Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SE Michigan contradictions

The talking points in this region are so contradictory it is sad and funny. Who has some good ones?

I'll start:

Kids in Detroit have the same opportunity if they work hard in school.........but, I would never send my kids there.

Kids in Detroit have the same opportunity if they work hard in school.........but, the city won't turn around until the schools improve.

People in Detroit are too lazy to work. There are plenty of jobs 20 miles away.....but, we spending money on public transportation is a waste.

Detroit must honor all of it's obligations......but the state better not put in one penny to bail out Detroit.

It's all Detroit, we're all in this together...until bad news hits, then it's fuck them animals. I live in Whogivesabluefuck Heights and have to constantly assure my out of state relatives I'm MILES from that place.

Detroit is a --hole! I would never cross 8 mile! - unless the Tigers, Wings, Lions or for that matter, The Lion King, is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    It's all Detroit, we're all in this together...until bad news hits, then it's fuck them animals. I live in Whogivesabluefuck Heights and have to constantly assure my out of state relatives I'm MILES from that place.
    ^^^^^^A personal favorite of mine.

The only racists I know of around here are those people in Detroit. Coleman Young, blah blah blah...

It's a nice place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Detroit must honor all of it's obligations......but the state better not put in one penny to bail out Detroit.
    even though the state has failed to live up to its tax-cut agreement with the city for over..can it be 20+ years now????

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    even though the state has failed to live up to its tax-cut agreement with the city for over..can it be 20+ years now????
    Speeking of contradictions so if Detroit had taxed its citizens more in the last decade there would be less tax delinquency and the city would be solvent now? 68 mills isn't enough? How are those property values holding up at one of the highest tax rates in the state? You can't squeeze money out of blight, it isn't possible.

Everyone over 40 calls the Cass Corridor the Cass Corridor. Everyone under 40 calls it Midtown.

GUSHI Guest

sorry people I grew up in detroit, I would not want to raise my daughter in detroits current conditions. A hand full of nice stable hoods, surrounded by pureabandonedment. decaying neighborhoods, mid town this mid town that, how about the neighborhoods?

Sounds like a lot of crying going on in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Speeking of contradictions so if Detroit had taxed its citizens more in the last decade there would be less tax delinquency and the city would be solvent now? 68 mills isn't enough? How are those property values holding up at one of the highest tax rates in the state? You can't squeeze money out of blight, it isn't possible.
    I believe rb336 is referring to the fact that revenue sharing was cut under the promise that it would be restored and that the city would make sure Detroit received its fair share and yeah, that never happened.

_________ suburb doesn't need Detroit, but as a resident I am going to bitch and moan about Detroit anyhow.

Metro Detroit: Where every other Caucasian male seems to be a white Al Sharpton.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Actually it is closer to 13 years. Detroit is not the only municipality being raked, all are. Even school districts, counties, etc. It is what the state does to balance its books, at the expense of local services.

Being that the year is almost up.

"The 7.2" being used to refer to the area around downtown.

It's a pretty new one, but the arrogance and entitlement packed into that one little statement.

Throw it into a Planned Parenthood dumpster and set it on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Being that the year is almost up.

"The 7.2" being used to refer to the area around downtown.

It's a pretty new one, but the arrogance and entitlement packed into that one little statement.

Throw it into a Planned Parenthood dumpster and set it on fire.
    I prefer Delta City myself...

DetroitBoy Guest

What does the 7.2 or delta city mean for us unenlightened folks?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    What does the 7.2 or delta city mean for us unenlightened folks?
    Basically how the rest of the city outside of downtown is being left to rot while Dan Gilbert works hard with his OCP-like influence to turn downtown into a Delta City-like dystopia.

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/robocop-dystopia-detroit.html#.VJuL-V4AOA
    Last edited by 313WX; December-24-14 at 11:02 PM.

7.2 refers to the 7.2 square mile area of "greater downtown detroit", i.e. downtown, midtown, woodbridge, and a few other contiguous pockets.

see: http://detroitsevenpointtwo.com/

Willi Guest

A city of many people yelling, about rights, entitlements, what once was, etc.,etc. and only a few actually doing what it takes to build a solid city- like working, paying bills, taxes, etc.
    A contradiction of personal social responsibility
    Last edited by Willi; December-25-14 at 12:09 AM.

"I moved to Detroit and I don't want to own a car. Now I can't get around"

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    "I moved to Detroit and I don't want to own a car. Now I can't get around"
    That's actually an understandable contradiction. Some people don't own a car because they can't afford to. I don't want to own a car because it's expensive, but I am forced to because that's Detroit's MO and transit here sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That's actually an understandable contradiction. Some people don't own a car because they can't afford to. I don't want to own a car because it's expensive, but I am forced to because that's Detroit's MO and transit here sucks.
    It's a contradiction. I drove a $1500 car for 5 years when I was going to school making minimum wage. None of my cars since then have cost more than $4,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    It's a contradiction. I drove a $1500 car for 5 years when I was going to school making minimum wage. None of my cars since then have cost more than $4,000.
    Good for you? Your personal anecdote doesn't apply to everyone.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; December-26-14 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Good for you? Your personal anecdote doesn't apply to everyone.
    Neither does yours and that wasn't the point. Motor city + moving here not intending to own a car = contradiction. No more or less valid than any other posts in this thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast