Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Auburn Hills Town Center

That's the name of this complex on Joslyn Road near Great Lakes Crossing that presently features nothing but an office or two and a BP station. Do you remember what stores were there and when the last store left? I think a major retailer might've been in that huge building on the south end.

That used to be a K-Mart. No clue what it has been since then, but the K-Mart was out during the first round of closing back probably 2007? 2008? Was vacant for a while, then had what appeared to be a security company maybe? Now is whatever it is.

Google Maps [[rough) address for reference:
    3559 Joslyn Rd, Auburn Hills, Michigan

According to Google Street View that BP was a Speedway in October, 2008. Take one step north or east and it turns back into a BP. Magic!

That's one giant empty parking lot though. It doesn't look like the center of any town as the name would imply.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-13-14 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    According to Google Street View that BP was a Speedway in October, 2008. Take one step north or east and it turns back into a BP. Magic!

That's one giant empty parking lot though. It doesn't look like the center of any town as the name would imply.
    actually, according to street view, it used to be a Sunoco.

Quote Originally Posted by bugs1739 View Post
    actually, according to street view, it used to be a Sunoco.
    Thank you. You are correct.

I first guessed Speedway, verified it was Sunoco before posting, then wrote Speedway by mistake anyway. Doh!
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-13-14 at 09:13 PM.

That was always a subpar Kmart anyway. IIRC, it went down just before or after the Meijer went in. I do think it was a little earlier-- maybe 2003 or 2004.

[Edit: Meijer was in at least by late summer 2003; deadanddyingretail.com says Kmart closed in 2003]
    Last edited by cjd; May-13-14 at 07:43 PM.

GUSHI Guest

Them and Meijer use have gas price wars,

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    [Edit: Meijer was in at least by late summer 2003...]
    Actually, that Meijer was already open by April 2002-it appears in an aerial image from that date, the next-oldest image in Google Earth's old aerial images layer from 1999 shows an empty field instead [[which definitely proves that the area around Great Lakes Crossing was more rural when it first opened).

The other building used to be a grocery store, a Spartan store I think. I dated a girl years ago that worked there. After the K-mart left, it sat vacant for a short time and then was used by Chrysler [[I think) as a place to park their cars. They also took advantage of the garage bays that the former Kmart had. It is now owned by Prefix Corp which does the painting of the Dodge Vipers.