Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default "Overly Aggressive Policing" now widespread in Detroit...?

State police aren't playing around when it comes to illegal partying on Belle Isle. They're combating illegal activity by beefing up patrols.

Now, the people who used to come to Belle Isle to get rowdy are headed to other waterfront parks in the city of Detroit.

But the Detroit Police have a clear message: partying will not be tolerated in any parks. Patrols will be high and they'll be enforcing all the rules no matter where you're partying in the city of Detroit.
    Last edited by Vic01; May-24-14 at 05:09 AM.

I'll see it when I believe it.

Raucus partying has no place at public parks. All public parks, I would hope, are aggressively policed by DPD or MSP, where they do their respective patrols. Young women shouldn't have to fear drunken men, and kids shouldn't see bad behavior. Be a drunken ass at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I'll see it when I believe it.
    Well, I believe it, Belle Isle is a Michigan State Park and state controlled. There will be more policing to keep riff-raffs out. So get used to it. Lansing already takeover Detroit from Emergency Manager to the Great Bargain Bailout. In order to create a better Detroit bad stuff must be wipe-out.

This is Mich-ississippian culture folks.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Raucus partying has no place at public parks. All public parks, I would hope, are aggressively policed by DPD or MSP, where they do their respective patrols. Young women shouldn't have to fear drunken men, and kids shouldn't see bad behavior. Be a drunken ass at home.
    Hell of alot of difference between "Raucus partying" and having a beer at a cook out. Just wondering if these same rules will be enforced at the boat races, my guess would be no

Quote Originally Posted by RapBrown View Post
    Hell of alot of difference between "Raucus partying" and having a beer at a cook out. Just wondering if these same rules will be enforced at the boat races, my guess would be no
    There is no alcohol allowed at Belle Isle so having a beer won't be tolerated.

One of the best things I ever did is quit the altered state of consciousness thing.

The road to not being one of the sheared sheeple is paved with this stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    One of the best things I ever did is quit the altered state of consciousness thing.

Maybe your dosage was a bit high. How about a little room for other folks to enjoy a little beer or wine in a public setting w\o the grief. What is the Ayatollah tone that comes through hère sometimes? If you have a problem w liquor, dont auto... Project it onto others, please.

Many people have been complaining that Detroit needs better\more law enforcement.

There are going to be people who complain about it and label it as "over-aggressive". There's also going to be quite a few people that welcome it.

I welcome the additional police presence. Safety and law enforcement is exactly what Detroit needs.

Police don't write laws. Legislators do.

Is public drinking legal in Detroit parks? If you want it to be legal, all you have to do is get the law changed. Washington and Colorado changed dope laws, so don't say it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Maybe your dosage was a bit high. How about a little room for other folks to enjoy a little beer or wine in a public setting w\o the grief. What is the Ayatollah tone that comes through hère sometimes? If you have a problem w liquor, dont auto... Project it onto others, please.
    Exactly. Keep your beer and wine at home. Nobody is stopping you from drinking it in your backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I welcome the additional police presence. Safety and law enforcement is exactly what Detroit needs.
    i think the question is do you want dpd harassing people for drinking in public or do you want dpd to find and catch gang members, carjackers, robbers, scrappers, etc ?

but wesley makes a good point. you want to drink in public you need to change the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Exactly. Keep your beer and wine at home. Nobody is stopping you from drinking it in your backyard.
    Puritanical bullshit goes hand in hand with Islamic fundamentalism. It's all about telling folks how to live. When I to a city park similar to Belle Isle here, I often see families barbeque and drink in public, shoot Frisbees, have fun, and go home w/o a fuss. Nothing bothers me more than Ayatollahs.

Canuck there's nothing new under the sun. I think we all know where these posts come from. We have a long disgusting history in Detroit, unfortunately.

"By the 1940s Detroit already had a long history of racial conflict. Race riots had occurred in 1863 and as recently as 1941. By the 1920s the city had become a stronghold of the
    Ku Klux Klan
    , an organization committed to white supremacy."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe...eleanor-riots/
    Last edited by RapBrown; May-25-14 at 07:26 AM.

Yes, rapbrown. It's all about shutting people up, scaring them into submission instead of allowing congress to happen between all people.
    Trusting Detroiters would go a long way in establishing a peaceful and lively city. I would rather sound optimistic bells than Ayatollah whistles. Your naysayers will come back w the age old southern thing in disguise for black and; [[surprise!) white "trashy" culture that frayed the European fabric and spirit of enterprise of old. Imagine if Detroit had had a better integration and opportunities earlier on...
    Last edited by canuck; May-25-14 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i think the question is do you want dpd harassing people for drinking in public or do you want dpd to find and catch gang members, carjackers, robbers, scrappers, etc ?

but wesley makes a good point. you want to drink in public you need to change the law.
    To answer your question in computer geek question, "yes". You present a false dichotomy where our police must choose between one or the other, but can't do both at the same time.

