Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default EAA Teacher breaks up fight with broom...‏

She's out. Fired. Pershing is not a DPS school. It was converted to an Educational Achievement Authority school last year... She should have gone to get security. What a mess!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25...ght-with-broom
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-06-14 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    EAA Teacher breaks up fight with broom...‏

She's out. Fired. Pershing is not a DPS school. It was converted to an Educational Acheivement Authority school last year... She should have went to get security. What a mess!
    A link would help......

the reporter doesnt understand the street.

they dont teach remorse in school.
    remorse on the street means you're a pussy.
    the reporter is asking the kid if hes a pussy in front of everyone and to the news.
    of course the kid is going to say hes not sorry, not remorseful, not a pussy.

whats up with the gang squad ? fight and kids didnt look like they were in a gang. regular school fight.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    whats up with the gang squad ? fight and kids didnt look like they were in a gang. regular school fight.
    "Here comes the boss, everybody look like you're busy". They want to show the reporters they're on it, and earning their pay. This is a shame. In my day not only would've the teacher been apologized to and thanked, when Dad got me home, HE would've hit me with a broom.

Keith Johnson, President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, tells FOX 2's Maurielle Lue he believes the teacher was wrong for using a broom, although he understands her motive. "Unfortunately, the method that she used, in terms of swatting one with a broom, is a violation of the corporal punishment provision under the Michigan school code. But she's caught in a quandary because under that same code she's expected to do what is necessary to diffuse a situation," he says.

A representative from Pershing's communication's office says teachers were instructed during orientation to call for security on a walkie talkie during such situations. FOX 2 has learned this teacher's walkie talkie wasn't working.
    I'm generally not in favor of corporal punishment, but after seeing the video, I think it's a stretch to call what she did corporal punishment. She could not call security because her walkie talkie didn't work, and even if she did, she was able to intervene much quicker. The few swats of her broom did much less damage than the flying fists of the students involved. I think she made a judgement call, and it was the right call. Just more bureaucrats covering their arses, and making a scapegoat out of the teacher.

the reporter doesnt understand the street.

they dont teach remorse in school.
    remorse on the street means you're a pussy.
    the reporter is asking the kid if hes a pussy in front of everyone and to the news.
    of course the kid is going to say hes not sorry, not remorseful, not a pussy.

There is something wrong with that attitude.

The teacher tried to help the kids from killing each other and got fired. She should have her job back with a raise.

I think there is a much bigger problem at Pershing. On Seven Mile I drove by a good size gang fight about a quarter mile away after school got out about a month ago. It was about 15 kids against 15 other kids with the girls videoing the whole thing on their smart phones. I had enough sense to keep on driving but did report the fight to the security police at the high school.

One thing that does bother me is on tv the mother was complaining about the welts from the teacher on the back of kid that beating the c**p out of the other one. Not exactly a model parent.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    The teacher tried to help the kids from killing each other and got fired. She should have her job back with a raise.
    i agree. she tried to help at least. maybe she made a mistake with the broom.
    if the kid is ok with her still being his teacher i think she should get another chance.

i hope they dont bring charges against her.
    i hope the kids dont do battles in class anymore. that fight looked a little one sided too.

i agree. she tried to help at least. maybe she made a mistake with the broom.
    if the kid is ok with her still being his teacher i think she should get another chance.

i hope they dont bring charges against her.
    i hope the kids dont do battles in class anymore. that fight looked a little one sided too.
    She didn't make a mistake at all. She did the best she could given the circumstance.

She didn't make a mistake at all. She did the best she could given the circumstance.
    I watched the video. I don't see that the teacher made a mistake. In fact I think she had a responsibility to do what she did.

Sure, there are rules for teacher behavior. But I think I would break them too if it helped a child who was getting slugged and was a real risk of real injury. The child hit by the broom. 1) More force should and can be used against an aggressor. 2) Its a broom. A direct hit by the broom is much less severe than the blunt force of that kid's fist on the kid being beaten. I think she absolutely had to act as she did while waiting for security.

You think she should have done nothing? You know for sure you'd do better in her shoes?

Well, she was fired. A good samaritan helping a kid getting beaten fired by misapplication of a well-intentioned rule. At least she can be proud of her actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I watched the video. I don't see that the teacher made a mistake. In fact I think she had a responsibility to do what she did.

Sure, there are rules for teacher behavior. But I think I would break them too if it helped a child who was getting slugged and was a real risk of real injury. The child hit by the broom. 1) More force should and can be used against an aggressor. 2) Its a broom. A direct hit by the broom is much less severe than the blunt force of that kid's fist on the kid being beaten. I think she absolutely had to act as she did while waiting for security.

You think she should have done nothing? You know for sure you'd do better in her shoes?

Well, she was fired. A good samaritan helping a kid getting beaten fired by misapplication of a well-intentioned rule. At least she can be proud of her actions.
    Maybe my post was not clear. I agree with you. I said she DID NOT make a mistake. She probably saved the kids from further injury.

The parents and kid should be punished. Teacher should be re-hired, given a bonus.

Maybe my post was not clear. I agree with you. I said she DID NOT make a mistake. She probably saved the kids from further injury.

The parents and kid should be punished. Teacher should be re-hired, given a bonus.
    And a new broom!

The parent [[and I use that term loosely) showed welts on the back of the young man. In my mind, those wells could have just as well been made by him being slammed up against the desks and the windowsill. Mom will be filing a lawsuit very shortly. When are people going to start taking responsibility for their actions or their children's actions? Blaming someone else for the obvious wrongdoings of others always seems to be the answer. Listen to the kids interview, "she ain't wait, that who she deserve". It's the teachers fault she got fired? Give me a break!

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post

One thing that does bother me is on tv the mother was complaining about the welts from the teacher on the back of kid that beating the c**p out of the other one. Not exactly a model parent.
    This is the problem. You have too many violent and rebellious children with violent and rebellious parents in DPS and the EAA. Teachers will get blamed for everything, and the decline will continue.

Solution: Set up a series of military-discipline style schools throughout the city. One incident like this and you're expelled from your traditional school and you're there, if you want to remain in the district. You get to live there, too, away from your shitbag parents. Make it a notch above boot camp. Straighten up in a year and you can go back to a school where the civilized kids are.

You keep the disruptive monsters raised by disruptive monsters from infringing on the rights of the good kids to learn. You also give them another shot at life. How much do you want to bet that our little boxer is going to end up dead or in prison within a decade? I'd take that bet if I were you.

The teacher? Do I even need to comment? I wouldn't take that job for all the tea in China, let alone the shit wages they pay teachers. They should get combat pay. Do they seriously wonder why it's a revolving door at those places? When you're essentially paid to be riot police that can't fight back?

I bet that little piss ant's mom is cruising around for lawyer's phone numbers on billboards right now. Bunch of shit.
    Last edited by poobert; May-06-14 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    The parent [[and I use that term loosely) showed welts on the back of the young man. In my mind, those wells could have just as well been made by him being slammed up against the desks and the windowsill.
    There wasn't a mark on his body. She was showing the camera where the "welts" were...if there were any to begin with. Just laying the groundwork for the inevitable lawsuit. No doubt in my mind that this kid and his shitbag mom will make up whatever story they need to in order to get free money out of this.

Since the whole thing was on video, how come there is no mention of battery charges for the boy in question? How has he completely escaped culpability for beating another student in class?

The sad part is, this kid will most likely be dead or in prison before his 21st birthday anyways. Just another day in Detroit where the inmates rule the asylum.

I think both the kid and his mother need a few smacks with the broom

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    The parent [[and I use that term loosely) showed welts on the back of the young man. In my mind, those wells could have just as well been made by him being slammed up against the desks and the windowsill. Mom will be filing a lawsuit very shortly. When are people going to start taking responsibility for their actions or their children's actions? Blaming someone else for the obvious wrongdoings of others always seems to be the answer. Listen to the kids interview, "she ain't wait, that who she deserve". It's the teachers fault she got fired? Give me a break!
    Mom has hit the lottery. She's very happy with her kid. She's gonna be rich!

And the sad thing is there's a very good chance she will. Our system wants to give anyone with a half-asses grievance a pile of cash. Money that could be better spent elsewhere. When we agree to silly rules like 'zero tolerance' to anything ... this is what we get.

I can't believe there's no way to proactively prevent such fighting. That would have been the best solution.

I wonder if DetroitTeacher [[who couldn't recruit a fruit fly to teach at DPS) is still out there.

I wonder what the class size here was.

I think virtually all students prefer an orderly learning environment
    but I'm sure it takes effort and teamwork from everyone to get there.

Pershing is part of the Education Achievement Authority, the state's school turnaround district. The EAA district does not have a union so the teacher has no ground to file an appeal.
    So, question for all of you who believe this teacher was treated unfairly: do you recognize that the Snyder administration's union-busting, not the child or his mother, is what allowed this situation to play out as it did? Or do you only stick up for teachers when it gives you a chance to call some random woman you've never met a "shitbag?"

GUSHI Guest

Wow how have times changed, the nuns use to hit me w a paddle and ruler, any my parents supported them to do it. The teacher may of saved the kid life and gets fired.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    So, question for all of you who believe this teacher was treated unfairly: do you recognize that the Snyder administration's union-busting, not the child or his mother, is what allowed this situation to play out as it did? Or do you only stick up for teachers when it gives you a chance to call some random woman you've never met a "shitbag?"
    The greater issue is that there really has been little difference between DPS and EAA; between cities managed by managers and lousy local governments. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. I believe urban reform is needed - and at virtually any cost - and that unions have largely calcified, but that they're still needed, especially with teachers.

Much like his job creating initiatives, Snyder's reforms have failed to show any meaningful results. And she's still probably a shitbag. I have no tolerance for deadbeats, governors or lousy parents. I'm going to call it like I see it, regardless of party lines.

Should have called the police & ran.....[[as stated in the policy)!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Should have called the police & ran.....[[as stated in the policy)!
    Yep.

But of course this was in Detroit with Detroit school kids, so handling the situation in a civil manner was a foreign concept.

I'm sure the teacher wouldn't have gotten away with this [[or even thought about doing this) in the Canton/Plymouth school district...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast