Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Houses on eastside marina district

I was wondering if anybody had any information on houses for sale on sand bar lane. It is located east of Jefferson between St. Jean and Lycaste streets. It looks like there have been some new homes built and pretty good sized ones as well [[5,000-6,000 sq. ft). It looks like it is called Morgan Waterfront Estates. Also the location looks like it could be on a canal and from some information I've found, says it is a gated community? Worth it?
    Last edited by boater4life; May-19-14 at 02:34 PM.

Does something known as Marina District actually exist? Never heard the term before.

Worth it? That is a judgement call. It is obviously worth it to enough people as people live there.

Is this the area? https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...76864e35b9c4d2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Does something known as Marina District actually exist? Never heard the term before.

Worth it? That is a judgement call. It is obviously worth it to enough people as people live there.

Is this the area? https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...76864e35b9c4d2
    "Marina District" per se, is a cutesy name for an area where the marinas in Detroit are. Other then the failed, expensive housing project by Edison Marina, no one really lives around there. The closest vantage points to the "Marina District", would be somewhere in "The Villages", [[East, West, Indian) or somewhere in the "Gold Coast". Of course, there's always The Goat Yard.....

https://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&ll=...vb&safe=strict

https://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&ll=...vb&safe=strict

I retract my statement. People do live @ Morgan Waterfront Estates.

Here is an earlier thread from back in 2006 when the development was first going up, including quotes from contemporary news stories.

http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1158620836

It doesn't look to have been fully completed yet. I would guess it got caught in the downdraft from the mortgage collapse and recession. Its on the site where coal was formerly stored for the nearby power plant [[which is now run on natural gas).

Those are canals around the south part of the development, but, curiously, it doesn't appear to have any water or boat access from the individual homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I retract my statement. People do live @ Morgan Waterfront Estates.
    I've always thought this would be the place to find the greatest density of friends and family of Kwhyme, it all happened around that time, right?!

Sure would like to do a search of all property transfers made during that whole time. For sure there are hidden transactions and shady dealings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I've always thought this would be the place to find the greatest density of friends and family of Kwhyme, it all happened around that time, right?!

Sure would like to do a search of all property transfers made during that whole time. For sure there are hidden transactions and shady dealings.
    Rumor was both of these were a Kilpatrick joint. The cluster of over priced "gated community" homes next to the coal piles @ Edison. They were completed, but no takers. Between the Fisher Mansion and the water, land was cleared, but then that project abandoned. I'm not sure about the trailer park, where people were evicted, but nothing was ever done with the land.

Quote Originally Posted by boater4life View Post
    I was wondering if anybody had any information on houses for sale on sand bar lane. It is located east of Jefferson between St. Jean and Lycaste streets. It looks like there have been some new homes built and pretty good sized ones as well [[5,000-6,000 sq. ft). It looks like it is called Morgan Waterfront Estates. Also the location looks like it could be on a canal and from some information I've found, says it is a gated community? Worth it?
    Again, just like my question about "what kind of boat you own", I think you need to be a bit more specific about your likes and dislikes, and what it is you expect out of your purchase.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-20-14 at 12:58 PM.

What is the name or significance of the house in Mariner's Park? It is right next to a canal separating Detroit from Grosse Pointe Park. I do not know if it has been torn down or not, but it is directly on the river across the street from the old store and bait place.

It looks like the financial crisis hit this little development as it did elsewhere. There are five houses currently up for sale, and four of the five sold for under $30,000 within the past few years - presumably after foreclosure. The other home does not show a prior sale, so it may be owned by the original owners. Gated or not, this would not be my choice for location.

If you want to moor your boat behind your house you have to look to Gray Haven. The North and South Lagoons are protected from the Detroit River. Sand Bar's limited number of houses with water access are open to the Detroit River. Your boat would take a beating if you moored it behind any of the houses.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz40 View Post
    What is the name or significance of the house in Mariner's Park? It is right next to a canal separating Detroit from Grosse Pointe Park. I do not know if it has been torn down or not, but it is directly on the river across the street from the old store and bait place.
    That was the old Hock home. At one time there were several residenses in what is now Lake wood east park, two inns, housing Marinras ,boat clubs, bait shop s etc. The Hocks moved when the wife died and grandma came to stay. She worried about the lids and water. For years it was used as a a senior recreation center operated by the city of Detroit. They closed it in a cost cut back and Creekside residents maintained by boarding it etc. After the Phoenix group bought the trailer park. Several specious fires sprang up. The death knell was two fires in one day. No clue if has been torn down. Used to be very involved with creekside regarding our parks. Frankly it just hurts too much to see all the damages. Boy I really could write a book on all the shady dealings. As to Morgan Estates I wouldn't waste my spit on his shadow. The houses are big, poorly built and location sucks. The views are a power plant. Hardly riverfront living.
    Last edited by sumas; May-21-14 at 04:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by wiz40 View Post
    Mr Wiz
    I believe in its final years it was some type of senior citizens home for their activities and what not, I remember fishing in front of the place back in the 70s and 80s and believe the house was still active up until the late 90s and probably torn down in at least the last 8-10 years ago.
    P.S.
    Sumas, thanks for the details...you are a wealth of information and we must have hit sent at the same moment in between coffee sips
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; May-21-14 at 04:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Mr Wiz
    I believe in its final years it was some type of senior citizens home for their activities and what not, I remember fishing in front of the place back in the 70s and 80s and believe the house was still active up until the late 90s and probably torn down in at least the last 8-10 years ago.
    P.S.
    Sumas, thanks for the details...you are a wealth of information and we must have hit sent at the same moment in between coffee sips
    I do laugh eastside, I looked at our post times and see we are both early risers. After many many years I finally make a good cup of coffee. Looked at news on line, posted a bit, then cleaned the kitchen, did laundry, mopped floors, vacuumed, cleaned science projects out of fridge, did more dishes and pots. Working in Eastern Market ruined my sleep in time.

Sometimes I never know how much to post. The Hock home was a private party destination for GP kids, we would go in to clean board up, etc and tons of Grey goose bottles everywhere. They had big signs posted, "don't screw this place up, it's a great place to party". Kids and area residents didn't burn that place. Actually we tried to acquire it several times for area non-profits but our corrupt government was haven nothing to do with that. The view from that home was/is spectacular, Belle, Isle, Peche Isle, Detroit River feeding into Lake Ste Clair.
    Last edited by sumas; May-21-14 at 05:57 PM.

What's with that house still Tyveked, never completed on St Jean, left not to far from Frued street before you get to Jefferson leaving the Marina? Looks like someone ran out of money, badly.

Just saw a posting on facebook for two houses at Grayhaven. One is set to be completed by next month and there are 10 lots left. The two homes for sale are going for around $500K.

http://www.shorepointevillage.com/