Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cinco de Mayo becomes Dia de los Muertos

The Cinco de Mayo Parade in Detroit was cut short Sunday after a 19-year-old was shot to death as the parade made its way up Vernor, police said.

Witnesses said the shooting took place just after 1 p.m. in front of Brown’s Bun Bakery as people packed onto Vernor for the annual event.

Detroit Police Officer Adam Madera said the victim was pronounced dead at the hospital. A 24-year-old man has been taken into custody in connection with the shooting.

“We’re not certain of the circumstances,” Madera said. “There apparently was an argument between the victim and the suspect’s family, which escalated to the shooting.”
    http://www.freep.com/article/2014050...141/1001/rss01

Seems to have hit the national news sites already.

A few of my friends attended the Cinco de Mayo parade about 5-6 years ago. On a crowded street they went inside a business to use the restroom and a few minutes later walked outside to find the street nearly empty. Same ordeal, a guy fired shots among the party goers, luckily no one was killed in that instance.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not quite sure if you're serious or not, but within the article you linked to I see very little justification for killing a man in front of a large crowd.

Details are very scarce at this point.

Murders? I thought it was singular, not plural.

At least they arrested the [[hopefully) right guy. Remember the fireworks shooting at Hart Plaza? There were a hundred thousand witnesses to that one and they never found the correct shooter.

I rented a place literally feet away from that same corner in 2008 and I remember the next year a huge fight broke out. Every year something happens at this festival. Too many gangs all hanging out on the same strip
    Last edited by Oddz313; May-05-14 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    At least they arrested the [[hopefully) right guy. Remember the fireworks shooting at Hart Plaza? There were a hundred thousand witnesses to that one and they never found the correct shooter.
    To be fair, that was under a different administration [[and different police leadership)

Cinco de Mayo has become the Mexican St. Patrick's Day. Instead of a celebration of Mexican culture and history, it's an embarrassing booze fest. I think it's almost blasphemous how so many people choose days we reserve to "honor" people or events or ethnicities or service to be reckless, partying fools.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To be fair, that was under a different administration [[and different police leadership)
    Of course you're right but regardless of the administration, it was a high profile case investigated by a big city police department, not a group of Keystone Cops from the circus.

There is a significant question as to whether there ever actually were any shots fired at the fireworks that year.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Cinco de Mayo has become the Mexican St. Patrick's Day. Instead of a celebration of Mexican culture and history, it's an embarrassing booze fest. I think it's almost blasphemous how so many people choose days we reserve to "honor" people or events or ethnicities or service to be reckless, partying fools.
    Good luck pulling that off. I make guacamole and tacos every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Good luck pulling that off. I make guacamole and tacos every year.
    I'm not trying to pull anything off; I don't think it's retrievable for either St. Patrick's or CdM.

I went a few years ago and the LAST thing I felt was anything approaching "family friendly." I've lived in the city for a long time, including SW Detroit, but my spidey sense was going nuts. Too many young men throwing nasty looks all over the place. It was a massacre waiting to happen. I don't look for trouble, so I left.

As much as I'm tired of both events, I don't really see similarities between CdM and St. Patrick's Day parade. I'm guessing most people here have been to neither. As far as I know there has never been a murder at the St. Patrick's Day parade. Rowdy drunks, yes. However most people survive a fist fight - I have. A shooting is a lot more permanent. It is a shame. Life is really so precious, yet this city is full of people with completely backwards morals.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    As much as I'm tired of both events, I don't really see similarities between CdM and St. Patrick's Day parade.
    They're very similar in that they're both non-holidays in their supposed "native" countries [[Cinco de Mayo, especially, which is almost unknown in Mexico) and have both been co-opted in the U.S. as an excuse for drinking and debauchery.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There is a significant question as to whether there ever actually were any shots fired at the fireworks that year.
    There were a number of people who were hit from gunfire. There wasn't a question about that.

I had forgotten about the parade.. now I hear about this.. geez.. horrible..

The corktown parade is tame compared to Cinco de mayo, gangs of drunken whites don't all click up and fight each other on a yearly basis with sometimes gun shots and murder being the outcome. Yes the corktown parade has the occasional fight and people falling over themselves drunk but these 2 events should not be compared

The gunman who killed DeJesus [[Day-Hey-Zeus) was released from police custody. Pitiful. So much for the justice system in Great State of ' Mich-ississippi'

and now for the rest of the story...

Ya it will be a hot summer in the old town, chief craig will have a mess on his hands while trying to put on his little "damn dope on the table" bit.

At least Craig did his 8th police raid at the far-Northwest Detroit ghetto hood.

YAY CRAIG!