Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State Propaganda Claims Universal Satisfaction with State Policing on Belle Isle

Memorial Day Weekend Detroit Belle Isle visitors happy with job state police, DNR are doing
    It sounds like the oppressive media confirms that which we already know is true. Liberties have been stripped in the name of "safety", and the "pro-family" far-right takeover has begun. Cloaked in the spirit of "strict enforcement" the powers that be have all but eliminated the care-free spirit of the island and replaced it with a suburbanized experience of quiet music and family time.

We don't need to put up with this anymore. I have found and recruited 9 other friends, and we will show our solidarity against the new regime by walking around the island clockwise against traffic, and we will be holding up signs to communicate how angry we are and chanting in unison so that everyone knows that we are well organized.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/05/memorial_day_weekend_detroit_b.html#incart_river_d efault
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; May-26-14 at 07:05 AM.

Expect more of this as the elites and powers that be continue to dictate what you eat, say, endorse, go and believe. And the 'face' of that will not always be right-winged.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-26-14 at 07:02 AM.

Are you selling any advertising space on your placards?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Are you selling any advertising space on your placards?
    Yes. Selling full-poster rear-side. 1 for $29, 2 for $50.

For Lee Free....

Actually I think a New Orlean's style funeral march around the island would be much more effective. Think of the symbolism and the crowd you could gather along the way.

Yes, or a 'Celebrate The Island' walk! The best thing Detroiter's can do is to CONTINUE to go to and enjoy the isle. So much for the stealing-our-jewels and 'take over' per that response. The fee is low for the clean up and refurb benefits long term, and I refuse to stop enjoy the part due to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Actually I think a New Orlean's style funeral march around the island would be much more effective. Think of the symbolism and the crowd you could gather along the way.

I do think it's a shame that local police [[city, state, or otherwise) have nothing better to do other than to harass people at "Hippy Beach" or anyone with a fishing pole that decides to crack open a cold one. But that's Detroit police for you - they love to wag their finger and look authoritative when there are no risks. Meanwhile, drug dealers ply their trade in open air markets on city streets. In other big cities, large parks like Belle Isle are a place where people can relax and be free, and it's great.

The only real policing issue on Belle Isle, I thought, was that one area where people would literally block the road as they sat on the trunks of their parked cars and either a) mean-mugged, or b) talked to a friend idling his car in the center of the street. That was ridiculously anti-social.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    I do think it's a shame that local police [[city, state, or otherwise) have nothing better to do other than to harass people at "Hippy Beach" or anyone with a fishing pole that decides to crack open a cold one. But that's Detroit police for you - they love to wag their finger and look authoritative when there are no risks. Meanwhile, drug dealers ply their trade in open air markets on city streets. In other big cities, large parks like Belle Isle are a place where people can relax and be free, and it's great.

The only real policing issue on Belle Isle, I thought, was that one area where people would literally block the road as they sat on the trunks of their parked cars and either a) mean-mugged, or b) talked to a friend idling his car in the center of the street. That was ridiculously anti-social.
    Yep, and the ONLY thing I avoided in over 30 years of enjoying the island...that is the Friday and Saturday night stuff that kept me away. The rest of the time, in my experience the island has been fine...other than the official and corporate obstructions.

As for Honky going after my comments about the pigmentation of the law enforcement officers...I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, the chance to correct a very stupid staffing decision. Unless, of course, they tried...and couldn't find anyone of color within the ranks of the DNR or State Police willing to be the face of this hostility.

<sigh>

Either way, the problems remain...we'll see how the rest of the warmer months progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    As for Honky going after my comments about the pigmentation of the law enforcement officers...I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, the chance to correct a very stupid staffing decision. Unless, of course, they tried...and couldn't find anyone of color within the ranks of the DNR or State Police willing to be the face of this hostility.
    The state police reflect or should reflect the demographics of the entire state. If you then try to make the Belle Isle enforcement "look like us" for the city residents, you will the confine the minority members of the state police to an organizational "ghetto" working the Detroit area [[and its difficulties for law enforcement) while the non-minority police cruise the highways in the rural part of the state. You have to move around to advance in the profession and if you are limited to the Detroit area because state police there have to "look like us" you are limited in promotions.

The Customs and Immigration Service had this problem with their Hispanic members who found themselves limited to [[what they called) the "taco circuit" where Spanish speakers were needed and out of the mainstream for career advancement.

What liberties are being violated? They are enforcing existing laws. If you think the laws are unjust, campaign for repeal or take the city or state to court.

Bell Isle had real problems with public drunkenness, litter, and speeders. It really did. That was always against the law. Now, the laws are being enforced. Such a tragedy to have a clean, safe park. Oppression by rule of law! Egads! Gadzooks!

There is just no pleasing some people.

The color of police is always entirely irrelevant, of course. The only color that matters is the color the criminals are wearing. Should be orange.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; May-26-14 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The state police reflect or should reflect the demographics of the entire state. If you then try to make the Belle Isle enforcement "look like us" for the city residents, you will the confine the minority members of the state police to an organizational "ghetto" working the Detroit area [[and its difficulties for law enforcement) while the non-minority police cruise the highways in the rural part of the state. You have to move around to advance in the profession and if you are limited to the Detroit area because state police there have to "look like us" you are limited in promotions.

The Customs and Immigration Service had this problem with their Hispanic members who found themselves limited to [[what they called) the "taco circuit" where Spanish speakers were needed and out of the mainstream for career advancement.
    You take all the fun out of this. Can't the complaining left oppress the blacks who do enter MSP but consigning them to a work-ghetto? The right has oppressed too long. Liberate the left to oppress.

okay, ive not been to the island since the DNR/DEQ "took over"...

what are all of the issues facing the citizens of detroit here?

i heard [[read) the issue with a council woman who got stopped for speeding and her whole "do you know who i am?!" comments but whats happening out there ive missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    +1000 points, but your post will be totally lost on the mental midgets in this forum who think that being stopped by a white MSP officer on Belle Isle is akin to suffering under Jim Crow.

the powers that be have all but eliminated the care-free spirit of the island and replaced it with a suburbanized experience of quiet music and family time.

wow, how horrible to enjoy the island with your family, free from blaring stereos. How horrible to make it a place more people will feel safe taking their families

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    wow, how horrible to enjoy the island with your family, free from blaring stereos. How horrible to make it a place more people will feel safe taking their families[/COLOR]
    He was being sarcastic.

This is discrimination against people who break laws and have warrants!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    This is discrimination against people who break laws and have warrants!
    stops signs and red lights are optional thoughout the rest of the City of Detroit, why is it so important it be enforced on Belle Isle? our rights are slowly being eroded.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    stops signs and red lights are optional thoughout the rest of the City of Detroit, why is it so important it be enforced on Belle Isle? our rights are slowly being eroded.....
    Our rights to run stop signs, stop lights, and break other laws are being eroded!

Detroit needs more law enforcement and less crime, but how dare the police start enforcing laws! If the police continue doing this, Detroit might become a safe and lovely place that attracts new residents.

I'll be damned if police protection improves in Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Our rights to run stop signs, stop lights, and break other laws are being eroded!

Detroit needs more law enforcement and less crime, but how dare the police start enforcing laws! If the police continue doing this, Detroit might become a safe and lovely place that attracts new residents.

I'll be damned if police protection improves in Detroit!
    I thought that Goose was -- just as I was -- being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    What liberties are being violated? They are enforcing existing laws. If you think the laws are unjust, campaign for repeal or take the city or state to court.

Bell Isle had real problems with public drunkenness, litter, and speeders. It really did. That was always against the law. Now, the laws are being enforced. Such a tragedy to have a clean, safe park. Oppression by rule of law! Egads! Gadzooks!

There is just no pleasing some people.

The color of police is always entirely irrelevant, of course. The only color that matters is the color the criminals are wearing. Should be orange.
    Will all the feigned lack of understanding please stop? Maybe, just maybe people take offense to selective enforcement.

After all, if the true concern was public drunkenness, litter and speeders, then all the LEO's should be camped out and enforcing the laws around Ford Field and the Joe after all the games. Right...?....?...?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Will all the feigned lack of understanding please stop? Maybe, just maybe people take offense to selective enforcement.

After all, if the true concern was public drunkenness, litter and speeders, then all the LEO's should be camped out and enforcing the laws around Ford Field and the Joe after all the games. Right...?....?...?
    There is NO selective enforcement. Trust me, I don't like the bullsh** public urination and littering around Ford Field or the Joe, either. But those don't fall under the jurisdiction of the MSP and DNR. Would I be in favor of turning it over to MSP? I sure would. Would you?

There's NO selective enforcement on the island. They even pulled over the f-ing Mayor, who even on his best day looks like an average, balding, middle-aged white man from the suburbs. They're enforcing on everyone.

I had a friend at the Phi Beta Sigma alumni bbq over the weekend. [[It's one of the predominantly African-American greek letter organizations for those unfamiliar.) Even he told me that the police were professional, and another alum was interviewed in the mlive article I linked at the beginning said as much as well.

I am against selective enforcement. And if someone brings an example of selective enforcement to my attention, I'll raise holy hell about it to whatever extent I can.

But everything we've heard about so far isn't selective enforcement. It's just plain enforcement.

And if you're arguing that it's selective because it's Belle Isle and not everywhere else...the solution isn't to stop doing it on Belle Isle. It's to start enforcing the laws every else, too.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    And if you're arguing that it's selective because it's Belle Isle and not everywhere else...the solution isn't to stop doing it on Belle Isle. It's to start enforcing the laws every else, too.
    This. So why aren't laws being enforced everywhere else?

Let it be known I have no horse in this race. I'm getting older and rarely go out to BI anymore. Particularly on the weekends/evenings. I prefer not to be around the kids. But how often do we hear of incidents of any significance actually happening out there? Very rarely. But folks like to act like you're taking your life in your hands by crossing McArthur Bridge.

Not sure how the activities on BI are that much different than what has always happened in Detroit. Years and years of the same activity. Hang out with friends. Drink beer. Cruise and clog the strip [[or Woodward, or Gratiot). Talk to girls.

Certainly its better occuring on the island than moving back out to Jefferson, like it was in the 90's. I can recall years where during the summer months you'd be luck to get from BI to the Lodge in less than an hour due to the congestion.

End of the day its a park. Its a place where kids play. A place for friends and families to meet up and unless something changed its free. This is a good place for the police to be making sure everything is legit. If you got problems that could expose you to police stay off the island.

The few times I've been over there since the state takeover, the island has been shockingly clean, well-mowed, and depopulated. Frankly, the island was a disgrace before - the kids' playgrounds, for example, were awash in litter [[including beer bottles) and purple haze, if you get my drift.

HB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast