Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Gilbert states the Pistons should be called the Auburn Hills Pistons

After Gilbert said in a radio interview that the Pistons should remove "Detroit" from their name because they play in Auburn Hills, Mich.

ESPN Article

believe14 Guest

...says loudmouth mortgage sleazeball who believes in Detroit SO much he lives in Franklin.

Gilbert is just mad he owns the Cavs.

Quote Originally Posted by believe14 View Post
    ...says loudmouth mortgage sleazeball who believes in Detroit SO much he lives in Franklin.
    ...says loudmouth internet tough guy who doesn't grasp that this argument is about the benefits of operating a sports franchise in Downtown Detroit, not living there.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    ...says loudmouth internet tough guy who doesn't grasp that this argument is about the benefits of operating a sports franchise in Downtown Detroit, not living there.
    You mean because Gilbert is pissed the Pistons aren't further subsidizing his foundering, taxpayer-subsidized, downtown empire?

Gilbert had such an ego he thought his force of will could turn water into wine. Now he realizes he isn't an urban planning messiah, and loudmouth soundbites aren't enough to turn around Detroit.
    Last edited by Bham1982; May-24-14 at 08:13 PM.

Dan Gilbert is right. Why do we called it Detroit Pistons when basketball team is in Auburn Hills? It should be called ' Auburn Hills Pistons, Oakland County Pistons or better yet Michigan Pistons.'

GUSHI Guest

They are part of Metro Detroit, why to we call the zoo, the Detroit Zoo? If he wanted them in Detroit, he should of bought them,

GUSHI Guest

He should buy the Bills and bring them here. We need a 2hd option for a Nfl team,

Gilbert has said many things to embarrass himself and I think this is one of them, who cares if the Pistons don't play in Detroit? They play within the metro area, last I checked Auburn Hills was within the Detroit metro area. His comments about Lebron leaving, the guy is an idiot. It's pretty obvious that the guy knows next to nothing about urban planning too. I don't care that he's bought up property in downtown Detroit and renovated it, he has no business telling another team how to run operations, I hope Gores doesn't move downtown just to make Gilbert mad. And I highly doubt the Detroit label will ever be coming off the Pistons name.

10. Default

Not positive for metropolitan union. 'Them and us' talk is our biggest enemy. From outer space we are one big contiguous city. Time to think and act that way. Even Dan Gilbert.

When The Lions move to the Pontiac Silverdome in 1975. Should we called the Pontiac Lions?

believe14 Guest

I can say for absolute certain nobody in my family would be a season ticket holder if they played in Detroit. Nobody has time to drive to Detroit during the work week, park blocks away, etc. As for no entertainment options nearby, NBA and NHL are cold weather seasons. Nobody is bar hopping in December and January.

And the Palace is pretty much the perfect location for concerts.

I can say for absolute certain nobody in my family would be a season ticket holder if they played in Detroit. Nobody has time to drive to Detroit during the work week, park blocks away, etc. As for no entertainment options nearby, NBA and NHL are cold weather seasons. Nobody is bar hopping in December and January.

NHL and NBA seasons run from Fall to Spring. And as a bar/restaurant operator in the city, I can tell you that people most definitely "bar hop" pre- and post- games all year round, even in the dead of winter. Concerts are not in question here. If the Pistons ever make their way Downtown, The Palace will still exist as a very good concert venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You mean because Gilbert is pissed the Pistons aren't further subsidizing his foundering, taxpayer-subsidized, downtown empire?

Gilbert had such an ego he thought his force of will could turn water into wine. Now he realizes he isn't an urban planning messiah, and loudmouth soundbites aren't enough to turn around Detroit.
    Where is the notion that his downtown efforts are "foundering" coming from? That's right, from uninformed, disconnected naysayers like yourself. It's a pretty black-and-white thing. What did downtown look like 5 years ago and what does it look like now? Most of the credit can be given to one person.

When did this board become 90% uptight, pissy little suburbanites?

He's absolutely right, and he's obviously not an idiot. Auburn Hills isn't even anywhere near Detroit.

Of course when Bham and believe go on vacation they're from Detroit, or when they're rooting for sports teams they're from Detroit, you know, only when it's convenient. It's a joke. Detroit is Detroit. If you're in or from Auburn Hills and calling yourself Detroit you're what's call "a fucking poseur." The Bruins don't play in Newton because they're not the Newton Bruins. What part of "Detroit" don't you understand?

Yeah good point, no bars ever get business because of Red Wings games.

believe14 Guest

Where is the notion that his downtown efforts are "foundering" coming from? That's right, from uninformed, disconnected naysayers like yourself. It's a pretty black-and-white thing. What did downtown look like 5 years ago and what does it look like now? Most of the credit can be given to one person.
    Five years ago I was still going to Wings, Tigers and Lions games. Detroit certainly doesn't FEEL any different to me in 2014. There's certainly a lot of media hype telling me otherwise, but it's still ghost town at night/weekends unless a game is going on. Last I checked they're still giving college grads rental subsidies to sign leases. I've seen fringe neighborhoods in Chicago COMPLETELY transform in 5 years. With all due respect, I think some of you need more travel under your belt if you think the changes in Detroit are that impressive.

Furthermore, I guarantee you his real estate holdings are bleeding him every month. A confident guy making tons of cash developing property isn't taking a jab at the Pistons.
    Last edited by believe14; May-24-14 at 09:20 PM.

believe14 Guest

NHL and NBA seasons run from Fall to Spring. And as a bar/restaurant operator in the city, I can tell you that people most definitely "bar hop" pre- and post- games all year round, even in the dead of winter. Concerts are not in question here. If the Pistons ever make their way Downtown, The Palace will still exist as a very good concert venue.
    People with jobs and people with kids aren't bar hopping. We have to work the next morning. And we're not getting wrecked with kids in the back seat. Auburn hills is a perfect location for us. Now if only they'd become a good team again so ticket prices can rise and the riff raff stop coming to games.

I can't think of one incentive for the Pistons to separate from a building they own. Do you expect them to build another arena downtown? To pay Illitch to use the wings? That's moronic.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    He should buy the Bills and bring them here. We need a 2hd option for a Nfl team,
    I don't know if I can fund another stadium....

Five years ago I was still going to Wings, Tigers and Lions games. Detroit certainly doesn't FEEL any different to me in 2014. There's certainly a lot of media hype telling me otherwise, but it's still ghost town at night/weekends unless a game is going on. Last I checked they're still giving college grads rental subsidies to sign leases. I've seen fringe neighborhoods in Chicago COMPLETELY transform in 5 years. With all due respect, I think some of you need more travel under your belt if you think the changes in Detroit are that impressive.

Furthermore, I guarantee you his real estate holdings are bleeding him every month. A confident guy making tons of cash developing property isn't taking a jab at the Pistons.
    If it doesn't feel any different to you, come hang with me for one day and you'll see a real difference before lunchtime. The problem is you've NEVER spent enough time down here to know, understand, or appreciate anything tangible about Detroit. Going to sporting events isn't going to help you grasp a thing. And with all due respect, I just moved back here after living in Chicago for 5 years, so if anyone has some perspective on your "argument" it's me. What fringe neighborhoods COMPLETELY transformed in 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    If you're in or from Auburn Hills and calling yourself Detroit you're what's call "a fucking poseur." The Bruins don't play in Newton because they're not the Newton Bruins. What part of "Detroit" don't you understand?
    Translation: I had no idea that municipal boundaries are arbitrary, so I'll just spew some ignorant nonsense, forgetting the fact that tons of sports teams don't play within central city boundaries, including five of the six most valuable sports franchises on the planet [[Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Washington Redskins, San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets).

But keep the suburban dollars coming. It's "all one region" when it comes to $. The fact that Lions/Tigers/Wings crowds are 95% non-Detroit is of no relevance, right?

If it doesn't feel any different to you, come hang with me for one day and you'll see a real difference before lunchtime.
    I was downtown two Fridays ago, for a lunch meeting, and it doesn't seem any busier than at any point in my lifetime. Nights are somewhat busier, because there are more special events, but downtown is pretty dead on weekday business hours.

Where is the notion that his downtown efforts are "foundering" coming from?
    Seems pretty obvious to me. It's been nearly 10 years now since Gilbert made his announcement and all his billions have done little. He has yet to attract one retailer of note. Woodward looks basically the same.

That's right, from uninformed, disconnected naysayers like yourself. It's a pretty black-and-white thing. What did downtown look like 5 years ago and what does it look like now? Most of the credit can be given to one person.
    Downtown looks about the same as 5 years ago, even as the economy has rebounded. I guess we have Gilbert to thank for the stagnant situation? Maybe throw him even more subsidies, and he'll finally attract something other than a bar.

Translation: I had no idea that municipal boundaries are arbitrary, so I'll just spew some ignorant nonsense, forgetting the fact that tons of sports teams don't play within central city boundaries, including five of the six most valuable sports franchises on the planet [[Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Washington Redskins, San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets).

But keep the suburban dollars coming. It's "all one region" when it comes to $. The fact that Lions/Tigers/Wings crowds are 95% non-Detroit is of no relevance, right?
    You almost lost me at the part about municipal boundaries being arbitrary. But moving on, it's true that you never let the facts [[or hyperbole) get in the way of one of your "arguments". I've never seen another poster make things up like you do, even if they have nothing to do with your core argument. Five of the six most valuable sports franchises on the planet? What list are you looking at?

I was downtown two Fridays ago, for a lunch meeting, and it doesn't seem any busier than at any point in my lifetime.
    It all makes sense now. You actually are six years old.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast