Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cooks Crossing Food Truck

A new food truck coming to Detroit.
    http://detroit.eater.com/archives/20...he-streets.php

AWESOME , more white people cooking fusion!

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    And in a truck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And in a truck!!!!

I'm all mixed up. Is it a truck or a Ford Fusion? Which is it?

I don't care what they are cooking so long as they are applying 'safe serve' practices. Like using plastic gloves when handling food and not having the same person handle food, handle money... with out gloves use/ changed between.

do food trucks have much of a presence in Midtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    do food trucks have much of a presence in Midtown?
    The only way they can get the yupsters to eat is from a truck...

8. Default

This reminds me of an upscale version of what we humorously used to dub as 'roach coaches' in my industrial labor days. They would roll into our loading dock area on the edge of company property and unfold, generally setting up between the parking lot and the punch-in clock door.

They would always have plenty of chrome plating on the outside to give the appearance of cleanliness and they may have been. One never saw what was on the inside.

All I remember was that they served the weakest cup of coffee I ever drank and that caused me to stop bothering to even visit them. I never understood why they didn't work on excelling at coffee as that was the gateway drug to trying other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This reminds me of an upscale version of what we humorously used to dub as 'roach coaches' in my industrial labor days. They would roll into our loading dock area on the edge of company property and unfold, generally setting up between the parking lot and the punch-in clock door.

They would always have plenty of chrome plating on the outside to give the appearance of cleanliness and they may have been. One never saw what was on the inside.

All I remember was that they served the weakest cup of coffee I ever drank and that caused me to stop bothering to even visit them. I never understood why they didn't work on excelling at coffee as that was the gateway drug to trying other things.
    I'm glad someone else remembers the "Roach Coach's". You have some good points in your post. Did you ever think of starting a DetroitYES! food truck? No one would buy anything, they'd just stand around and argue about what's on your menu.

Cook's Crossing will be at the Movement Festival this weekend.
    Stop by and try us out.

We have roach coaches her in Florida. They are all white pickups with aluminum sides that lift. They roam around visiting construction sites. If they are building/seriously renovating a home near you, you will hear their horns three times a day. Most of the food is prepared off-site and the truck just keeps it warm. The food is thus handled by the driver only in wrappers.

We also have the larger yuppie food trucks for those who want semi-fast food at outrageous prices. They tend to set up at events and food truck gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    We have roach coaches her in Florida. They are all white pickups with aluminum sides that lift. They roam around visiting construction sites. If they are building/seriously renovating a home near you, you will hear their horns three times a day. Most of the food is prepared off-site and the truck just keeps it warm. The food is thus handled by the driver only in wrappers.

We also have the larger yuppie food trucks for those who want semi-fast food at outrageous prices. They tend to set up at events and food truck gatherings.

Same here, roach coaches are dubbed "cantines" or "canteens in french. They service construction sites and industrial parks and stop near doorways, garage doors and honk their horns to attract customers. Where I work now, someone always screams "cantine" above the noise of machinerie...
    They seem to be built the same as you describe them.

When I worked condtruction in the 70's, smokin' hot ladies started driving Roach Coach's, [[or Cantines, eh?) Almost every job on the site would stop and the guys would come over to buy food. They always sold out. Ahhhhh capitalism....

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    When I worked construction in the 70's, smokin' hot ladies started driving Roach Coach's, [[or Cantines, eh?) Almost every job on the site would stop and the guys would come over to buy food. They always sold out. Ahhhhh capitalism....
    "...smokin' hot ladies started driving Roach Coach's" Ha ha. That's a detail I forgot about. It still didn't make up for the limp coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "...smokin' hot ladies started driving Roach Coach's" Ha ha. That's a detail I forgot about. It still didn't make up for the limp coffee.
    You're right, but I don't think it slowed down sales, with the Daisey Dukes and all.

Good luck with the new venture. I hope to try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by alf View Post
    Cook's Crossing will be at the Movement Festival this weekend.
    Stop by and try us out.

17. Default

Food coach sitings. Three were set up on Cadillac Square today. This one went under 'Stuffed in Detroit'.
    Attachment 23561
    Shimmy Shack
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  39.0 KB
    And Ned's
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  30.1 KB
    All were very tidy not the roach coaches of my day.

Why did you have to bring race into it? Does it matter if a white guy is cooking chinese food or a mexican person making sushi? If it's damn good food, why even bring it up?

You do a ethnic background check on all the cooks you dine with for authenticity??

Just another fad.

Not really. Have you ever ventured outside the state or country you live in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Just another fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Why did you have to bring race into it?
    would it have been better if i used the white people code word 'yuppies'?

Does it matter if a white guy is cooking chinese food or a mexican person making sushi? If it's damn good food, why even bring it up?
    absolutely it doesnt matter. just i've never experienced good ethnic food from non-authentic chefs yet. maybe you could give recommendations of fine dining establishments with said chefs?

You do a ethnic background check on all the cooks you dine with for authenticity??
    no.

i would like to see chefs and waiters actually eat the food they serve. i've had far too many waiters/waitresses say they dont eat the food there. kind of scary.

i've never had appetizing fusion food either. it seems like fusion means 'substitute whatever ingredients i dont have because i cant follow a recipe'.
    "i dont have ground pork for an egg roll, i guess i'll just use bacon and call it a bacon egg roll." - tadaa
    Last edited by compn; May-23-14 at 06:58 AM.

would it have been better if i used the white people code word 'yuppies'?
    Why not just refer to them as people as opposed to categorizing them by race? They work hard, hopefully serve us a good meal and shouldn't be marginalized as such. Why judge them or even label them if you say it doesn't matter?

absolutely it doesnt matter. just i've never experienced good ethnic food from non-authentic chefs yet. maybe you could give recommendations of fine dining establishments with said chefs?
    Mon Jin Lau for Chinese fusion food. Noble Fish where the sushi is sometime made by non-Japanese people. And I'm willing to bet the majority of the good pizza places in town aren't even run by Italian people any more.

Was in Portland OR a few days ago where they have over 600 food carts and trucks, every nationality:
    Attached Images Attached Images