Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lawrence Tech consolidating in Midtown...

The article says a "two story" all commercial building, and there is a rendering of a three story building.

Great news 2 colleges in Midtown. Wayne State is looking forward to competition.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    I was hoping Lawrence Tech would move to Midtown. Kind of like how they moved to Southfield in '55 from Highland Park

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Great news 2 colleges in Midtown. Wayne State is looking forward to competition.
    They've already got two. College for Creative Studies counts, doesn't it? UofM and Michigan State have a presence in Midtown also.

What is the likelihood of Lawrence Tech expanding their [[Midtown) footprint beyond this current development?

This is great news. Detroit is really doing some impressive stuff these days!

I hate the MLive site for some reason no matter what computer I try to log onto it with, it ends up with a mini-crash.

Super news. I like the scale of the building. The glazing for what I guess are studios is pretty nice and inviting. There is an openness to the street, more interactive potential with pedestrian traffic. It is the antithesis of the recent YMCA building downtown which seems very closed to pedestrian traffic with long curtain mirrorglass walls and concrete wraparound on long sections.

This is a fine example of what Detroit needs; a reinterpretation of city streets of 6 decades past.

Just one more place for davewindsor to piss on.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The article says a "two story" all commercial building, and there is a rendering of a three story building.
    The first floor will have retail.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hate the MLive site for some reason no matter what computer I try to log onto it with, it ends up with a mini-crash.
    Same here.

They putting a st louis style arch in the background too? Sure hope so

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    They putting a st louis style arch in the background too? Sure hope so
    thats part of the McDonald's sign next door, so no such luck.

Not a bad looking building. If that's brick on the sides it should integrate well with the existing structures in the area.

The only weird thing about it is the larger windows on top. This, along with the rail along the top of the rest of the building, will make the building look smaller than it really is. I'm not sure if that's the goal, but it seems an odd design choice.

Hopefully this will be an ongoing trend. I’d like to see Lawrence Tech open up aschool facility for Detroit youth, start off with a middle school/high school academy.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    thats part of the McDonald's sign next door, so no such luck.
    So this is going to be built on the lot next to the McD's, in front of the steam plant?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    So this is going to be built on the lot next to the McD's, in front of the steam plant?
    that would be correct.

So LTU is moving out of Southfield and to a tiny lot next to McDonalds??

Did they get fries with that?

It is being built where the Graystone Ballroom was. There is still some old stone from the old entrances next to the sidewalk.

I like the rendering a lot. It blends old and new. I like the big windows on top. Ha ha, architecture is like cooking, season to taste.

We're going to have to provider catheters to DaveWindsor to keep things sharp.
    Last edited by RickBeall; May-08-13 at 10:15 PM.

The forum headline isn't well written

So they had the ceremonial "groundbreaking" with shovels in December with photos and all that good stuff, but absolutely nothing has occurred on the site since. Anyone know what is going on?

Today From the MDI Development Email Newsletter:
    "Also this month, we'll begin construction on the three story commercial building at the corner of Woodward and Willis. Estimated construction time is eight months. Contact us for leasing information."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast