our hangout every Wednesday and Friday for a year or more. Also, I now know why folks say, "seems like just yesterday".
    Good memories for sure. Just wasn't the same when they expanded and when they reopened on Grosbeck.

Clearly my adolescence came too late. Best I came by was The Shelter/St. Andrew's, Bookie's [[on McNichols, but only once, alas), and The Warehouse.

Then again, I still like a lot of the music I was listening to back when.

So far, these are all local hangouts that some knew and some didn't. But were there any really FAMOUS clubs that people elsewhere knew? Maybe some that made TV shows or movies?

Cheeks, at the old Sydney Hill Health Club on 8 Mile East of Schaefer. Around 1972 or 1973. Before my time but it was there.

What was the name of the Studio 54 style disco in Detroit known for not letting news anchor Doris Biscoe in?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    What was the name of the Studio 54 style disco in Detroit known for not letting news anchor Doris Biscoe in?
    This what you're talking about?
    Name:  cheeks.JPG
Views: 2131
Size:  59.7 KB
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...Woodward/page2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3