Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where will people [[not taking M-1) park at the Arena and Comerica?

Okay, M-1 is supposed to break ground this summer. Arena presumably the same time frame.

All of the surface parking along Woodward/Fisher toward Temple will be gone.

Ilitch promises to build a 500 vehicle garage [[mostly for the team and VIP's???). [[I'd guess say Park and the Fisher).

What about more garages to serve both Comerica and the new arena?

How about next to the Town Pump? Or maybe close to Comerica [[E. Montcalm and John R)? Both are surface lots but is that enough? Need more capacity?

Do we need 1,000 more good parking spaces?

What are you talking about? What does trolley construction have to do with Comerica parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What are you talking about? What does trolley construction have to do with Comerica parking?
    Nothing.

But then again I sometimes say, "it is a great day to be alive."

What does 'great day' have to do with "be alive"? Would I not want to be alive if it wasn't a great day? Say if the wind child was minus 15 degrees? Or 20" of snow forecast?

I strung together two thoughts: M-1 rail construction and arena construction with the topic of parking. It was more literary than anything else. Just a way to introduce the subject at hand.

Isn't the Ilitch Parkingplex something like 40 blocks? And the arena will take what, two of those blocks?

That's the problem with Detroit. There's just never anywhere to park.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Isn't the Ilitch Parkingplex something like 40 blocks? And the arena will take what, two of those blocks?

That's the problem with Detroit. There's just never anywhere to park.

Detroit isn't Washington, D.C. where most folks going to a Nationals or Wizards game take the subway.

Whenever there will be 20K [[Wings), 40K [[Tigers) or 65K [[Lions) there needs to be reasonably close parking.

As far as I'm concerned the new arena will eat up 1 - 2K reasonably close in parking spaces to Comerica.

I'm not sure folks want to walk more than say six blocks for an event especially at night.

What I'm talking about is taking surface parking and replace some of it with parking garages, not the best looking buildings in the world, but necessary to get folks close to their venues, esp at night, inclement weather, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Detroit isn't Washington, D.C. where most folks going to a Nationals or Wizards game take the subway.

Whenever there will be 20K [[Wings), 40K [[Tigers) or 65K [[Lions) there needs to be reasonably close parking.

As far as I'm concerned the new arena will eat up 1 - 2K reasonably close in parking spaces to Comerica.

I'm not sure folks want to walk more than say six blocks for an event especially at night.

What I'm talking about is taking surface parking and replace some of it with parking garages, not the best looking buildings in the world, but necessary to get folks close to their venues, esp at night, inclement weather, etc.
    There will be a 100,000 space garage right at the front door of the arena. Problem solved.

There will be a 100,000 space garage right at the front door of the arena. Problem solved.
    Can you post the environmental assessment or traffic study for this behemoth?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Can you post the environmental assessment or traffic study for this behemoth?
    Pshaw. Why start now?

Are you serious? There is so much surface/garage/street parking in Detroit it's not even funny. You could build three new arenas and still have parking leftover. I'm pretty sure the plan is to add several parking garages to the 'district' anyway.

This is indicative of a larger problem in Detroit, where parking is equated with quality of life. We could build Fort Knox downtown, make admission free, and give away gold to anyone who walks through the door. But you would still have people complaining about lack of parking... Too many folks unwilling to take public transit, or take more than a 100ft walk to their destination...

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I'm pretty sure the plan is to add several parking garages to the 'district' anyway.

This is indicative of a larger problem in Detroit, where parking is equated with quality of life. We could build Fort Knox downtown, make admission free, and give away gold to anyone who walks through the door.
    These are all good ideas. But I still think there should be a 100,000 space garage at the front door. Have you ever been to Ann Arbor on a football Saturday? It's disgusting--114,000 people at the same place, and most of them walk BLOCKS [[plural!) to get to-and-from the Stadium. It's an abomination, really.

So let's just nip that problem in the bud, build a garage that's more-than-double the actual size needed. We can have freeway off-ramps that lead directly into it, so people don't actually have to drive on Detroit's city streets. And habitrail tunnels so people can walk right into the Ilitchplex, and not have to worry about the two pesky panhandlers outside.

Hell, I'm sure the DEGC will even pay to construct it, and then hand it over to Ilitch the Parking Lord [[free-and-clear), who will charge $40 a pop and let the damned thing fall apart.

Once that's done, Detroit might finally have enough parking where people will feel safe coming downtown.

I've always found parking at Detroit events a confusing nightmare sort of like ordering pizza toppings nowadays - far too many choices.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I've always found parking at Detroit events a confusing nightmare sort of like ordering pizza toppings nowadays - far too many choices.
    Let me ask my question this way:

Are there problems with parking for a crowd of 65K at Ford Field? How far do folks need to walk?

Those dirt lots north of the freeway really aren't that close. Only idiots park there. There is more than enough and much better parking south of the stadium. I've been parking at the Z lot for games lately. Ten bucks and only a five minute walk.

New Arena District will have a Parking Garage at Montcalm/Clifford with a Pedestrian Bridge built over I-75 at Park. Garage will serve both Comerica/Fox/Hockey Arena events. Well played Olympia Development.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    New Arena District will have a Parking Garage at Montcalm/Clifford with a Pedestrian Bridge built over I-75 at Park. Garage will serve both Comerica/Fox/Hockey Arena events. Well played Olympia Development.
    I'm not sure if I'm thick or thin skinned, but I think my skin is thick enough to survive on these boards. Some times folks get arrows shot at themselves yet prove prophetic.

It seems that one of my earlier posts was [[and I'm quoting myself):

"Ilitch promises to build a 500 vehicle garage [[mostly for the team and VIP's???). [[I'd guess say Park and the Fisher).

How about next to the Town Pump? Or maybe close to Comerica [[E. Montcalm and John R)? Both are surface lots but is that enough? Need more capacity?

I know folks hate parking garages, but putting one behind the Town Pump is an absolute no brainer. During summer it is a pleasant walk from Comerica. And very close to the new arena.

Who wants to walk 10 - 15 minutes in the dark of night with wind chills below zero after a Wings hockey game?

I'd like to see a parking garage\first floor retail on Woodward in front of Comerica. It could serve Fox, Comerica, Red Wings, Grand Circus, etc...

It would help restore streetwall and could have restaurants and such on Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm thick or thin skinned, but I think my skin is thick enough to survive on these boards. Some times folks get arrows shot at themselves yet prove prophetic.

It seems that one of my earlier posts was [[and I'm quoting myself):

"Ilitch promises to build a 500 vehicle garage [[mostly for the team and VIP's???). [[I'd guess say Park and the Fisher).

I know folks hate parking garages, but putting one behind the Town Pump is an absolute no brainer. During summer it is a pleasant walk from Comerica. And very close to the new arena.

Who wants to walk 10 - 15 minutes in the dark of night with wind chills below zero after a Wings hockey game?

That's why Detroit needs more habitrail tubes all over the place. There's no good reason to ever go outside when you can walk directly from the parking garage to your destination. Why risk encountering a panhandler on a chilly night?

Must design everything for the most extreme conditions imaginable. We wouldn't want anybody's tootsies to get cold.

That's why Detroit needs more habitrail tubes all over the place. There's no good reason to ever go outside when you can walk directly from the parking garage to your destination. Why risk encountering a panhandler on a chilly night?

Must design everything for the most extreme conditions imaginable. We wouldn't want anybody's tootsies to get cold.
    Last time I checked hockey is a winter sport, played, mostly at night.

I used [[past tense) to park at Woodward and Sproat when I'm in town for Tigers' games. [I'm already mentally prepared to lose my parking spot. Lol.]

The difference between a typical Tigers game and Wings game is about 60 - 70 degrees wind chill.

You must not be a fan of William H Whyte or Jim Kunstler
    http://articles.courant.com/2004-04-...ks-main-street

EMU Steve you are probably correct, the promised garage presumably connected to the Arena [[for VIPs/Players/Suite Season Ticket Holder) similar to what Comerica Park has on the North Side of Montcalm and connected to the stadium. Not sure I agree with the location [[I'm thinking on the north side of the arena development)

In addition the No-Brainer of garage behind the Town - Pump. Anybody should see this coming.

Do most people that visit Detroit for only 2-3 times a year for an event feel more comfortable parking in a garage versus dirt lot with temporary lights?

Have you ever noticed on event days that the Greektown Exit on 375 is backed up for a mile, because mapquest states to get off that exit. Go a 1/10 mile further and no one is getting off that exit. Same happens on the 75 service drive near Hockeytown.

Name:  parking_sm.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  68.7 KB

Olympia Development Owned Parking Lots for Reference

Thanks, excellent information.

One thing I noticed, and I'm not surprised, is that the days of $10 parking is quickly becoming a thing of the past as, honest, the supply of surface parking spaces is somewhat reduced for the arena.

For those who are not Comerica Park patrons, there was $10 parking for those willing to walk from Woodward and Sproat/Temple to Comerica.

And quite frankly, as you [[and I) indicated, the location you mention is ideal for parking.

If private developer want to develop office buildings, apartments, etc. best not to put them against a freeway [[Fisher).

P.S. I usually parked in the $10 lots on Woodward. Why pay $20 when I like to walk. I NEVER pay $20 - 30 for a parking space a block from a venue just to save myself a 10 minute walk. [[p.s. II - I'm a former 25 year marathon runner. I'm not afraid to see pavement under my feet).
    Last edited by emu steve; May-21-14 at 09:57 AM.

Interesting the 'Nexus' designation. That location isn't part of the arena foot print. It will probably be the last to be developed. I assume a parking garage for VIPs, suite holders, players, Red Wings' staff, etc. hopefully a well designed, visually attractive building [[same façade) with street level shopping.

Have you ever noticed on event days that the Greektown Exit on 375 is backed up for a mile, because mapquest states to get off that exit. Go a 1/10 mile further and no one is getting off that exit. Same happens on the 75 service drive near Hockeytown.
    GPS is indeed leading to the dumbing of America.

The Wings certainly drew pretty well at Joe Louis with very little nearby parking. Folks really didn't seem to mind all that much walking from the other side of the freeway/Cobo or taking the People Mover over there, and it meant more business for places in the southwest part of downtown [[Anchor Bar anyone?).

Also, I don't know if you realize this, but for all games downtown involving each of the 3 teams there are shuttle buses from several local watering holes that bring a lot of the fans in. I have often taken one of these when going to Lions games [[or just parked in Lafayette Park for free).

I think it would be much better for bars, restaurants, etc. downtown and in midtown if the parking wasn't all piled up right next to the arena & stadiums and people had to walk a block or two. I would like to see many fewer surface lots though, and perhaps that will come to pass as the land gains in value. That huge dusty gravel field north of the Fisher [[75) around where they will be building the arena is particularly horrible.

As for the cold, c'mon... it's Michigan - it's going to be cold in the winter. I think we all own enough of a winter coat and some gloves for a few block walk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast