Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Highland Park - Detroit boundary

Google Maps shows the northwestern boundary of Highland Park running right through the middle of several properties. How does this work for tax assessments, etc? Is a divided property considered to be in one or the other city for this purpose? Or does the property consist of two parcels with two separate tax assessments?

Do not discount that the map when compared to the photo may be off a bit. There are some issues when flattening a slightly curved surface when working with both aerial photos and geo-coded files.

If this is truely the case, I would doubt there would be two assessments. The county is the primary taxor. There may be a formula used to determine the split between the two cities based on % of land in each and millages.

This actually occurs in a number of suburbs across Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    This actually occurs in a number of suburbs across Metro Detroit.
    The city line goes right through several houses on the west side of Barrington St. south of Jefferson. So even though the houses are addressed in Grosse Pointe Park, the backs of the houses are actually in Detroit. This came in handy during the days of residency requirements for city employees, as many people who lived on Barrington simply claimed to sleep regularly in the back bedrooms of these houses, making them officially Detroit residents. Although I have no idea how their taxes were handled.

Several blocks along the western boundary of Highland Park are bisected by the boundary, and on each there are lots that straddle the two cities. If you look at the lots on Zillow [[zooming in to the point where lot boundaries are shown), you can pick them out.

The block bounded by Buffalo, Caniff, Ellery and Prescott is split diagonally between Detroit and Hamtramck, for instance. I believe the property taxes are pro-rated for split properties.

I have never owned a property like this. I would think it would be best answered by a property owner or a call to someone at the Wayne County Tax treasurer's office.