Default cool little chapel

at McNichols/Grand Riverish

Anyone know the history?

http://tinyurl.com/ouvjhx9

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    at McNichols/Grand Riverish

Anyone know the history?

http://tinyurl.com/ouvjhx9
    It says it's a library on the cornice above the door. I can't read the name, though

I think it's the old Redford library branch
    Last edited by jcole; May-06-14 at 09:13 PM.

I think it might be the original Redford Branch of the Detroit Public Library.

So it is! I guess I was fooled by it being ON Chapel. I'd love to do something with it. I think it is out of the way of the Meijer construction

A Marcus Burrowes design. Opened in 1926. The same year that Redford was annexed into Detroit.

For most of my life, it was the Redford branch of the Detroit Public Library. I used to get books there. They had one fascinating book about the Civil War with detailed color drawings showing troop positions and movement during battles such as Antietam and Shiloh. I also remember getting a biography about Winston Churchill. After that, it housed a small museum dedicated to African American History. I hope the building lives on. Besides the Christ the King School and that sleazy motel on Bentler and Six Mile, there is little remaining as it was during my childhood. That library building had a lot of charm. Sort of like Old Main at WSU.

Passed it hundreds of times going to grade school in the 80's