Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Detroit River fish taste better, safe to eat says Windsor Star

This is encouraging news and has me curious about Detroit River Fishing. Anybody do that?

With spring's reluctant arrival I notice boat fisherman regularly assemble off Hart Plaza. I wonder if it for the view [that's why I would fish there] or if it is a particularly good spot for some reason.

Friends of the Detroit River took the initiative to survey nearly 300 people who ate Detroit River fish from 2011-12. Robert Burns, Detroit River keeper from Friends of the Detroit River, also utilized existing surveys from both sides of the border.

According to the Detroit River Canadian Cleanup, of those who had eaten fish from the Detroit River, 90 per cent said the taste of the fish from the river was now “good” to “excellent,” while 10 per cent rated the taste as “fair.” Not one reported the taste of fish to be poor.
    Below - Detroit River fisherman anchored in the waters off Hart Plaza in Downtown Detroit with the tug Leonard M and Dieppe Park in Windsor, Ontario as their backdrop.

“Let’s celebrate the way we have reclaimed and are reclaiming the Detroit River to its more natural state,” said Lana Pollack, chair U.S. section, International Joint Commission. “Let’s look forward seven generations and avoid anything that we can. We’re lucky to be living in this place, let’s make it better and better.”

How's the perch fishing on the Detroit side of the island?

It used to be great. We would catch two at a time on spreaders fishing off the swimming piers that used to be by the beach.Then snagging carp at the inlet by the cop yard west of the bridge and catching sheephead on the canadian side. Heavy poles, big sinkers and cow bells. Those were the days my friend. Oh and how did we get there? DSR Bus.

Being on the Island those days was like not having a care in the world.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; May-08-14 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This is encouraging news and has me curious about Detroit River Fishing. Anybody do that?

With spring's reluctant arrival I notice boat fisherman regularly assemble off Hart Plaza. I wonder if it for the view [that's why I would fish there] or if it is a particularly good spot for some reason.

Below - Detroit River fisherman anchored in the waters off Hart Plaza in Downtown Detroit with the tug Leonard M and Dieppe Park in Windsor, Ontario as their backdrop.

Most of those you see in the Detroit River are targeting Walleye [[Especially in the Spring). Huge numbers of Walleye run up from Lake Erie this time of year to spawn and therefore can be targeted with smaller boats and without the need to make the long run out into lake Erie [[It's arguably on of the best Walleye fisheries in the U.S, if not the world). The boats in the photos are most likely targeting Walleye, but I highly doubt they are anchored, more than likely they are using electric motors to control how fast they drift.

As for the taste of the fish that really depends on the species, but the environment also plays a large role. Fish caught in clear and coolers waters with low levels of sediment and species that tend not feed on the bottom are usually considered better table fare. The water in the Detorit River has cleared up substantially, but most of that is due to the proliferation of Zebra and Quagga Mussels. Walleye, Perch, Smallmouth Bass and Silver Bass are the most popular target for boat fisherman in Detroit River. When caught from clean waters all of these fish are considered very good to excellent by most.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-08-14 at 09:18 AM.

What's the justification for saying that the fish is "safe" to eat? Is this based solely on mercury levels?

Also, the "Friends of the Detroit River" survey sounds incredibly unscientific. They surveyed people who already eat Detroit River fish, so already it suffers heavily from selection bias. What about a double-blind randomized taste test?

There's this:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Fi...03_67354_7.pdf

Alas, they use the term "chemical" improperly, as seems to be the norm these days.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    What's the justification for saying that the fish is "safe" to eat? Is this based solely on mercury levels?

Also, the "Friends of the Detroit River" survey sounds incredibly unscientific. They surveyed people who already eat Detroit River fish, so already it suffers heavily from selection bias. What about a double-blind randomized taste test?
    I agree. The whole article sounds fishy to me.

[[C'mon, you knew that was coming......)

i'll believe the fish is safe when someone offers to drink a cup of water out of the river where he/she fishes...

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    i'll believe the fish is safe when someone offers to drink a cup of water out of the river where he/she fishes...

Some of the species run through in schools, [[they don't live there permanently) so they might be Ok to eat.

The water in the Detroit River was in Lake St. Clair an hour ago and in Lake Huron a few weeks before that. It's the sediment where most pollutants are coming from, and unless it's being disrupted there's little contamination in the actual water.

For those that are leery about eating fish out of the Detroit River do you happen to eat any fish or seafood? If you do, chances are good that you're eating fish that are far more contaminated than those coming out of the D. There's also a 30% chance that what you're eating isn't even what the label states and if it's a saltwater species there's a 25% chance that it was harvested illegally! More than 2/3 of fish consumed in the U.S is imported and often farm raised in nations like Vietnam, China and Thailand. Not exactly places known for their clean waters or sustainable fishing practices.

Interesting. It's probably true that there are fewer pollutants [[and radioactivity) in Great Lakes fish, but it's, um, perceptions, you know?

Where do you think DWSD water comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Where do you think DWSD water comes from?
    Bottled water too!

"Pepsi's Aquafina and Coca-Cola's Dasani use city of Detroit water sold in southeast Michigan communities. The companies use extra filtering procedures but the water source is the same -- the Detroit River."

"The best part is this.. Detroit supplies the water to Coke and Pepsi at $.002/gal.. that's right.. I'm talking about a penny for 5 gallons of water.

And they sell it at $4/gal [[or $20/5 gal), that's a 20,000% mark up !"

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The water in the Detroit River was in Lake St. Clair an hour ago and in Lake Huron a few weeks before that. It's the sediment where most pollutants are coming from, and unless it's being disrupted there's little contamination in the actual water.

For those that are leery about eating fish out of the Detroit River do you happen to eat any fish or seafood? If you do, chances are good that you're eating fish that are far more contaminated than those coming out of the D. There's also a 30% chance that what you're eating isn't even what the label states and if it's a saltwater species there's a 25% chance that it was harvested illegally! More than 2/3 of fish consumed in the U.S is imported and often farm raised in nations like Vietnam, China and Thailand. Not exactly places known for their clean waters or sustainable fishing practices.

No kidding, we agree on something. I wouldn't recommend eating any bottom feeders, through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Bottled water too!

"Pepsi's Aquafina and Coca-Cola's Dasani use city of Detroit water sold in southeast Michigan communities. The companies use extra filtering procedures but the water source is the same -- the Detroit River."

"The best part is this.. Detroit supplies the water to Coke and Pepsi at $.002/gal.. that's right.. I'm talking about a penny for 5 gallons of water.

And they sell it at $4/gal [[or $20/5 gal), that's a 20,000% mark up !"

Same diffrenz here in Canada.

Dasani and Aquafina do their little municipal water trick in Canadian cities also and people swally it no matter what.

That is why I dont touch water. I stick to my Carlsberg or Tuborg beer.

you know beer is made with water and hops right ? they have'ta get the water somewhere.

also you made my point. all the DWSD and bottled water are filtered first. i want someone to stick a cup in the detroit river and drink it if its so safe.

forget the cinnamon challenge. this is the detroit river challenge!

Anything out of the Detroit River can't possibly be worse than [[click for the 26-minute audio) artificial calamari [[hog rectum).
    Ben Calhoun tells a story of physical resemblance — not of a person, but of food. A while ago, a farmer walked through a pork processing plant in Oklahoma with a friend who managed it. He came across boxes stacked on the floor with labels that said "artificial calamari." So he asked his friend "What’s artificial calamari?" "Bung," his friend replied. "Hog rectum." Have you or I eaten bung dressed up as seafood? Ben investigated.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-08-14 at 07:21 PM.

you know beer is made with water and hops right ? they have'ta get the water somewhere
    True. But I may as well get a buzz from the Brew rather than pay a Buck a pop for municipal water dressed up as spring water.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    True. But I may as well get a buzz from the Brew rather than pay a Buck a pop for municipal water dressed up as spring water.
    Ha, Nestle/Ice Mountain is trying to sop up all the ground water in Mecosta County Mi. and they call that spring water.

Maybe based on an earlier DetroitYes Thread by a Canadian author drawing attention to the practice of peeing on the sidewalks in Midtown, there has been a shift in the lore on the Canadian side and they are coming to Midtown to relieve themselves rather than use the River.

HEY! Speaking of fishing......... I thought maybe some of the members would be interested.

Name:  4th Annual Kids Fishing Day.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  54.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    HEY! Speaking of fishing......... I thought maybe some of the members would be interested.

Name:  4th Annual Kids Fishing Day.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  54.4 KB
    I don't believe a word of it. It's just propaganda from Lansing in order to justify raping the city and stealing its jewels. The fish are surely poisonous, and this is just a way to accelerate the obvious ethnic cleansing and gentrification that is at the root of all this activity under the guise of "free community programming".

You'd have to be a sucker to fall for the hook, line, and sinker.

Rar, rar, rar, rar, rar, get off my lawn, go back to Lansing.

The food supply from just about any source in this country is somewhat suspect. Do you trust the chicken, eggs, beef, etc. you're consuming. I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I don't believe a word of it. It's just propaganda from Lansing in order to justify raping the city and stealing its jewels. The fish are surely poisonous, and this is just a way to accelerate the obvious ethnic cleansing and gentrification that is at the root of all this activity under the guise of "free community programming".

You'd have to be a sucker to fall for the hook, line, and sinker.

Rar, rar, rar, rar, rar, get off my lawn, go back to Lansing.
    You're right. @ the height of the fishing festival, the "Nazi" State troopers will swoop in, put all the children without fishing licenses in trucks, make them wards of the State, and force them to build Snyder's bridge to Canada! I'm glad we nipped THAT one in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're right. @ the height of the fishing festival, the "Nazi" State troopers will swoop in, put all the children without fishing licenses in trucks, make them wards of the State, and force them to build Snyder's bridge to Canada! I'm glad we nipped THAT one in the bud.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Free Fishing day is a Statewide initiative that has been happening for years.
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...4238--,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble but Free Fishing day is a Statewide initiative that has been happening for years.
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...4238--,00.html
    Oh..............

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast