Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit City Airport: Where does it stand in the bankruptcy reorganization?...

Are there plans to sell or privatize DET [[three letter designation for city airport)? Seems I heard something last year ago selling DET to a private concern. This seems like it could be a valuable asset if managed property.

I'd say having some B-52s drop some bunker busting bombs on it would be the shark move.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Are there plans to sell or privatize DET [[three letter designation for city airport)? Seems I heard something last year ago selling DET to a private concern. This seems like it could be a valuable asset if managed property.

I've been saying that from years. The emphasis, of course, being on "managed PROPERLY".

http://www.freep.com/article/2014040...t-city-airport

its all in that bankruptcy plan. its only a few hundred pages. i guess i was the only one to read the whole thing.
    http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...-statement.pdf

10. Coleman A. Young Airport

The City is investigating various alternatives for generating revenue with respect to Coleman A. Young International Airport, including possible sale or lease transactions, modernization initiatives designed to attract core users of the airport and/or reducing airport costs by outsourcing certain functions. In November 2012, a consultant prepared a ten-year capital improvement program for the airport which included several rehabilitation plans, ranging from approximately $55 million [[for upgrades to facilities other than runways) to $273 million [[for a rehabilitation including a replacement runway funded in part by federal grants). The City plans to continue to subsidize and operate the airport until a viable transaction or rehabilitation plan is identified, in part because closing the airport would terminate certain federal subsidies and would require the City to repay certain grant monies previously received by the City from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Page 77 as labeled in the document, or page 91 on your PDF browser on compn's link.

While we are on the topic of the possible sale of facilities owned by the
    city, does Kevyn Orr's reorganization plan present any ideas about the
    Detroit incinerator? I printed out the document but did not read it page
    by page.

i believe kevyn orr is privitizing/outsourcing the solid waste.
    theres no mention of the incinerator that i remember.

so either the outsourced company will pay to use detroit's incinerator, or it will just go unused.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...to-incinerator

No matter who comes out a winner among the 10 bidders to collect Detroit's solid waste and recycling contract starting in early 2014, a likely loser in revenue and energy output will be the city incinerator.

The company that owns the waste-to-energy plant, Detroit Renewable Energy LLC, will likely receive less waste at a lower tonnage fee rate after the city finishes privatizing waste collection from its Department of Public Works, said Bill Nowling, a spokesman for Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr.

City Airport would likely only attract a private airline/operator to renovate & relaunch it if it had longer runways. Costs aside, they would need to rebuild those runways more to the West, into what is theoretically a residential area. Cemeteries block North/South extensions, and Connor St to the East does so as well. Honestly, though, with so much vacant or near vacant land in the city, we could build a new airport elsewhere. Arguments in favor of relocating include the too-short runways [[for larger jetliners), lack of immediate proximity to expressways, and the fact that the current terminal is both small and outdated. Arguments against: it will be expensive [[as would making the current airport a vibrant terminal), Metro is busy but lightyears from capacity, and people near any other site will bitch and moan until they receive a big, fat check. I used to favor converting Selfridge into Metro Detroit's secondary airport; I now realize it is too isolated, and that a main selling point of a new facility is having it be closer to the city/downtown.
    Last edited by MikeyinBrooklyn; May-05-14 at 12:33 AM.

My previous post is based on the premise that City Airport be considered for a rejuvenated airport. It could also be torn down and sold to be something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    so either the outsourced company will pay to use detroit's incinerator, or it will just go unused.
    What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What a waste.

It burns one, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    it burns one, doesn't it?

ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ouch!
    The worst part is that I will never be able to unread those posts!