Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default House of Horrors for Chihuahuas

As many as 150 dead animals have been found in a house in Dearborn where authorities had previously found more than 100 live Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes over the past two days, according to Dearborn Police Chief Ronald Haddad.

Authorities discovered the dead animals today when they searched the basement of the home in the 7800 block of Orchard and found several freezers. Criminal charges are being explored, police said. One charge that could result is aggravated animal cruelty, a felony which carries a four-year penalty.

Haddad didn’t rule out the possibility that others might be involved.

Meanwhile, the search for live dogs is continuing. The chief said several are believed to be hiding among the mounds of debris still present in the house.

Numerous large trash containers have been move onto the property to deal with the debris.

Haddad said he could not explain why the man, identified earlier as Kenneth Lang Jr., 56, kept so many live and dead dogs on his property.

“I can’t answer why anyone would do anything that went on in that house,” Haddad said.

He estimated that the collection of animals could have been going on for as many as four years. The discovery was prompted by an earlier complaint from a neighbor about a foul smell coming from Lang’s home.

http://freep.com/article/20090724/NE...eal-at-shelter

That's a sad story. Probably doubly sad because the animal "collector" probably loved the Chihuahuas before something went so sadly wrong.

Wow, this is sad. I wonder if they will do autopsies on these animals to see if they were physically abused. Either way, I'm sure many of the animal were neglected, when you have that many running around!

-Tahleel

Personally, I can't stand the yapping little ankle biters, but this is just ridiculous. Dude obviously has some mental issues which is common in hoarders.

This is a horrible week for chihuahuas. First the Taco Bell dog passes away, now this.
    In all seriousness, this is sad. =[[

I myself have a teacup chihuahua, I can deal with one barking for the most part, But 100 , that would drive a person mad if they wern't mad enuff to have that many.Having been in a house where dogs were raised I have smelt the effects that 10 dogs can have on the smell of a house. I just hope that the dogs find good homes and their former owner gets some help.

Anyone adopting one of these dogs must be made aware that because he held these animals inside for so long there is no doubt some serious inbreeding involved.
    What that does is decrease the lifespan of these animals which is not that long anyway, as well as increasing the chances for major medical problems somewhere down the road.
    Don't get me wrong, I am in favor of all homeless pets to be adopted, I just think people need to be aware of what they are getting.
    May God bless all of these helpless creatures.

I often wonder if such people with that many dogs, cats, or what-have-you, have diminished mental and cognitive abilities brought on by Alzheimers or diabetes-induced dementia. They seem aware they have many many animals but their poor thinking abilities can't come to a solution, i.e., call animal control/society.

I really like dogs, but have a deep rooted hatred for Chihuahuas! They have to be the nastiest, most annoying member of canine family! My guess is this guy was totally normal until he acquired his first Chihuahua. Then he faced the constant barking, leg lifting, biting, yipping and loss of mail delivery. The realization that the damn little rodents practically live forever drove him over the edge!

Did I mention that I hate Chihuahuas?

The poor man obviously didn't have any friend or relatives that came to visit or even check on him. Its really heart wrenching that some people live such isolated lives.

what? No Dearborn bashing? Hasn't anyone searched out the location of this malicious incident?! This is DYes! Someone is required to find the location of the incident and link the incident to fault of the city and it's residents! I guess I'll start.

Damn Dearborn....ers! Always hoarding their damn dogs! Scum of the earth I say! It's just a cesspool of dog hoarders! The city should be bombed

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    what? No Dearborn bashing? Hasn't anyone searched out the location of this malicious incident?! This is DYes! Someone is required to find the location of the incident and link the incident to fault of the city and it's residents! I guess I'll start.

Damn Dearborn....ers! Always hoarding their damn dogs! Scum of the earth I say! It's just a cesspool of dog hoarders! The city should be bombed

^^^huh??^^^

littlebuddy Guest

My Chihuahua has more feelings than all my other dogs combined. Sure his bark gets on my nerves, but happy,sad,protective,etc this dog lives each out to the max. Where is Orchard st in Dearborn?

7840 Orchard is 7 blocks East of Greenfield and is in thw 1st block South of Tireman

Over 300 dogs living in putrified conditions ata a Dearborn home. That owner is sick! very sick! By the way, on the Detroit side is Marlowe St.