Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Capitol Park rehab

Any news on when rehab is going to begin on Farwell and other buildings in Capitol Park? Seems like this was announced a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Any news on when rehab is going to begin on Farwell and other buildings in Capitol Park? Seems like this was announced a long time ago.
    They haven't quite finished throwing all the elderly out in the street yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yeah that one year they gave them to find a place, and the assistance and such is just the worst. Screw those guys.

No word, but I can say that I actually feel comfortable going around Capitol Park at night now. I remember two years ago when it was lit about as well as an empty field and everyone was shuffling around and looked so sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Plenty of info out there about the projects if you hit up your best friend Google...

The Griswold Building [[1214 Griswold) is under construction as The Albert, tenants will begin moving in next month. The United Way Building [[1212 Griswold) is under construction as offices for the Archdiocese and a collection of apartments. The Bamlet Building [[1265 Griswold) is under construction as the new DIME school of music.

According to people who would know, the Capitol Park Building [[1145 Griswold) will begin construction this summer once Karp has completed The United Way Building. The Farwell Building, also controlled by Karp, will be the last of his projects to begin construction. This could be as early as 4th quarter this year.

Once all of these large projects are online, the smaller buildings will most likely see development.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Yeah that one year they gave them to find a place, and the assistance and such is just the worst. Screw those guys.

No word, but I can say that I actually feel comfortable going around Capitol Park at night now. I remember two years ago when it was lit about as well as an empty field and everyone was shuffling around and looked so sketchy.
    Man up. I've never had a problem walking through Capitol Park, day or night.

I miss the pizza factory.

It is cruel to control your own property, follow the terms of your lease, assist people in moving out [[with no legal obligation to do so; they COULD have literally put them out on the street, but didn't), renovate a dilapidated neighborhood. With f*cker$ like that, who needs urban renewal? Everyone bitches about run down buildings and neighborhoods, until you try to do something about it. Then, you are a bastardly jerkface profit-whoring suburbanite racist SOB, and most likely a Republican. I kicked a puppy today, on my way to pushing the old lady in the wheelchair in front of a bus [[which delayed everyone onboard!).

GUSHI Guest

Everything is else is fine, but why kick the puppy?

That Great Guy Guest

Exactly what is needed is a very small property tax for all of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties to tear down old buildings, clean up parks and fix up places like Capitol Park in the City of Detroit.

Also, we should raise the SMART tax to 3.0 mil with the present write in ballot which is now well known and get all communities in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties to opt in by supporting fine organizations such as the Transportation Riders United

We also can and should change the state constitution to allow County and City Sales taxes

We have the courage and compassion and the will to all dig just a little deeper into our pockets.

Paying extra an $500 to $2000 per year in NEW or increased taxes for things like a NEW COBO Hall to keep the North American Car Show, stadiums and helping pay the pension of retired Detroit workers, more pay for underpaid teachers and protective shields for SMART bus drivers are all what many or most of us want and need.

Thanks in advance for paying for my SMART bus ride next August by Y'all voting YES, YES, YES.

Please support the write in ballot by Googling save the fuel tax
    Last edited by That Great Guy; May-16-14 at 04:33 AM.

Yeah, more taxes will draw people in or stop them from leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    We also can and should change the state constitution to allow County and City Sales taxes
    I strongly prefer sales taxes to property taxes, but I will never vote in favor of one except to replace property taxes, never in addition to them. I won't give politicians of any stripe a new weapon without taking one away.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    General principle. I am a conservative, and we are that mean.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post

Because puppies don't discriminate and love all people. That is very unappealing many segments of society.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Because puppies don't discriminate and love all people. That is very unappealing many segments of society.
    The first question I ask myself when I see someone on the street is, "How can oppress them?"

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    Plenty of info out there about the projects if you hit up your best friend Google...

The Griswold Building [[1214 Griswold) is under construction as The Albert, tenants will begin moving in next month. The United Way Building [[1212 Griswold) is under construction as offices for the Archdiocese and a collection of apartments. The Bamlet Building [[1265 Griswold) is under construction as the new DIME school of music.

According to people who would know, the Capitol Park Building [[1145 Griswold) will begin construction this summer once Karp has completed The United Way Building. The Farwell Building, also controlled by Karp, will be the last of his projects to begin construction. This could be as early as 4th quarter this year.

Once all of these large projects are online, the smaller buildings will most likely see development.
    "Curbed" is covering the Bamlet today. Looks likes a major project. I have always loved the curved corner. And I'm glad to hear that the storefronts seem to be destined for a restoration to a more original look.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-treatment.php

But I think everyone is waiting for something at the Farwell, with its looming presence on the park.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-16-14 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    The first question I ask myself when I see someone on the street is, "How can oppress them?"
    I just KNEW IT!

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-treatment.php

Bamlet building starts major renovation... DIME still scheduled to move in August so it's gonna be a rapid transformation

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post

But I think everyone is waiting for something at the Farwell, with its looming presence on the park.
    Totally agree. I'm glad Karp intends to renovate it, but I wish it wasn't third in line. It's absolutely the key piece in revitalizing Capitol Park.

Bring back Quickee Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Yeah, I could go for a Qwikee.....

GUSHI Guest

I'm sure they are strolling the streets. Just look hard enough.
    Yeah, I could go for a Qwikee.....

Thread lacks pics

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    It is cruel to control your own property, follow the terms of your lease, assist people in moving out [[with no legal obligation to do so; they COULD have literally put them out on the street, but didn't), renovate a dilapidated neighborhood. With f*cker$ like that, who needs urban renewal? Everyone bitches about run down buildings and neighborhoods, until you try to do something about it. Then, you are a bastardly jerkface profit-whoring suburbanite racist SOB, and most likely a Republican. I kicked a puppy today, on my way to pushing the old lady in the wheelchair in front of a bus [[which delayed everyone onboard!).
    Why kick people out of an occupied building downtown when there are dozens of gigantic abandoned buildings right next door? Why not just leave them alone, fix up the other buildings first, and then deal with the old folks home in a measured and appropriate way?

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Why kick people out of an occupied building downtown when there are dozens of gigantic abandoned buildings right next door? Why not just leave them alone, fix up the other buildings first, and then deal with the old folks home in a measured and appropriate way?
    Didn't you watch the video? The Yupsters want to sit on Herringbone floors! You can't do that anywhere else but in that building.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Totally. I just mentioned Qwikee today. A friend from Cleveland mentioned old donut shops of the past. I would like to see them back in town.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast