Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default woodward gardens apartments open, gym, bank, UM moving in too

I saw the balcony's filling up this morning too so makes sense.. 45 of 61 apartments already leased out.. talk about filling a demand.. i expect the remaining to be filled by the end of july.. summer months are always when people are looking for places

Great for the area to get some more foot traffic down here

Anytime fitness, flag star bank, and U-M [[puke) are the commercial tenants. commercial spots are all filled too

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._river_default
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; May-01-14 at 11:07 PM.

Go Blue! Great to have more U of M presence.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Go Blue! Great to have more U of M presence.
    Screw em. They left the City back in the 1837 now they want to jump in when it is trendy.

Great news. I can't wait for the Strathmore to be redeveloped....such a beautiful building.

Agree on the Strathmore. Is there any piece of blight in Midtown as bad as the Strathmore?

With Woodward Gardens complete and people moving in, does this mean that Detroit has achieved another fully-functional block [[or that it will when the first floor is occupied.....)?

Detroit News coverage:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...lock-s-revival
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-02-14 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Screw em. They left the City back in the 1837 now they want to jump in when it is trendy.
    Funny.....

Why did it take ten years for him to renovate the whole block. Red tape that the city put in front of it's least favorite developers had been a stumbling block for years

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why did it take ten years for him to renovate the whole block. Red tape that the city put in front of it's least favorite developers had been a stumbling block for years

i would think it had to do much more with finding the money to do this rather than red tape.. although i'm sure that process wasn't the smoothest either.. but hey.. he did it, and that block is now one of the nicest in midtown! great job by him and his team

with the strathmore renovation starting this summer [[supposedly) and down the street hop cat reno, and the LTU building.. and on the other side of the street the new wayne state physician building all starting this summer ... this area of midtown is going to be flourishing in a year or two

so who do you contact to possibly inquire about an apartment?

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i would think it had to do much more with finding the money to do this rather than red tape.. although i'm sure that process wasn't the smoothest either.. but hey.. he did it, and that block is now one of the nicest in midtown! great job by him and his team

with the strathmore renovation starting this summer [[supposedly) and down the street hop cat reno, and the LTU building.. and on the other side of the street the new wayne state physician building all starting this summer ... this area of midtown is going to be flourishing in a year or two
    My view of development in Detroit has been downtown and then moving out through Midtown along Woodward.

I've always felt those blocks from Woodward to Cass, especially with Woodward frontage, are extra special [[and critical) and that in due time [[like now ) we'd get that critical mass, i.e., as one block turns it becomes more likely that more blocks will redevelop.

It is only a matter of time before the whole area from Fisher/Woodward/Cass and W. Warren is largely redeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    My view of development in Detroit has been downtown and then moving out through Midtown along Woodward.

I've always felt those blocks from Woodward to Cass, especially with Woodward frontage, are extra special [[and critical) and that in due time [[like now ) we'd get that critical mass, i.e., as one block turns it becomes more likely that more blocks will redevelop.

It is only a matter of time before the whole area from Fisher/Woodward/Cass and W. Warren is largely redeveloped.

i'm waiting to see what wayne eventually decides to put on the Southwest corner of Warren and Woodward... Whatever it is I think it'll definitely be a statement-making building.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so who do you contact to possibly inquire about an apartment?
    http://3901woodwardave.com/

Although, the website doesn't look like it's been very well kept up. I'd assume they'd update it shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i'm waiting to see what wayne eventually decides to put on the Southwest corner of Warren and Woodward... Whatever it is I think it'll definitely be a statement-making building.
    I agree. There are critical blocks along Woodward and that is one.

WSU also was supposed to build a Bus Ad building on Woodward and I guess W. Ferry. [[down there somewhere). I thought they were raising money for it many years ago and nothing happens. [[and I thought WSU had a big fund raising campaign).

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This was a very complicated project they had to accomodate Zakoor's who did not want to leave, it was also started at a time when not a whole lot of folks were ready to put a lot of money into a complicated and risky project. If it was started in say 2011, the future would have been a lot more bright for it. Could you imagine back in 2006 or so telling the bank you wanted to buy a block that is mostly empty, renovate/expand it?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This was a very complicated project they had to accomodate Zakoor's who did not want to leave, it was also started at a time when not a whole lot of folks were ready to put a lot of money into a complicated and risky project. If it was started in say 2011, the future would have been a lot more bright for it. Could you imagine back in 2006 or so telling the bank you wanted to buy a block that is mostly empty, renovate/expand it?
    good comments.

Why do posters want to blame the city [[or cities, as a more general comment) when development, esp. in cities like Detroit can be very speculative. That block was hardly a 'slam dunk' for redevelopment success.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    good comments.

Why do posters want to blame the city [[or cities, as a more general comment) when development, esp. in cities like Detroit can be very speculative. That block was hardly a 'slam dunk' for redevelopment success.
    Possibly because Detroit bureaucracy had a way of "slow walking" permits till a chunk of the action went to "friends and family".