Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Living In Detroit and the Surronding Areas

This has been done before.

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to move to Detroit, or the one of the suburbs, or the Downriver area or in the Ferndale/Royal Oak area. What are the pros and cons?

A buddy of mine who lives in Warren was telling me I would like living up there. Thats why I started this thread.

It might help to let people know where you live now or is it possible to deduce that from your name?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It might help to let people know where you live now or is it possible to deduce that from your name?
    Disney World?

McDonald's?

Mackinaw City?
    Huge question. Tell a little about yourself.

Ok thats fair enough. I live in Kalamazoo so I am about 2 hours away from the Detroit/Wayne/Oakland county area.

Now what would be some of the pros and cons of me moving to that area?

What type of neighborhood are you looking for? Are you planning on renting or buying? How much are you willing to spend on housing? Do you prefer a more urban or suburban setting? Do you have plans for a job? Do you prefer to live where you'll have recreational opportunities, or do you prefer a lively nightlife?

If you pick Downriver, you'll have a lot less traffic to contend with than in the northern suburbs. You also have the Detroit river/lakefront with parks such as Bishop Park in Wyandotte, Elizabeth Park in Trenton, and Lake Erie Metro Park in Gibraltar.

Some of the negatives include having white trash in Royal Oak thinking you're white trash for living Downriver. [[assuming you're white...) Also, the only major expressway is I-75 and that's pretty far inland through much of Downriver, so most of your "north-south" trips will be along Jefferson, Fort, and Dix. There's not much high-end retail in the area, so if you're looking to shop at Nordstrom, you'll have to settle for Macy's.

If you're looking for a more traditional urban setting you can choose Wyandotte. The downtown is relatively large. It's somewhat comparable to Royal Oak, except you won't see so much of the "skinny-jeans" crowd. The Eureka Rd corridor between Fort St. and Telegraph Rd is a huge shopping area, and because of this Eureka Rd is probably the only road where traffic can get out of hand.

The northern portion of Downriver [[everything more or less north of Southfield) is somewhat older. Many neighborhoods date from the 1910's to the 1940's. I wouldn't necessarily recommend River Rouge, Ecorse, or Melvindale unless you're looking for a cheap starter home with close access to Downtown or Dearborn. The northern half of Lincoln Park is somewhat similar.

The central portion of Downriver [[everything between Pennsylvania and Southfield) is a bit more middle-class, with much of the development occuring between the 40's and the 60's. The schools are much better, especially in Allen Park. Though Taylor [[which is more in-land) gets a lot of flack. [[I wouldn't recommend Taylor, either.)

The southern portion of Downriver [[everything between the Huron River and Pennsylvania) is mostly newer neighborhoods built between the 50's and today. The area tends to be a bit wealthier and the schools are some of the best in the region, especially in Grosse Ile, Trenton, and Riverview. The area is also more rural in nature.

I have a family member on Grosse Ile. Her biggest complaint is the lack of a decent grocery store downriver. If you like Kroger, you'll be fine. And Kroger is not so bad. But in south Oakland County, where I live now, many more options exist. Her second biggest complaint is the plethora of railroad crossings. While it's true that traffic is lighter downriver, in some places there are so many railroad crossings that you'd better allow an extra 15 minutes no matter what time of day you are planning to get somewhere, if you want to guarantee you will be on time. The trains are very long -- not like those Amtrak trains that cut through Royal Oak -- and they are slow. Her third complaint -- which actually probably should take first place -- is the number of deer running loose on the island. Her garden is surrounded by a fortress of mesh and chicken wire to try to keep them at bay.

The southern portion of Downriver is the only area where trains can cause a real hassle, particularly where the track crosses Van Horn, Allen and Fort in Woodhaven and Trenton. Other than that, it's not so bad. There are overpasses/underpasses on most of the major roads [[West, Eureka, Southfield, etc.) When I lived in Trenton, I got stopped by trains all the time. Now that I live in Southgate [[near Dix/Eureka) I can't remember the last time I was stopped by a train...

As far as grocery stores are concerned, there are plenty of Meijer stores in the Downriver area [[Southgate, Woodhaven, Lincoln Park, Allen Park, Taylor). There are also plenty of Kroger. While you won't find any Trader Joe's, you can find small-time grocery stores. One that comes to mind is Concessi's in Riverview. But like I said, you won't find too many of the "high-end" stores. People in Downriver aren't as conceited as they are elsewhere. Most people Downriver aren't looking to pay twice as much for the same product just because it's in a fashionable setting.

And as for the deer, Grosse Ile is a relatively rural community. While any rural area will have deer, most of the more urban areas of Downriver are deer-free.

Mickey, you really do need to post more info about your lifestyle, wants and needs. There is lots to offer around here. Every community has its own history. I am a native Detroiter, but moved around a bit when younger for a variety of reasons. I have lived in Warren, Sterling Heights, Macomb Twsp, Ferndale, Northville and Grosse Pointe Park. I am back now in Detroit since I no longer have school issues. The tri county area has lots to offer, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Ok here goes. Job wise, not looking for factory work but more office work and possibly a gig at a library. I would like to live in a suburban area that is pretty safe and where I can get to places like the grocery store, eating joints etc. pretty easily. Also I do like the nightlife so I would want to live in an area where there are decent bars, and places that offer live music. Speaking of music I need to know all the good record stores where I can get vinyl.
    Also looking to live and be near friendly people. I would live in an apartment, something reasonable and nice.

As far as schools I dont have to worry about that cause its just me. However what about colleges. What are they like???

Hope that info above helps some.

You are headed to Royal Oak or Ferndale. Depending on your income.

Ditto Homer. You want Royal Oak or Ferndale, don't go north of 12 mile because you'll be outta reach of downtown RO by stumbling distance and lose what you're desiring. Not saying they're bad areas, just not what you want. There's a little bit starting to happen in Clawson [[more and more of my urbanist friends are popping up over there at the Black Lotus), but not enough to locate there.

I don't know what kind of college you're looking for. I know a lot of OCC RO campus students who it's all right there for them.

However, downtown Royal Oak is not a huge job center outside of retail or bars and the occasional creative shop, and to be honest your job will probably land in you someplace like Troy or Southfield. All very accessible via auto from Ferndale or Royal Oak.

Ok the Ferndale/Royal Oak area sounds good to me. I've only been there a few times but its really nice up there. Ok sounds good, now that everything else is taken care of that just leaves school. I am a returning student about to graduate from community college and will be headed for the university next. What would be a good university to attend to in that area?

What do you want to study? Some of the options offer specialties in different areas, like Lawrence Tech.

Meant to second Royal Oak and Ferndale. Royal Oak has a great farmer's market walking distance from any area close to downtown.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; July-26-09 at 05:39 PM.

The only problem I've ever had with Royal Oak and Ferndale is the pretense. It's certainly not as bad as Birmingham, but if that's your thing, then it'll be perfect.

You can also try the Dearborn area.

DetroitDad Guest

I agree, check out Royal Oak or Ferndale. Plymouth, Farmington, parts of Livonia, and the Grosse Pointe areas are also nice. I would stick with the suburbs if you are looking for a more suburban type setting.

If you live in the suburbs than you are going to have to deal with lots of driving and traffic, depending on the suburb. The transit outside of the greater Downtown Detroit area is pretty bad, and in some suburbs it is completely absent. However, in the greater Downtown Detroit area you would have to deal with blight and property crime issues if you live in Downtown Detroit outside of the Central Business District.

Taxes and insurance will vary from community to community, but the actual city is generally higher on one if not both. There are nice community colleges and universities in both city and suburbs, as well as nearby Ann Arbor.

not so keen on living downtown anymore, Sean?

I agree with Detroit Dad, If I were looking for something like Micky Mac is. Well the RO/Ferndale deal might be the ticket. Because I do not go out on the town much anymore I myself am not a good source of info on that end. Good luck in your search. And I would say Wayne yet the whole Westside seems like a void still. BUT maybe if your into COUNTRY/WESTERN then ya got Club Canton and the Diamondback

Hudkina covered pretty much anything I'd say concerning Downriver. Just wanted to add that it seems everyone down here has some sort of connection. Not sure if you'll find that in Livonia.

Hubbardfarmer, tell your relatives to check out Trentwood Farms on Goddard/Allen. It's at least a 20-30 minute ride from Grosse Ile, but it's the closest to a Trader Joe's that you'll find Downriver.

Thanks for the tip, NoHeart! I will pass it along.

I suggest Oak Park. You would be right between Royal Oak, Ferndale and not with easily access to 696, so you can get to anyother location within 20 minutes or so.

I would say living in the I-275 corridor would fit your bill. Westland, western part of Livonia, Northville, Farmington, and maybe even Farmington Hills would be to your liking.

Thank you all for the info.

I'm pretty sure Trentwood Farms is owned by the same people who own Trentwood Market in Woodhaven, which is pretty close to the free bridge. It's on West Rd near the Trenton and Woodhaven border. There's also Concessi's in Riverview which isn't that far from the pay bridge. It's at the corner of Sibley Rd and Fort St.