Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Z lot adds 3 new tenants, Clothing shop, yoga studio, salad bar

Sweet. Gilbert delivers as promised, within about a year. Impressed at that. Patiently waiting for construction announcements across the street at Hudson block, and down the street at Monroe Block [[which I thought might be digging by now).

in semi-related news.. look at these pictures of the build-out punchbowl is bringing.. actually looks really slick..

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 12.02.44 PM.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  38.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Sweet. Gilbert delivers as promised, within about a year. Impressed at that. Patiently waiting for construction announcements across the street at Hudson block, and down the street at Monroe Block [[which I thought might be digging by now).
    Isn't there a store on Woodward and Forest that is similar to Nojo called Bob's Classic Kicks

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Isn't there a store on Woodward and Forest that is similar to Nojo called Bob's Classic Kicks
    Yes, Bob's is doing so well, they decided there's room for another.

Yes, perhaps similar. Now you can get cool kicks downtown.

Speaking of shoes, it is weird that there is nothing like a foot locker downtown. Pretty standard fare for an urban retail center: thinking 14th st. in NYC, Fulton mall in Brooklyn, Market St. in Newark, honestly, like, anywhere. I would THINK that this would be low-hanging fruit for Gilbert and co.'s retail goals on lower Woodward.

Speaking of shoes, it is weird that there is nothing like a foot locker downtown. Pretty standard fare for an urban retail center: thinking 14th st. in NYC, Fulton mall in Brooklyn, Market St. in Newark, honestly, like, anywhere. I would THINK that this would be low-hanging fruit for Gilbert and co.'s retail goals on lower Woodward.
    I feel most major chains still have this perception that downtown is filled with junkies, shoplifters, violent criminals and just all around horrible people. I feel that image has somehow stuck around and that some national retailers are keeping with the "Haha, make money in Detroit? That isn't possible". However, we all know that from Meijer to Home Depot to anyone else, stores located in the city are insanely high volume ventures.

Asked and answered on this forum a few times before. Foot Locker had a store on Woodward in the 90s. It was there for a few years, possibly into the 00s, but I can't remember for sure. Apparently, the market was not there.

However, a quick google search turns up more than a dozen in the city, Highland Park and Hamtramck.

http://www.yellowpages.com/detroit-mi/footlocker
    Last edited by downtownguy; May-15-14 at 01:14 PM.

I had always felt that some type of fitness store should had opened on Broadway to compliment the YMCA. Dunhams or Sport Authority would had done nicely in the area. A store that only sell workout apparel would do good downtown. I could understand supporting local Detroit retail but we need national retail that cater to a wider range of need

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Asked and answered on this forum a few times before. Foot Locker had a store on Woodward in the 90s. It was there for a few years, possibly into the 00s, but I can't remember for sure. Apparently, the market was not there.

However, a quick google search turns up more than a dozen in the city, Highland Park and Hamtramck.

http://www.yellowpages.com/detroit-mi/footlocker
    The market was there, the market changed when the hipsters took over. Hipsters won't spend a lot on athletic shoes unless they can find a $100 pair of canvas Chucks so they can be ironic.

when does punch bowl social open?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I would assume build out would take at least a half year if they are really moving on it. It has taken em 2 years to build out a 7-11 in the Lawyers Building.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Slated for "end of the year." IIRC, November was thrown around in some of the initial releases.

http://punchbowlsocial.com/detroit-p...h-bowl-social/

I had always felt that some type of fitness store should had opened on Broadway to compliment the YMCA. Dunhams or Sport Authority would had done nicely in the area. A store that only sell workout apparel would do good downtown. I could understand supporting local Detroit retail but we need national retail that cater to a wider range of need
    MC Sports or Dunham's would be cool. Large, regional retailers with ties to MI that fills a mostly empty market.

Bob's Classic Kicks is closed. Store is completely empty.

It happened just recently.

So I guess the market won't find out if it can support two high end sneaker stores...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The market was there, the market changed when the hipsters took over. Hipsters won't spend a lot on athletic shoes unless they can find a $100 pair of canvas Chucks so they can be ironic.
    That Foot Locker was kind of a cool store and had a pretty big clothing selection, but yeah, the hipsters also weren't/aren't in the market for polo shirts that hang below the knees.

There is a Footlocker in downtown San Diego located at the toney Horton Plaza, I did buy a pair of sneakers there once. The last time I went in there I didn't buy any shoes; the shoes are very nice – lots of brilliant neon colored shoes in the $150.00 + range, which aren't really my style. Of course there are other types of shoes as well, however I have found a couple of independent shoe stores downtown, the selection is somewhat limited, however I've found some unique styles that I like, and the prices are a whole lot cheaper as well.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    Bob's Classic Kicks is closed. Store is completely empty.

It happened just recently.

So I guess the market won't find out if it can support two high end sneaker stores...
    Great, Gilbert puts another local out of business.

Ii think the market is ripe for a sports store such Dunham or Champs. The only person who would bring those stores downtown/midtown is Magic Johnson and his group. He doesnt only catert the hipster but to every persons. I could see him opening an NBA store downtown.
    Last edited by stasu1213; May-15-14 at 07:09 PM.

There is a rumor going around saying that Gilbert had run out of money so some of his projects are on hold. If that is true and I hope its not, Detroit might as well scrap the lightrail project and quickly repave Woodward,pothole alley, for somrthing simpliar as rapid busses

How a billionaire who hasn't paid all that much for his acquisitions could run out of money is beyond me, especially when he's still in charge of a profitable company. That's a hard to believe rumor.

I'm not sure his projects are stalling....

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-treatment.php

There is a rumor going around saying that Gilbert had run out of money
    Riiiiiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Riiiiiiiiight.
    Just checking to see if it's a rumor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast