Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I'm planning to move to Detroit but where is good to go?

I m planning to move to Detroit in couple month. I am currently living in San Jose, CA and I have interest for the following places but no idea that where is the best to live.

Does anyone got any idea?

Gilchrist Street
    Braille Street
    Forrer Street
    Glastonbury Street
    Beatrice Street

Your opinon is helpful

2. Default

A lot of those streets are very long, so you would need to cite a major cross street for anyone to advise you. One stretch of the street could vary widely from another a few miles away. For instance, Glastonbury in the heart of Rosedale Park is a far cry from Glastonbury and Davison.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? There are great neighborhoods in both the city and suburbs, but it depends what you're looking for.

aem...I am looking for friendly and safe neighborhoods but since san jose s so different with Detroit such as security, weather or communities.

I am wondering the places that I mentioned are the safe place to live or not.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyunited View Post
    aem...I am looking for friendly and safe neighborhoods but since san jose s so different with Detroit such as security, weather or communities.

If your main priority is safety, the suburbs tend to generally be safer, and you can find urban-style neighborhoods in many of the inner ring suburbs - the nicest ones are Ferndale, Dearborn, the Grosse Pointes, and Royal Oak. That said, there are some pretty safe and very friendly neighborhoods in the city, especially Rosedale Park [[Grand River and Southfield), the University District/Sherwood Forest/Green Acres area [[Livernois and 7 Mile), Woodbridge [[west of M-10 and east of Rosa Parks between I-75 and I-94), Corktown [[immediately west of downtown) and Indian Village/West Village/Gold Coast [[Jefferson near Belle Isle).

It sounds like you want a single family home, so I'm not directing you to the core downtown neighborhoods [[Downtown, Midtown, New Center, Lafayette Park, Eastern Market), because most of the housing there is apartments and condos.

Hi tobyunited. Didn't you post a similar type scenario a few weeks ago? No matter. People here will help you, but it would help the people, if your questions weren't so ambiguous, and you gave a few solid parameters concerning your needs, lifestyle, monetary investment, etc. Other then that we can "what if" all day long.

How did you select those streets?

I thought he was in Hong Kong?

Speculator from the far east toby be.

so you're a speculator from Asia pretending to be from San Jose hoping to scoop up some cheap properties on which to sit and do little or no maintenance or up keep. You deceive us because you think/realize that if we know your true intention nobody would be willing to help or give accurate information? Is that whats going on here Toby from San Jose?

Can this thread be deleted?

Toby introduced himself as an interested party from Hong Kong in the East English Village thread. I called him out as an absentee investor with no real interest in our pretty neighborhood. So now he is posing as whoever from San Jose America intent on moving to random "streets" in Detroit, undoubtedly where he has found properties listed.

Hey, Toby, the Brooklyn Bridge is actually for sale. Send me a check for 10,000 Yuan and it's all yours.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Can this thread be deleted?

Toby introduced himself as an interested party from Hong Kong in the East English Village thread. I called him out as an absentee investor with no real interest in our pretty neighborhood. So now he is posing as whoever from San Jose America intent on moving to random "streets" in Detroit, undoubtedly where he has found properties listed.

Hey, Toby, the Brooklyn Bridge is actually for sale. Send me a check for 10,000 Yuan and it's all yours.
    "I m planing to move to Detroit but where is good to go?"

Tell 'em where to go, Poobert.......

I m planning to move to Detroit in couple month. I am currently living in San Jose, CA and I have interest for the following places but no idea that where is the best to live.

Does anyone got any idea?

Gilchrist Street
    Braille Street
    Forrer Street
    Glastonbury Street
    Beatrice Street

Your opinon is helpful
    When moving to Detroit neighborhood follow these steps:

1. Is the neighnorhood safe?

2. Do I get police response?

3. Are they any good homes?

4. Are the schools around the neighborhood good for my children?

5. Is the neighbors nice?

6. Are they any good mom and pop stores?

I suggest that you log on to projects.nytimes.com/2010/census/map?hp to find our about the demographics and log on to schooldigger.com. You may or may not like what you see.

Over the past 29 years when living on Detroit is see my old hood change from good to worse. So I move away just like millions of white folks and later black middle class folks. However Detroit is redeveloping. I just see two Detroits. A black and blighted ghetto and develop areas for young professionals. Take your pick after you did some research. Don't just move to Detroit, suburb or any city until you look the demographics. Most neighorhoods look pretty and filled with nice homes, businesses and trees, but it can get dirty as you go further.
    Last edited by Danny; May-12-14 at 12:50 PM.

Toby, Alpena is beautiful this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Send me a check for 10,000 Yuan and it's all yours.
    RMB10,000 isn't very much and you can't cash the check or spend it here. You can certainly get more, it's a very nice bridge!

Welcome back, TobyUnited! Thank you for your interest in my hometown.
    I have two basic points to make - one has to do with policing, one has to do
    with a certain subsector of jobs.
    Policing. Detroit, all of it, is underpoliced relative to the suburbs. What might this mean
    for you, the new resident? If you are in a car accident in Detroit the police may show up
    but more likely they won't, even if 911 is called. I had one neighbor who was a cop.
    There was a three vehicle accident that I was slightly involved in at Whitlock and Evergreen.
    After about a half hour of waiting, I went to get my neighbor who was a cop, and indeed I found him, but he was off duty and wouldn't go check out the accident. Not that I blame him [[it's a very stressful job) but that's what you should expect. After another half hour a retired cop passed by [[there is a small chance the first cop let the second one know) and directed the others to go to the police precinct and file a report. Whereas, in a suburb, the police will show up to the scene of an accident of that magnitude [[one injury, at least one vehicle totaled - not mine, thank goodness).
    The Detroit police work off the 911 call list and I understand that at the end of their shifts
    very often there are 911 calls on that shift that haven't been responded to. I don't believe
    that happens often in any Detroit suburb.
    If your bicycle is stolen from in front of your house you may file a report but you will probably
    be told that it is a low priority crime. There will be a bit more interest if you have video
    showing the bicycle being stolen and know who the suspect is. Even so this will still be a
    low priority.

I could go on some more about the crime and the policing but you probably get the
    drift. A bit less crime happens in neighborhoods with a private security patrol and
    having alert neighbors [[vs. investors in faraway countries - but maybe you can put webcams
    on your house and watch them during your day for entertainment) makes a good difference as well. Even so housing seekers, should they be looking at your house as a rental on Craigslist, will consider the area to be "less safe" than others.

Okay...the other point is - check the Biotech/Science category of Craigslist jobs.
    Check it for several major cities in the United States and Canada. Detroit is a very
    backward city in this category, and not just Detroit proper, in the whole Detroit metro
    the pickings are relatively slim.

Toby sounds like one of the many phone messages I get on my cell every week telling me I won a trip somewhere, etc...

If you're an absentee investor, does it matter how safe the streets are? And if you're looking for dirt-cheap investment properties, what are the chances of nabbing them in the best and nicest parts of town? Having said that, I'm aware that property investing in Western cities is popular amongst Asians, especially the Chinese.

Hi all, I was considering for the new jobs in Detroit since the living is getting high in Detroit. That is pitty that I dont have so much money as like people from china.

The information is helpful and I m still consider to rent or buy the properties but really, depending on the prices.

SJ is having nice weather but onces again, I need to look for better opportunity.