Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default kid activity advice

Generally we do a block party, a street association party. 3 to 5 area clean ups. An ice cream social. I plan to take kids to the historical museum, most have never been. More and more kids want to go to church with me [[which leaves me baffled). I do cooking classes when asked. The kids created several berm beds, I get the flowers from the market on the cheap, I do not need to announce plantings if I am outside I am like a kid magnet. If wash my car on the street I get swarmed. Mostly I am looking for craft ideas. or activities.

We rebuilt our garage but only sided two sides. They are welcome be creative. It will amuse me. They are begging to help. These kids are just plain bored. I am only one of many that work with these kids. I am retired and can commit time though I don't want them here all day and I am not a free babysitter. day everyday, I raised my kids.

Some simple projects and please inexpensive. These kids are not lazy. For serious work I pay them. Pretty sure they think we are loaded, so not true.

A few other thoughts, some area kids are well provided for and some so needy it would break your heart. All of them adorable. I can provide grant monies to go to camp and so far no takers. Their world is so limited they are afraid to go beyond it.

Free Grand Prix day

Free boat race day

I think Saturday was free comic book day.

Free fishing http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...497---,00.html

http://www.southeastmichigankidseatfree.com/
    Last edited by black gold man; May-04-14 at 05:10 AM.

Belle Isle Aquarium, Conservatory and Dossin Great Lakes Museum are all free.

So charmed, Joseph at church wants to take the kids to Belle Isle one Sunday afternoon. He has mechanical legs so said he is only good for about 2 hrs. He wants to take them to Wendys so they can picnic on the island.

The CapCorp commune kids are planning a community garden and seem to have things well organized. It will be at two locations on our block. Haven't checked with them but I want to do a simple project making cement pavers. The kids can do palm prints and their names. That will vest them into the project and give them a sense of ownership.

Great effort to keep the kids busy and educate them too.

Thanks Avery, but honestly I feel inadequate to fill their needs. One young lady that comes over says she wants to be a lawyer and a pediatrician, both nice goals, but at 14 she can barely read.

I did ask one kid if MLK [[King High school) had a home Econ program and was told no. I thought about it and realized it probably has a name like family and consumer resources. Asked again and was told no also. Cooking, shopping, budgeting, sewing should be basic skills! Is this possible that these programs are not available?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Thanks Avery, but honestly I feel inadequate to fill their needs. One young lady that comes over says she wants to be a lawyer and a pediatrician, both nice goals, but at 14 she can barely read.

I did ask one kid if MLK [[King High school) had a home Econ program and was told no. I thought about it and realized it probably has a name like family and consumer resources. Asked again and was told no also. Cooking, shopping, budgeting, sewing should be basic skills! Is this possible that these programs are not available?
    They are usually not available anywhere now, Sumas. They teach life skills, if they are lucky they may get that.

Maybe you can just do what you did last year for the kids? I remembered there was a thread filled with ideas that was posted here, have a look.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-area-children

Thank you for the refresher. Area people do what we can and frankly we are fucking good on a no budget. A small community garden was created. Area people donated mowing time, a picnic table, donated, and our commune "hippies" dug a fire pit. Kids had to shave sticks to roast marshmallows. I hate to abuse the word charming but it really was.

So laugh if you want, my community really cares. The camp fire was fun and we are considering a tent fest.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    They are usually not available anywhere now, Sumas. They teach life skills, if they are lucky they may get that.

Maybe you can just do what you did last year for the kids? I remembered there was a thread filled with ideas that was posted here, have a look.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-area-children
    I hope you realize how sad that sounds. As a kid, I helped cook, took out trash, sewed, ironed, did dishes, set the table, cut grass and never felt put upon. It was just part of family life. It bothers me a great deal that area children eat most meals at area gas stations.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I hope you realize how sad that sounds. As a kid, I helped cook, took out trash, sewed, ironed, did dishes, set the table, cut grass and never felt put upon. It was just part of family life. It bothers me a great deal that area children eat most meals at area gas stations.
    If they are going to be around anyway, what stops you from giving them a few lessons in those those basics of life? And, a pot of soup and a few slices of bread don't cost that much to provide. Maybe once a week, give them a little meal or something to give them something to build on?? Get with some neighborhood groups to possibly provide a meal to make for them, if you explained your purpose they may contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by townonenorth View Post
    If they are going to be around anyway, what stops you from giving them a few lessons in those those basics of life? And, a pot of soup and a few slices of bread don't cost that much to provide. Maybe once a week, give them a little meal or something to give them something to build on?? Get with some neighborhood groups to possibly provide a meal to make for them, if you explained your purpose they may contribute.
    Actually I do cooking classes already, Ron does piano classes and guitar lessons. I am pretty sure that Peggy [[her american name) is going to do yoga classes. Blair works with young adults at risk teaching carpentry. He was a black panther back in the day.

I'll leave it to someone else to teach sewing. My Mom made most of our clothes and as the youngest of three girls, I hated those homemade hand me downs. Doubt kids today want to learn how to embroider, needlepoint or tat [[lace making). Kyle is planning a drum circle and we already have a supervised bike club for kids 10 to 14. As I said this is one sweet little neighborhood.