Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SMART driver attacked with a box cutter.

I know DDOT drivers have been getting their asses kicked the last year.

At least those are a TINY bit more understandable seeing as people's frustrations can boil over when it feels like noone gives a shit.

Would be nice if there some type of transportation where riders could pay elsewhere and their interaction with operators was extremely limited.

But alas that pipe dream just doesn't exist.

Link to Freep article

I strongly favor drivers being in a secure booth at the front of the bus. I've been in places where the driver is in a locked plexiglass booth to prevent both their being assaulted, and to prevent someone from taking over the bus. I hope the driver is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I know DDOT drivers have been getting their asses kicked the last year.

At least those are a TINY bit more understandable seeing as people's frustrations can boil over when it feels like noone gives a shit.

Would be nice if there some type of transportation where riders could pay elsewhere and their interaction with operators was extremely limited.

But alas that pipe dream just doesn't exist.

Link to Freep article
    Those guys should get combat pay.

Can all the riders get their own cones of silence as well? There are many reasons I don't ride the bus here anymore.

"I love Michigan because the people are so nice." Just watch out for boxcutters.

jimmyr Guest

And you all think interns and yuppies are going to be eager to ride M-1? Riiiiight. Interns and yuppies will be using their own car or Uber, etc. for any short transportation. Shut down M-1 now and put that $140M into something else, anything else.

I don't agree jimmyr, if anything, I think M1-Rail needs to be expanded up to Pontiac.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    And you all think interns and yuppies are going to be eager to ride M-1? Riiiiight. Interns and yuppies will be using their own car or Uber, etc. for any short transportation. Shut down M-1 now and put that $140M into something else, anything else.
    Are you going to blame the "urban element" for this while you're at it?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Anyone who thinks having a "bus on rails" is going to change the on board ambiance from a regular bus is smoking something.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I don't agree jimmyr, if anything, I think M1-Rail needs to be expanded up to Pontiac.
    And if they really want a regional system, how about light rail lines on all the radials? For example, we could have an M-85 Rail to Riverview and an M-3 Rail to Mount Clemens.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Anyone who thinks having a "bus on rails" is going to change the on board ambiance from a regular bus is smoking something.
    Well I mean, I am defending "the urban element", so I most definitely smoke illegal narcotics. Duh.
    Edit - Bought 'em with my food stamps too, to boot.

smart bus driver told my friend they were going to stop providing a route that he uses.

its unfortunate and he thinks maybe he can take the 8 mile bus to the woodward bus to get where he needs to go. but i think that may add 1-2 hours to his commute time.

That Great Guy Guest

Anyone who thinks voting NO means any loss of Federal, State or Local funding or cuts in essential service next August is also smoking something

Google save the fuel tax org

All funding and bus service provided by SMART is fully protected by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and ADA of 1991.

It's time to end the scare tactics and bullying of the low income by casting your vote next August with a vote of NO and write to Mr. John Hertel to come out and debate me on television today.
    Last edited by That Great Guy; May-02-14 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyr View Post
    You would be surprised at how differently people feel about trains vs busses. The Detroit People Mover is packed full of suburbanites during downtown sporting events, concerts, conventions, etc. Most of the people who have no problem riding the people mover would never get on a SMART bus in their own suburban neighborhood, let alone a DDOT bus in the city. They do not have the same aversion to a rail system.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    You would be surprised at how differently people feel about trains vs busses. The Detroit People Mover is packed full of suburbanites during downtown sporting events, concerts, conventions, etc. Most of the people who have no problem riding the people mover would never get on a SMART bus in their own suburban neighborhood, let alone a DDOT bus in the city. They do not have the same aversion to a rail system.
    They would also be glad to get on a parking shuttle bus or a hotel shuttle bus. The buses at Disney World are just as crowded as the monorail.

They would also be glad to get on a parking shuttle bus or a hotel shuttle bus. The buses at Disney World are just as crowded as the monorail.
    I agree that the people who will not ride a SMART or DDOT bus will not only ride rail systems, but also shuttle busses.