MSP and DPD have done more than just go after drunk in public cases. There have been quite a few joint drug raids involving multiple agencies, including DPD, MSP and even suburban police.

I also agree with Wesley's point. People used to complain about a cop in Warren that would pull people over for rolling through the service drive stop signs. The city of Warren changed several of the stop signs to yield signs.

I've always disagreed with the exaggeration of your argument of, "If there are still murders and robberies going on then we should stop all law enforcement activities for lesser crimes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

My second gun was a Dan Wesson .357

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    My second gun was a Dan Wesson .357
    Make my day rb336.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I've always disagreed with the exaggeration of your argument of, "If there are still murders and robberies going on then we should stop all law enforcement activities for lesser crimes..."
    i didnt mean that , but i see i fell into it.

i mean priorities. police cant be everywhere at once, and when theres 50% or less murders being solved, well i know where i would want my police resources being used. thats just me. maybe we should vote on it?

i thought it was common sense. how many police are on park duty?
    maybe adult day care at the park is a wise use of police resources in detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i didnt mean that , but i see i fell into it.
    I know you didn't mean that, I made an exaggeration of your argument, and then debated the exaggeration, which is probably something I shouldn't have done.

I guess my point is that it's not like DPD and MSP have stopped attacking more serious crime. They've got resources working on both.

Also, keep in mind that people are upset that the same folks that are misbehaving at parks are found to have warrants, and then are subsequently arrested for those warrants. It's not like these people are being hauled off to jail for speeding on Belle Isle, they're being hauled off to jail for having warrants in many cases.

The same very people that can't control themselves at a park are the kind of people that are currently fleeing justice. Cleaning up the parks of the riff-raff is making the city cleaner.

Riff-raff doesn't mean "black people". It means people causing trouble at parks that just happen to have warrants, regardless of color.

saw the statistics on the news. think it was something like 40 felonies and 400 pulled over?

arguing that "cleaning up" 9 out of 10 people to keep out the 1 out of 10 riff-raff is ok.
    my numbers arent right as its only a minority of people speeding or drinking in the park.
    probably more like pull over 15% of the park goers to get the .1% of riffraff.

fighting for 15%? i'm in the wrong.

i know the police patrol the other parks and issue tickets for speeding, i've seen many people pulled over in metroparks and on hines dr. i guess a lot of people just take speeding for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Puritanical bullshit goes hand in hand with Islamic fundamentalism. It's all about telling folks how to live. When I to a city park similar to Belle Isle here, I often see families barbeque and drink in public, shoot Frisbees, have fun, and go home w/o a fuss. Nothing bothers me more than Ayatollahs.
    Most city parks in Michigan have signs that prohibit alcohol. People that bring alcohol to the park, tend to be the bottom of society. People with some form of income usually will have events in their backyard, at their condo clubhouse etc... Its better those people stay home then come to the park with their cooler of beer. They are just riff raff.

Typical thoughts on this issue here. We want safe parks. We want no crime and safety. We want to micromanage how the police do their job. Its good to strive for all of the above, but the challenge is in balancing rights and responsibilities.

This much like the debate of Stop & Frisk. Police work to rid the streets of criminals. A few horrible accidents in performing their duties. A lot less horrible crimes as a result. Is it a good decision or bad? Some here have zero tolerance for any police interventions -- but yet they expect police to get results. Wishful thinking. Its very hard to get both done perfectly. We have to strive for balance.

Are park police being balanced in their enforcement? I don't really know. Haven't been to BI lately. I simply caution against the over-reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Are park police being balanced in their enforcement? I don't really know. Haven't been to BI lately. I simply caution against the over-reaction.
    I don't get into the "puritan" vs "riff raff" debate. I lean towards the follow the rules or don't whine about paying the price motto. Is it possible to have a beer or two without acting like an ass? certainly, at the same time if you cross the line and act an ass don't blame the cops for doing their job. Just to point out... the original story/post was about all city parks not just Belle Isle.

GUSHI Guest

There are reasons that rules are in place, do i break'm? , sometimes I like to drink at the park/beach, if I get caught , i will pay the fine, and move on. Do the crime and get caught, pay the fine and move on. If you get caught and they find out you have outstanding warrant, you were on borrowed time,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast