Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Indian Villlage House and Garden Tour 2014

Its that time of the year. Indian Village is hosting its 41st House and Garden Tour.

http://www.historicindianvillage.org/home-garden-tour/

3403 Iroquois built in 1915. The first owner Louis A. Rabaut.

Architect: Unknown to me
    The house cost approximately $10,000 to build.
    The image is from the Indian Village website.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-28-14 at 08:03 AM.

Designed by Louis Kamper for August P. Kling. 2130 Iroquois built in 1914 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

Kling was Kamper's Brother-in-law.
    The house cost approximately $12,000 to build.

Designed by Albert Kahn for Charles J. Butler. 1507 Iroquois built in 1914 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

The house cost approximately $15,000 to build.

Designed by Nettleton & Kahn for the Cook Farm Company. The first owner was Frederick H. Andrus. 1042 Seminole built in 1900 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

One of three houses designed by Nettleton & Kahn for the Cook Farm Company and one of five houses of similar design by Nettleton and Kahn in the city.
    The house cost approximately $7,000 to build.

Designed by Herman & Simons for Richard H. Macauley. 2240 Seminole built in 1920 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

The house cost approximately $18,000 to build.

Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls for William R. Kales. 1730 Burns built in 1912 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

The house cost approximately $45,000 to build.

Built by Modern Construction Company. The first owner was Mrs. Eliza W. Eaton. 1823 Burns built in 1917 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

Architect: Unknown to me
    The house approximately $11,000 to build.

used to live on seminole. so glad to see that this tradition is continuing.

Great stuff. Thank you for posting all of the houses! I've been in several of these houses over the years and all were quite interesting. Nice to see that first house at Iroquois and Goethe, which seemed to be in trouble for several years, on the list. I've always loved that house at 2240 Seminole.

Bumping for tomorrow.

What a great day for the home tour. We especially enjoyed the home on Burns that was still using its ca 1920 appliances [[stove, icebox) A rare treat!

Quote Originally Posted by kklemmer View Post
    What a great day for the home tour. We especially enjoyed the home on Burns that was still using its ca 1920 appliances [[stove, icebox) A rare treat!
    interesting, but not very energy efficient.

I missed that house.

A lot of houses were using booties this year, which seemed to slow down the lines. Maybe next year they could use carpet runners.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls for William R. Kales. 1730 Burns built in 1912 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

The house cost approximately $45,000 to build.
    That looks just like the house I grew up in! Except we had more of an 'english' garden. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3589...b7Oyo8XNfw!2e0

The refrigerator is the original Chrysler-Koppin installed in 1917, and one of two marble faced C-K refrigerators I have seen in Detroit. The other refrigerator resides in Louis Kamper's house at 2150 Iroquois. C-K refrigerators seem to be geographically centered on the eastside, I have never found them outside of Indian Village or Grosse Pointe.

The refrigerator is the original Chrysler-Koppin installed in 1917, and one of two marble faced C-K refrigerators I have seen in Detroit. The other refrigerator resides in Louis Kamper's house at 2150 Iroquois. C-K refrigerators seem to be geographically centered on the eastside, I have never found them outside of Indian Village or Grosse Pointe.
    BE never had any installed in any of those homes?

There is a house on Burns near Jefferson that has a restored Chrysler-Koppin refrigerator, as well as a house on Seyburn that near Agnes that has a Chrysler-Koppin Ice Box [[ice door on back of house and drain/drip sink in basement)

One other place I've seen Chrysler-Koppin is in the galley storeroom on the museum ship Col. James M. Schoonmaker in Toledo. Large wall coolers/freezers were installed during a 1950's galley remodelling.

Very interesting about the marble face. The ice box on Seyburn has a marble interior, wire shelves and a quartersawn oak exterior with white door inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    BE never had any installed in any of those homes?
    There may be/may have been a C-K frig in B-E but I have not personally seen one. Its somewhat surprising, considering in general the same architects were designing houses in both B-E and IV.

BillyBBrew a commercial installation by C-K is not surprising, they are still manufacturing commercial refrigeration equipment. Nice to know about the refrigerator on Seyburn, I have a feeling there are a few more in West Village.