How does this support your argument that they won't ride the M-1 rail line?

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Spoken like a true anti transit automobile company stooge

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Spoken like a true anti transit automobile company stooge
    I'm in favor of a 3.5 mil property tax and a full restoration of federal and state funds.

But, you DetroitYES people mostly want to drive yer big pigs and pay the charity tax to replace what truE mass transit advocates such as myself support.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I agree that the people who will not ride a SMART or DDOT bus will not only ride rail systems, but also shuttle busses.

How does this support your argument that they won't ride the M-1 rail line?
    I am not saying that people won't ride it, but the same people riding the Woodward Ave buses would also be riding a Woodward Ave streetcar.

I am not saying that people won't ride it, but the same people riding the Woodward Ave buses would also be riding a Woodward Ave streetcar.
    And not only the Woodward buses, but you'll still expect to see suburbanites coming in from even the Gratiot, Michigan, Fort, Grand River and Jefferson buses still having to use the Woodward streetcar to get to destination in the Midtown and New Center areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I strongly favor drivers being in a secure booth at the front of the bus. I've been in places where the driver is in a locked plexiglass booth to prevent both their being assaulted, and to prevent someone from taking over the bus. I hope the driver is okay.
    I gotta agree with Mikey here. I don't think I would have driven a cab had it not been for that plexiglass. Cabbies have it; liquor stores have it. How many bus drivers have to be attacked before they get some protection?

That's the concept behind the Dollar Vans that stream by the thousands into NYC from Jersey every day

I should say this isn't a new story, I came within a few hours of riding Silas Cool's doomed #359 off Aurora Bridge, & wound up on tv when our bus into Seattle was the last operating one in their system after the Damir Igric on Tenn there's since been Arturo Martinez & several copycat freaks, but if you guys wanna split hairs over 'urban' nobody can disagree this exact same attack on a driver in Rodney King's town was textbook horrific: http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...ing-bus-speaks

Hah. I don't drive a big 'pig' car, but I do enjoy not being a 'captive audience' to what is going on in the local public transit system in this area. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    But, you DetroitYES people mostly want to drive yer big pigs and pay the charity tax to replace what truE mass transit advocates such as myself support.

That Great Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hah. I don't drive a big 'pig' car, but I do enjoy not being a 'captive audience' to what is going on in the local public transit system in this area. No thank you.
    Thank You for your post

The people on this forum think voting NO next August means SMART loses about $47 Million per year in operating subsidies.

This is proof and physical evidence beyond any doubt that the rights of every single human being on this Earth is now being violated.

Thus, you are a captive audience unless you choose to look the other way at losing your own basic rights or those of others.

The Unites States of America is in more danger then you might think of being taken over by Soviet Era Communists.

The SMART bus drivers might have their paychecks cut, if they don't fight for true freedom and democracy. It is not too late for them to fight but time is running out, if they want to protect over $100 Million per year from State taxes on fuel.

Mr. Hertel of SMART has so far refused to debate me on television

Thank You very much for your post

Without or Sans funding to get this WebSite extremely well known, it could be too late to recover lost community transit funds from federal and state fuel tax collections in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by That Great Guy View Post
    Thank You for your post

The people on this forum think voting NO next August means SMART loses about $47 Million per year in operating subsidies.

This is proof and physical evidence beyond any doubt that the rights of every single human being on this Earth is now being violated.

Thus, you are a captive audience unless you choose to look the other way at losing your own basic rights or those of others.

The Unites States of America is in more danger then you might think of being taken over by Soviet Era Communists.

The SMART bus drivers might have their paychecks cut, if they don't fight for true freedom and democracy. It is not too late for them to fight but time is running out, if they want to protect over $100 Million per year from State taxes on fuel.

Mr. Hertel of SMART has so far refused to debate me on television

Thank You very much for your post

Without or Sans funding to get this WebSite extremely well known, it could be too late to recover lost community transit funds from federal and state fuel tax collections in Michigan.
    Another drive by "copy and paste".

Soviet Era Communists = Old Men with Prostate Cancer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast