Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moving to Oak Park. Tips/suggestions for services [[cable, internet, etc)?

Hey all.
    I'm buying my first place next week and for the first time in my 33 years moving out of the city proper. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for getting reasonable rates on basic cable, high speed internet and other various services while I work on spending my moneys on furniture and little repairs.

You may want to check if Verizon FIOS is in the area. It's definitely the best bang for your buck as far as speed for your high speed. I believe they even offer cable.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential.../fiosbundlesab

$120/month for internet, tv and phone. Includes a free netbook [[which are very handing, I own a Dell Mini 9 myself). Speed is amazing 25 down / 15 up Mbps. It may be a little high, but its well worth it if you can swing it. Comcast has promotions time-to-time for $20/month for 6 months, for broadband. Call them and see what they can swing you.

-Tahleel

Looks like Verizon is a no-go in Oak Park but U Verse is... but they upped their introduction rates since I last looked for them here in Corktown. Comcast is also available but they've been nigh evil to me. WOW is a go in Ferndale but not 6 blocks over in Oak Park. Weird.

I don't have any recommendations, Enduro, but out of curiosity, what area of Detroit are you moving out of and why? Good luck in the future.

You going to enjoy living in Oak Park, MI. It's more ethnically diverse than Detroit. It's like living mini Chicago city.

stinkbug Guest

Hey, that you Pants? It's Bill as in Bill and Emily down the street. What up.

I would stay away from UVerse. I'd go with Comcast or WOW Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    I would stay away from UVerse. I'd go with Comcast or WOW Cable.
    Did you have a bad experience with UVerse? I am considering switching and I am looking at them.

To start off Welcome to Oak Park its a nice place to live with great city services.
    U-verse is not in all parts of Oak Park. I just bought a house here about year and half ago and for cable not many option. We have comcast and my strong willed GF was able to extend our cable deal for an additional year and a half. You might be able to find service thru your cell company but ive heard it they can be spotty. We use to have free wireless in oak park but the economy took that away.

PANTS! I knew it was you
    Congrats on the house, you house buyer!

Do you have children? The high school has a lot of problems.

There are three high schools for oak park each one represent approx. 1/3 of the city population.

To answer the questions:

1. I may or may not be Pants. I am certainly Enduro Fontzepontze.

2. I'm moving out of Detroit simply because I could not get the kind of bargain I could in Oak Park. The places I looked [[roughly in order) were Corktown, anything Riverfront extending all the way to the Pointes, Ferndale, Hamtramck, Dearborn and Allen Park. It also doesn't hurt that I'm essentially giving myself a raise. Owing money to the city at the end of the year is always a hoot [[my out of state HR people can't figure out how I owe city taxes for both working and living in the city). I've lived in Warrendale, Capitol Park and Corktown.

3. The high schools are supposedly Ferndale where I'm at but that's irrelevant to me at this time.

The street I found a house on is so quiet [[so much so I almost feel bad moving my loud mouth in) and is very diverse, lots of ethnic eateries and grocers. Now I just have to find a nice dive bar for myself.
    Last edited by Enduro; July-27-09 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Update

Oh, and thanks to everyone for the tips. I looked on the UVerse site and it appears they've upped their prices yet I was talking with a friend at Vivio's on Saturday and he's getting his cell phone, TV and internet from them for less than 90 bucks. Insane, you can't get internet and TV for that cheap on their site.

I talked Comcast into extending my double play [[they don't offer it anymore, I guess they're really pushing the land lines that I have no need for). Maybe I can get them to just transfer since it seems like the best deal right now.

I live not to far away from Oak Park [[Southfield) and I call tell you this... Forget about finding a nice little dive bar, they don't exist in Oak Park or Southfield. If by chance you do find one PLEASE let me know!

That's too bad, Bdglsmn. I'll let you know if I find something. I already told the guy who runs the nearby party store that he'd be wise to start stocking Tullamore Dew.

I've moved to Oak Park in February. My cable is through Dishnetwork [[$55.00 per month). Internet and home phone service through Comast [[combined payment of $50.00 per month and yes its high speed). I LOVE LIVING IN OAK PARK, after living on the West side of Detroit my entire life. Its like a new world!!!!!!!!!

There are absolutely no bars or restaurants that serve alcohol in Oak Park they are a dry city. I did the same thing as you enduro. I looked all over and gave up on the city because the deal we too good in Oak Park. Im in OP school district but doesnt matter for me like you. I tried to buy in OP near ferndale but the closer you get the more they wanted. I ended up near scotia in a nice quiet area with all brick homes. But I ride my bicycle to ferndale if I want to get a drink.

Get someone who is very strongwilled and who never takes no to call comcast. You will like OP if you enjoy quiet. ENDURO did you buy a foreclosure. Plenty of bars in ferndale that you will not miss them in Oak Park.

I did get a bank owned property. I'm not so concerned with quiet as I am with teenagers, specifically punk teens. That's why I didn't want to get anything in Hazel Park, way too many teens with nothing to do hanging around. I do know some of the bars in Ferndale, it's nice having the nightlife so close and besides, it's not like I'm too far from all my favorite downtown Detroit spots. That Woodward light rail is right around the corner, right? heh.

It's great to know that I'll be in good company in Oak Park for a relatively small community there seems to be quite a few forum folks!

I will say this... The food selection is pretty good on Greenfield from 9 mile to 12 mile. Nothing super fancy but you can have deli food, pizza, Middle Eastern, Thai, burgers fish... you name it Oak Parks got it!

Oak park is great. Welcome to the neighborhood! I, too, have moved into OP after living all my life in Detroit. Love the diversity, the quiet streets, the neighborhood feel. I live very close to the Ferndale border on the blvd,...lovely! The services seem to be great,...watch out for the recycle bucket,...it is hard to get used to all the rules of what to put in,..but so glad for the service! I am looking into the Consumers Power versus DTE. It seems like Consumers is cheaper,...any thoughts? It is so nice to finally have a choice in companies! I love Oak Park!

I love all the casual restaurant options... There's so much high end stuff in downtown Detroit that it's not a big issue.

I'd love to know which energy company is a better deal. I didn't even know that there were options.

Thanks again for the well wishes, I'm closing tomorrow!

Realistically if you live in OP why would you need cable? You should be able to get strong signals from all the major networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Did you have a bad experience with UVerse? I am considering switching and I am looking at them.
    I personally have not. I know abuot 5 people that ordered UVerse and only one of them was happy with it.

Make sure you go get a BIG sandiwch at Ernies! It's $5 but it's the best $5 you've ever spent on food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast