Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The Quicken data center is already going gangbusters. I guess it was really "shovel-ready" when previously announced.

This Curbed story also points out that the big vacant property across the street is now nicely cleaned up. That seems to be the National Innovation Institute.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...e-progress.php

A nice bit of activity in that area.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-14-14 at 12:38 PM.

Here's a link to a live webcam if anybody is interested.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...795&height=430

Gliberttown expands to Corktown. That will be the headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Here's a link to a live webcam if anybody is interested.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...795&height=430
    A live webcam of data center construction. That's pretty funny. Will they just be laying sod or will we get to watch grass grow too?

I was shocked at the progress myself when I drove by last week. Privite sector investment just has a different pace. Just think we could have spent 2 years having meetings about should it be brick or glass... For the Gilbert haters, how are things progressing at the free press building and David Stott under their not Gilbert new owners? Any contractors? Building cleaning? Anything? Or are they just speculating owners at those properties? Hopefully not again.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    A live webcam of data center construction. That's pretty funny. Will they just be laying sod or will we get to watch grass grow too?
    Looks like there might be some Quicken dYES-ers, the webcam is gone now.

What I saw when it was up was that the steel frame for the two story structure is nearly complete.

I remember when they did the Z parking structure, same story, they built it FAST.

The steel frame is complete. The iron workers "topped out" the structure last Friday, which refers to the placement of the last iron section, which in this case, oddly enough, was a prefabricated central staircase. The entire job is proceeding quickly, efficiently and safely under the direction of Turner Construction and its highly skilled, unionized workforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    The steel frame is complete. The iron workers "topped out" the structure last Friday, which refers to the placement of the last iron section, which in this case, oddly enough, was a prefabricated central staircase. The entire job is proceeding quickly, efficiently and safely under the direction of Turner Construction and its highly skilled, unionized workforce.
    A few drops of capital than add a handful of unions then a individual, company or corporation and voila! The greatest nation the world has ever seen. And I didn't even mention the part where the most powerful leader gets in a helicopter and flys away every 4 or 8 years.

Now the question is, were these workers Detroit residents?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
    The lack of windows is because data centers are built like bunkers. I'll be designed to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado. Well, not necessarily the whole building, but at a minimum the rooms that the servers are located.

In addition to being one of the most heavily air conditioned buildings in the city it will also be one of the most fireproof.
    Thank you. Nothing to do with air conditioning, although that is a factor, but more with security from the elements and ne'er-do-wells.

It's Server Farm 101.

YOU HAVE TO BE LYING!!! Unions are lazy, inefficient, expensive and they have RUINED AMERICA!!!
    /sarcasm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3