Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

1. Default Let Summer Begin - Detroit Electronic Music Festival aka Movement Kicks It Off

Summer in the D is arriving. We earned this warm weather after the worst winter in memory. It promises to be near perfect for downtown's summer kick-off event, the three day Movement Detroit Electronic Music Festival [setting up in Hart Plaza below] followed by next week's Detroit Grand Prix. Enjoy summer. It's finally arriving.

Saturday Night. Hart Plaza packed.

Saturday PM Update

Calm before the storm. Hart Plaza on the eve of Movement 2014.

Too hectic, too young? Try chilling at the beach on Campus Martius.

Which Summer in Detroit events will you be enjoying this year?

Great pics Lowell ! I'll try to do both , but only one day of movement .
    I like the beach it's more my speed .
    Thanks for posting the pics they look great !

I was at the movement yesterday. I had never been before because electronic is not my favorite music style. We really had a lot of fun, good food, a few drinks, met all kinds of friendly kids. Amazing how far the distances many of the patrons came from to attend the festival. It really gave me a shot in the arm of how much more accepting young people are of different races, gay, lesbian, inter racial couples, etc. Far more inspiring for the future than the peeps on this board. Nothing personal.

I went on Sunday, both day and night. Great production and management. Hung out with many friends that came over from France, Germany, Holland, Australia, and Japan.

I also noticed how some of my local friends [[bartenders) have this antifestival mentality to the point that they have to mention no techno at their local watering holes. Ignorance is bliss for some. Oh well.

This year featured the highest concentration of local artists that has not been the case for a while. Paxahau continues to do a great job in the management of this festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    I also noticed how some of my local friends [[bartenders) have this antifestival mentality to the point that they have to mention no techno at their local watering holes. Ignorance is bliss for some. Oh well.
    Maybe they're tired of people coming in, using their facilities, and leaving them a big "See Ya".

And that doesn't happen when people come in for professional sports? Right.

And that doesn't happen when people come in for professional sports? Right.

Now seriously, where did I post "that doesn't happen when people come in for professional sports"? So why even add THAT B/S to the mix? It happens with every major event. I know people the own and work @ bars and restaurants, and it's a constant battle. You're hustling food and drinks, and somebody walks out of the restroom and pukes their guts out in the middle of the floor, or worse. No B/S.

Agreed, I thought you were speaking of the event in the title of this thread. My apologies.

Agreed, I thought you were speaking of the event in the title of this thread. My apologies.

Mine as well. I'm not a huge sports fan, but I do welcome all people to come to Detroit and have a good time. Some, though, seem that feel it means they can do WHATEVER they feel like and disrespect those that live and work here. I used to attend the Techno Fest and have no issues with the people that attend. Most ARE better behaved than sports fans.