Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default How many Detroit high schools have swimming pools?

This is depressing. I suspect the general trend of closed-down urban swimming/water-rec amenities [[public and private) hasn't helped, nationwide.

Swimming pools are a much greater danger to black children and teens than they are to other kids, a new government study shows.

Black children ages 5 to 19 drown in swimming pools at a rate more than five times that of white children, the research found. That suggests a lot of blacks are not learning to swim, said the lead author, Dr. Julie Gilchrist of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Swimming is a life-saving skill, not just another sport, she said.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014052...cial-disparity

I bet all the public ones have swimming pools. I know when I went to HS, it was mandatory that we took a semester of swimming class.

A better question is how well are the pools taken care of at these schools?

Does it matter if the school has a pool if it's not safe to swim in?

When I went to Andrew Jackson Intermediate in 1951-1953, we had an excellent pool and other gym facilities. Heck, Antony Wayne Elementary had a better gym than Rochester High School did in the fifties.

Cody High School has Olympic Size Swimming Pool. But no one ever used it for a while.

When I went to Mackenzie back in the 70's, swimming was my first class of the day one semester. Even though I wore a bathing cap, my hair would be wet for the rest of the school day. There was a wall splitting up the pool, girls swam on one side, boys on the other. I think it was retractable.
    Last edited by msamslex; May-25-14 at 03:30 PM.

My dad may have been you're swimming coach.

I find it incredible that any high school has its own swimming pool. That is unheard of where I live.

None of the catholic schools in the City had pools. Of course Jesus walked on water, maybe the nuns and priests figured the kids could too?

We didn't have one at the old Renaissance, maybe because it was formerly Catholic Central. I don't know if the new one has one.

Old Cass Tech had the narrowest and shortest pool in the city, and yet constantly won city swim titles. Both my mother and my sister were city champions swimming out of this pool.

In its dying days:

The later 1980s addition to the old Cass had a bigger pool in it, and now the current Cass Tech has a pretty nice, if somewhat awkwardly shaped, pool in it.

I think a big part of the problem with swimming for Detroit children though has to do less with the number of high school pools and more to do with the closure of so many of the rec center pools and all of the Y pools in Detroit where young children could swim and learn safely. When I was a little kid I learned how to swim at the old Northeast YMCA at Harper and Cadillac and the Hannan YMCA at Jefferson and Garland. You could go there for a very low price, and the majority of kids in both those swim classes were black. Similarly, we used to swim at a few different rec centers around the east side. One I remember particularly was the now closed and demolished Cannon Rec on Cadieux where my uncle used to coach, which had a large beautiful pool.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-27-14 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    I find it incredible that any high school has its own swimming pool. That is unheard of where I live.
    Knowing how to swim is in my opinion a very important part of life. Schooling should teach children how to survive in all of life's situations. Education is much more than the 3 r's. Also, swimming is one of the best ways to utilize all the muscles in your body.