Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Do You Want to Save $11 and Be Able to Drive on to Belle Isle for FREE?

The Recreation Passport giveaway begins at noon Saturday, May 17, near park shelter No. 9 [[located next to the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle). Representatives of Grand Prix and DNR will distribute the Passports [[normally priced at $11 for Michigan residents) to the owners of the first 1,000 Michigan-registered vehicles that don’t currently have the Recreation Passport. Free Passports will be distributed through 3 p.m. or until 1,000 Passports have been given away.

http://content.govdelivery.com/accou...lletins/b819d3

======

Note that attendance to island is already free for those coming by non-motor vehicle. People who arrive by bus [[when it's operational) will also be able to a come onto Belle Isle without Passport

This sounds like a honeypot.

I'm skeptical.

Them white-faced troopers and resource agents will be hiding in the bushes waiting to ticket the innocents into submission...you can bank on it.

You know Snydely will be...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

I'm skeptical.

Them white-faced troopers and resource agents will be hiding in the bushes waiting to ticket the innocents into submission...you can bank on it.

You skeptical? NO WAY.

By far the most tired act on this board...

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    You skeptical? NO WAY.

I disagree. I nominate Detroitnerd. @ least an Honorable Mention.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I disagree. I nominate Detroitnerd. @ least an Honorable Mention.....
    The freeways destroyed Belle Isle. And white flight disintegrated the family core.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    The freeways destroyed Belle Isle. And white flight disintegrated the family core.
    Nice try. You remind me of the "Summer Blockbusters" that come out in Fall, trying to snatch the nominations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

I'm skeptical.

They will arrest you for being on the island illegally when you come to get the pass. That is why they don't hand em out at Jefferson and the Blvd.

First you have to pass a background check for the FREE pass.

Yes, I second the Detroitnerd for that honorable mention.

Ain't been subjected to the nerds prose long but it didn't take long to figure the schtick out.

But he do have his admirers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    First you have to pass a background check for the FREE pass.

Yes, I second the Detroitnerd for that honorable mention.

Ain't been subjected to the nerds prose long but it didn't take long to figure the schtick out.

But he do have his admirers.
    I admire him. Sometimes he has coffee coming out of my nose, other times, I just smmh.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    You skeptical? NO WAY.

Geez, I WISH it were an act.

My second thought was if these are from Chevrolet, how many of 'em will be recalled later?!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    They will arrest you for being on the island illegally when you come to get the pass. That is why they don't hand em out at Jefferson and the Blvd.
    Either that, or its a clever ploy to lure folks with outstanding warrants onto the Island of Doom.

She's not a island of doom! Lol! Just a island where there will be law enforcement. Rumor has it don't speed, don't do that if your shit isn't straight it's probably just not worth it either way. Drive 20mph, be sneaky have fun! It's just like the high school parking lot, only the dumbest get cought.

you mean drive to bell isle for free for one year. these things arent good forever.

So, did anyone take advantage of this program?! Haven't seen or heard any follow-up yet. I got close, but momentarily inadvertently.

We went to Eastern Market early on Saturday, to avoid the Flower Day crowds [[I developed an allergy to 'em when I lived there, as well as to Lions' Tailgaters)...then we had to drop into my honey's office near Cobo for long enough to have the Sun finally peek out from the clouds. It was funny, just as Craid Fahle finished his interview with Dan Carmody in Eastern Market...announcing the sun shining in the windows of Shed 3, the clouds parted over the river as well, dosing the Jefferson valley with light.

So, just before nine we drove onto the island to enjoy the park...when we got stuck in a que, directed by the longest and densest line of orange barrels I've ever seen collected in one place. It was like the Hotel California, I could tell, so as soon as we saw a gap large enough I bolted back to the mainland.

Probably saved us from the dragnet.

Something was clearly up, lotsa cars driving onto the island, but almost nobody else driving off.

Heh.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; May-18-14 at 12:12 PM.

No reason for me to take advantage of it. I have had my passport for years. It is a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    only the dumbest get cought.
    Now, that's funny!