Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Default Vinsetta Garage Eatery in Berkley Wants to Level Houses for More Parking

UPDATE: Berkley rejects controversial Vinsetta Garage parking plan

Jump to Updated new Discussion >>

A popular restaurant on Woodward is booming, needs more parking and is requesting permission to demolish residential housing behind it. But is that necessary on Woodward, one of the few avenues in metro Detroit with somewhat adequate bus service? Neighbors are resisting.

Synopsis by DeadlineDetroit from WXYZ

People who eat at Vinsetta Garage aren't taking the bus.

If I lived on the street, I wouldn't want the houses demolished. The restaurant is cool, but never had adequate parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    A popular restaurant on Woodward is booming, needs more parking and is requesting permission to demolish residential housing behind it. But is that necessary on Woodward, one of the few avenues in metro Detroit with somewhat adequate bus service? Neighbors are resisting.

Synopsis by DeadlineDetroit from WXYZ

All the networks and I believe both dailies...plus the above and other blogs had breathless stories on this over the weekend. What this is a huge neon sign reminding us how tiny and irrelevant this entire region is if a zoning pissing match in a suburb takes up this much news time.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    All the networks and I believe both dailies...plus the above and other blogs had breathless stories on this over the weekend. What this is a huge neon sign reminding us how tiny and irrelevant this entire region is if a zoning pissing match in a suburb takes up this much news time.
    Chill out...this story is not some overwhelming indictment on metro Detroit's relevance to the world. I am sure other large cities have stories like this run that relate to one of the more popular restaurants in the metro area.

Regarding Vinsetta, I don't blame the neighbors. While I am sure there is an argument regarding this being private property so do as you want, I'd be annoyed if my block was having houses demo'd for parking. Additionally, this was a known issue from the time Vinsetta announced they'd renovate that property into a restaurant. Parking was an issue before construction even started and now the neighbors have to deal with the consequences of that poor planning.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Chill out...this story is not some overwhelming indictment on metro Detroit's relevance to the world. I am sure other large cities have stories like this run that relate to one of the more popular restaurants in the metro area.
    Well, I mean what's next? reporting on neighbor disputes over privacy fence height? I'm not upset or outraged...just bemused that all three network news did multiple reports on this petty ante suburban zoning fight.

Regarding Vinsetta, I don't blame the neighbors. While I am sure there is an argument regarding this being private property so do as you want, I'd be annoyed if my block was having houses demo'd for parking. Additionally, this was a known issue from the time Vinsetta announced they'd renovate that property into a restaurant. Parking was an issue before construction even started and now the neighbors have to deal with the consequences of that poor planning.
    What is also not discussed is the four houses on Oxford that Vinsetta wants to demo and several of the outraged neighbors ALREADY back up to parking lot for the apartment building behind them.

I'd be annoyed if the neighborhood was having houses demoed for a change in the character of the neighborhood... but they live 4 houses off of Woodward...behind the default commercial center of that region. I think a homeowner on those blocks assumes a certain amount of risk that commercial strip will actually THRIVE and have things like successful restaurants instead of blighted former garages and those successful entities will look to accommodate their patrons.

Does that mean Vinsetta should automatically get the zoning change? no.... but it's not some horrible injustice if they do.
    Last edited by bailey; May-27-14 at 09:03 AM.

Well, I mean what's next? reporting on neighbor disputes over privacy fence height?
    I have friends who live in ritzy areas in the 'burbs, and yep, that about sums it up. That and battles over "Prayer Stations".

Funny thing is I support the homeowners being upset...and I only live half a mile from Vinsetta and have only been there once...partly due to the lack of parking [[plus wait time and not finding the food to be that great)...

LOL; the bros at Vinsetta Garage are not going to take the bus to the restaurant.

I support the neighbors. The restaurant owners knew parking was tight for Woodward restaurant space. The solution isn't to demolish residential neighborhoods, it's to have a more rational parking policy or simply to not accept more patrons.

I do wonder, though, how much money this restaurant is taking in. If they're buying up to four homes in what is one of the nicest streets in Berkley, that could run up to $1 million or more. They must be making huge money to bet on big crowds continuing to show up for their mediocre, ho-hum burger-and-beer menu, that might as well be a TGI Fridays.

God forbid anyone ever have to park on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I don't think you can park on the street. It's illegal for nonresidents on many side-streets in the burbs along Woodward.

When I went there we parked on the street. It was pretty far away because of all the other people doing the same.

From that angle, it should free up the street for residents, so that's one positive there...

A few thoughts come to mind, but this issue is typical of the auto-centric and arcaic mindset that is present in this region.

- They have had parking issues from day 1, something that was known all along and city planners basically ignored
    - There is ample on-street parking on the adjacent side streets, however the neighbors get annoyed at the continous amount of traffic
    - People/customers are lazy and not willing to search for for parking
    - A lot of people could walk or ride a bike there [[maybe they should get a bike rack!)
    - The place is overrated and always has terrible wait-times

They need to work out a deal to share parking with nearby businesses that do not use their parking when the restaurant is busy. Two blocks north at Northpointe medical and the bank there is ample parking. Howeever Northpointe has signs saying they will tow if you park there. Which is rediculous when the medical offices are not open at night and weekends.

Businesses need to work together with adjacent property owners and get on-board with shared/common use parking.

Forest Grill in Birmingham has basically no parking and they just contract out with neighboring parking lots. Why can't Vinsetta do the same?

Or just institute an all-valet system. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Forest Grill in Birmingham has basically no parking and they just contract out with neighboring parking lots. Why can't Vinsetta do the same?
    I'd imagine they went that vastly less expensive and less "controversial" route first and were turned down? Just a guess.

Or just institute an all-valet system. Problem solved.
    How does that solve the issue of where to physically put the cars?

How does that solve the issue of where to physically put the cars?
    True, but I suspect the issue is more one of "patrons don't want to walk from faraway locations" rather than "there is no possible way to park the cars anywhere around the restaurant". It puts the onus on the restaurant.

You have plenty of popular restaurants with tight parking along that stretch of Woodward [[think Red Coat Tavern) and I can't imagine there isn't some solution less radical than leveling a residential block for a parking lot.

Is this the place where Guy Fieri and Kid Rock tasted the macaroni & cheese? How good is it? What’s the recipe?

What happens if the Vinsetta goes the way of most restaurants and folds within a few years? Now you have a huge concrete parking lot and 4 fewer homes. As others have said the owners knew the parking situation sucked coming into this. If they are requesting a variance to the zoning for these lots I can understand why residents are upset, and I don't blame them one bit for fighting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    True, but I suspect the issue is more one of "patrons don't want to walk from faraway locations" rather than "there is no possible way to park the cars anywhere around the restaurant". It puts the onus on the restaurant.
    Well, the onus is on the city not to approve seating capacities that far outstrip the available parking. But again, as noted by others, Vinsetta is sandwhiched between larger places with parking moats out front that will not allow it to use them. Fine. But I get Vinsetta's position that they can't expect or demand their patrons park a 1/4 mile down woodward.

My personal feeling is if they are packing them in now... then what is the problem with parking? If it's a two hour wait to get a table, as many have reported, they CLEARLY people are getting to your business no matter the inconvenient parking.

You have plenty of popular restaurants with tight parking along that stretch of Woodward [[think Red Coat Tavern) and I can't imagine there isn't some solution less radical than leveling a residential block for a parking lot.
    The parking lot behind Red Coat is the result of at least one house on Raverna being torn down... and the residents there have been bitching about parking on Raverna since the 70s. Duggans across the street took out something [[ I don't recall what...might have been a gas station?) ON woodward to expand it's parking.

So yes, i get that parking is both an issue [[it's inconvenient) and not an issue [[they're still packing them in regardless). But I don't see how this is news.

But I don't see how this is news.
    It's about taking note of an increasingly reoccurring trend.

That is ridiculous!!! When one starts, the others will follow. There has got to be somewhere a parking garage could be built.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianaMoon View Post
    That is ridiculous!!! When one starts, the others will follow. There has got to be somewhere a parking garage could be built.
    Or what about having people pay to park? Follow the route of Ferndale and Royal Oak.

I live a block north of the restaurant. The city dropped the ball on this one for sure. They should have enforced the agreement that Vinsetta supposedly has with Charter One. Also it took them months to put up no parking signs along the south side of Eaton and Oxford to ease the flow of traffic.

I hear what the residents are saying but judging by the other parking lots in the area I don't think they'll win. Maybe instead of all 4 houses being torn down maybe just 2-3 could be torn down and vinsetta can keep the last house nxt to the parking lot. Also the houses that they are losing on Oxford probably weren't exactly raising the property levels anyway. Plus with the parking lot it should mean less conjestion on their street.

There was a brand new house built on my street last summer right next to the banks parking lot and it sold for a real nice price just fine. The next three house down from that house that are across from the northpointe lot have also just sold throughout the last year and at a decent price.
    Last edited by adamjab19; May-27-14 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post

Other cities would probably reject. Don't have enough parking? Too bad. Your customers will have to street park. This is the city. There's always the chance the restaurant will move or go out of business in the future and now you have another vacated surface lot.

But again, as noted by others, Vinsetta is sandwhiched between larger places with parking moats out front that will not allow it to use them. Fine. But I get Vinsetta's position that they can't expect or demand their patrons park a 1/4 mile down woodward.
    Because, man, that five-minute walk is a killer.

Because, man, that five-minute walk is a killer.
    apparently it's not...as they have a 2 hour wait for tables. However, the other complaint coming from the neighbors is that they don't want patrons tromping through their neighborhood either because, heaven forfend, they make noise when doing so..

also P.S... I don't recall if there is any public parking, on or off street, anywhere near Vinsetta on woodward...I can't think of any.
    Last edited by bailey; May-27-14 at 12:01 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast