Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Americans for Prosperity launches campaign against state aid to Detroit

I haven't been able to see straight since reading this an hour ago:

Americans for Prosperity, the conservative advocacy group supported by the Koch brothers, has launched an effort to torpedo a proposed settlement in the Detroit bankruptcy case, potentially complicating chances for completing the deal just as its prospects seemed to be improving.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...t-detroit-deal

That two billionaires from Wichita have the gall to interfere in Michigan politics is unreal. That their money will punish Republicans who vote in the best interest of their state is beyond unconscionable.

Another wonderful legacy of Citizens United.

Yep. Anyone who feels the need to put their nose in other people's business gets to now. Hopefully our wonderful elected politicians will see past this, but I have a strong feeling they won't be able to pass up free money.

Talk about your carpetbaggers.

We live in interesting times.

if federal dollars were involved in a bailout wouldnt all American tax payers have a right to voice the displeasure in bailing out a city that dug itself into a hole?

Federal dollars are not involved...

Bail Detroit out. Can’t let the crown jewel of democrat governing go down in flames.

The Koch brothers are the greediest scum on the face of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwforever View Post
    Bail Detroit out. Can’t let the crown jewel of democrat governing go down in flames.
    Sure why waste taxpayers money and it has been proven to be futile in the past.

Wait a minute. I got my talking points wrong.

Wasn't New York City saved? Chrysler too?

Not to mention the whole damn financial sector [[and U.S. and world economies) in 2008/9.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post

Not to mention the whole damn financial sector [[and U.S. and world economies) in 2008/9.
    And rural america with every farms bill passed.

We've seen how the Republican-dominated legislature voted against their Republican governor when Matty Maroun spread the money around on the bridge issue. I expect them to do the same when the Koch brothers come to town with buckets of cash to buy their votes on the city bankruptcy.

Default update in Detroit News

big article in the News today...

Americans for Prosperity, the conservative advocacy group supported by the Koch brothers, has launched an effort to torpedo a proposed settlement in the Detroit bankruptcy case, potentially complicating chances for completing the deal just as its prospects seemed to be improving.The organization, formed to fight big government and spending, is contacting 90,000 conservatives in Michigan and encouraging them to rally against a plan to provide $195 million in state money to help settle Detroit pension holders’ claims in the case, a key element of the deal.

The group has threatened to run ads against members of the Republican-controlled Legislature who vote in favor of the appropriation before the state’s August primary. An initial legislative vote may come this week.
    Using public money for Detroit’s case “is very toxic, especially to out-state and Republican, conservative-leaning individuals,” said Scott Hagerstrom, director of the Americans for Prosperity’s chapter in the state. “Even out-state Democrats, why send any more money to Detroit? Certainly other areas of the state have needs.”
    The group’s move is a blow to Republican Gov. Rick Snyder, who proposed the state cash as a final ingredient to bring the 10-month-long bankruptcy case to a conclusion. Some creditors are fighting the “grand bargain,” but it recently drew support from major retiree groups and unions. The bankruptcy court trial on the city’s case will be held this summer.
    “This is a settlement. This not a bailout,” Snyder said. “And I want to be clear about that.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz32IIUrSf3

The group should be renamed "Americans for Koch Brothers Prosperity," since that's the sole purpose for the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

But that was different guys!! There were lots of white people there!

I'm as apolitical as they come. They are so a like it's hard to tell 'em apart.

But it looks like the Snyder bashers here may just look at Snidely with a little less contempt now that the real pricks are coming to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    I'm as apolitical as they come. They are so a like it's hard to tell 'em apart.

But it looks like the Snyder bashers here may just look at Snidely with a little less contempt now that the real pricks are coming to town.
    Yep, Snyder is the closest thing to a bipartisan Govenor we will ever see. I thought it was bad when Matty tried to buy a election on a prop with millions of dollars worth of lies on TV. I guess it's again time to find out whose interest the MI republicans are working for one more time, right wing nut Jobs from Kansas or Michiganders.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    And the oil and gas industry which received hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks and subsidies during the Bush years.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Yep, Snyder is the closest thing to a bipartisan Govenor we will ever see. I thought it was bad when Matty tried to buy a election on a prop with millions of dollars worth of lies on TV. I guess it's again time to find out whose interest the MI republicans are working for one more time, right wing nut Jobs from Kansas or Michiganders.
    Watch out for them Michiganders too.

Detroit ain't the center of the universe. There a a number of cities in Michigan that could use that cash as much as Detroit.

Saginaw, Flint, Benton Harbor, Hamtramck, Highland park to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Watch out for them Michiganders too.

Detroit ain't the center of the universe. There a a number of cities in Michigan that could use that cash as much as Detroit.

Saginaw, Flint, Benton Harbor, Hamtramck, Highland park to name a few.
    Do you think those cities stand a chance in hell if Detroit gets kicked in the hole and buried? I highly doubt it, the precedent will be set on how to bury the body when everyone is looking so guess what happens when no one is looking?

And in the case of NYC, onerous financial controls were put in place. Democracy was 'suspended'. And today, NYC's in such great shape that it can probably survive DiBlasio's ramping back up of the welfare machine [[unfortunately to the detriment of the recipients).

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Do you think those cities stand a chance in hell if Detroit gets kicked in the hole and buried? I highly doubt it, the precedent will be set on how to bury the body when everyone is looking so guess what happens when no one is looking?
    Politics makes strange bedfellows, indeed.

The precedent has already been set, it's a version of, kick 'em when they're up and kick 'em when they're down.

a majority of michigan residents want to help out detroit.
    they didnt want the EFM [[remember the ballot vote? anyone?).

i appreciate all the non-michigan opinions on what our state should do with detroit, but we've already made up our minds.

maybe instead of advertising campaigns and fundraisers for political wanks and letters to the editors, maybe americans for prosperity could spend its money on actually helping americans to prosper. maybe build a house for humanity with jimmy carter.

this group will likely be successful in their efforts, and get endorsed by various media pundits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    a majority of michigan residents want to help out detroit.
    they didnt want the EFM [[remember the ballot vote? anyone?).

i appreciate all the non-michigan opinions on what our state should do with detroit, but we've already made up our minds.

maybe instead of advertising campaigns and fundraisers for political wanks and letters to the editors, maybe americans for prosperity could spend its money on actually helping americans to prosper. maybe build a house for humanity with jimmy carter.
    There is as much chance of Americans for Koch Brothers Prosperity doing that as there is my making a donation to them.

yeah sure, they're really about looking out for the pensioners

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/ri...l-264606787582

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    yeah sure, they're really about looking out for the pensioners

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/ri...l-264606787582
    The guy being interviewed was an obnoxious right wing queen.

Didn't anyone notice the coincidence of the Koch's meddling with this little bit of news? Seems the state doesn't want the Koch's coke.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014052...se-river-rouge
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-24-14 at 09:42 PM.