Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Blight Report?

Default Blight Report?

Any one have any information why the citywide building mapping and blight report has not been made public? Seems like the information was supposed be released some time ago.

Who needs a report? The mayor told private partner Pulte to hit the bricks and get gone with mass demolition. The city is going to sell 10 houses a month at auction, scrap 10 more a month AFTER the scrapers are finished with them, then see if they can catch up that way it seems.

As I understand it, one result of the blight survey is this map which shows the buildings that will be demolished using the federal demo funds [["Hardest Hit Funds.") I believe this is the funding which the Detroit Blight Removal Task Force was formed to plan/coordinate the use of, which resulted in the Motor City Mapping project to decide where it actually needs to go [[not to be confused with the Detroit Blight Authority, which was Pulte.)

But I'm entirely on the outside of this, and just piecing it together myself. I am a little surprised there isn't more public-facing output of the blight survey and its raw data -- even a "this is the actual number of blighted properties" press release.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...l_task_fo.html

May 27th is when the report/plan will come out.

Last edited by gvidas; May-27-14 at 06:07 PM.

Soooooo, about 45,000 houses need to be demolished now and another 40,000 or so are questionable.

10% of Detroit housing is a lost cause for sure.

I smell money...

so now what happens with Pulte's operations?

I thought Pulte pulled out and is now working with Oakland County. A bunch of funny business going on.

this new blight thing with dan gilbert said 90k homes and $850mil required. "Detroit will need as much as $850 million just to address neighborhood blight in the next few years. Addressing the larger-scale commercial sites across the city could add an additional $500 million to $1 billion because of their much larger size and their potential for greater environmental issues."

so $1.85 billion for all homes and empty buildings needing to be demo'd.

kevyn orr's plan was $500mil over 5 years for ~112k homes.

where they gonna get that money from? legalize marijuana?
    Last edited by compn; May-28-14 at 09:13 AM.

Recommendation 9-13. The city should identify strategic blight elimination opportunities that will result in future revenue sources, for example through increased property tax revenue, which could be leveraged to mobilize local bond financing.

brilliant plan.

There was a short story on the CBS evening news last night – like 30 seconds – stating 1 in 3 buildings in Detroit needed demolition. I checked cbsnews.com and don’t see where they’ve spun up last night’s broadcast yet.